The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Last Surviving WW1 Veteran Passes

Default Last Surviving WW1 Veteran Passes

http://news.discovery.com/history/fr...#mkcpgn=fbmil1

The old tough codger was 110! Bet he could tell some stories.

The article says he spent 3 years in a Japanese prisoner of war camp. If this is accurate, it would make him a veteran of both WW1 and WW2.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

Thanks for posting.
    Another chapter of our history fades into memory only.

When our grandkids ask about us knowing a WWI veteran.....it will be like us asking our grandparents about knowing Civil War veterans. Kind of makes time shrink a little.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    http://news.discovery.com/history/fr...#mkcpgn=fbmil1

The old tough codger was 110! Bet he could tell some stories.

The article says he spent 3 years in a Japanese prisoner of war camp. If this is accurate, it would make him a veteran of both WW1 and WW2.
    It would be fun to share a cigar and a glass of scotch with the old boy.

I would shake his hand, look him in the eye, thank him for what he gave me.......and apoligize for giving it away!!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

The youngest of the WW2 vets are now in thier mid80's.

My daughter is an LPN at one of the local nursing homes. She was telling me yesterday that one of the residence had a visitor from a person that served in Saipan with him. Told my daughter that the next timw he comes to visit to call me. I've already sat and spent a lot of time asking the old vets about thier WW2 experinces. This would be one more to take notes of and keep in my spiral folder.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

Franco,
    That spiral notebook will be a national treasure someday if you fill it up!

My Mother in law is a Philipino nurse who emigrated here during the nursing shortage of the early 70s. One of her first patients was the mother of a fellow nurse. She had a huge scar on her abdomen, but wouldn't say what surgery it was from.

My MIL asked her friend (her daughter) and was told that during WWII, the Japanese commandeered her hospital, raped all the young nurses, bayonetted them and threw them into a culvert to die. She played dead, laying amongst her coworkers until night, and made her escape.

When I think I'm having a sh!$$y day at work, I think of her. BTW, all her daughters became US Army nurses after coming to the US, as did my MIL. I'm very proud of her.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Couple of years ago, I met a civilian that was in the Phillippines during WW2 that was interned in a civilian prison camp, San Thomas. Foreign nationals were off limits for abuse but what the Japanese did to the locals was beyond human imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Couple of years ago, I met a civilian that was in the Phillippines during WW2 that was interned in a civilian prison camp, San Thomas. Foreign nationals were off limits for abuse but what the Japanese did to the locals was beyond human imagination.
    Yeah, there's not a lot of love lost between the Philipines and Japan, to say the least.