The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Americans adamantly opposed to cuts in Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, K-12 educ

Banned

Default Americans adamantly opposed to cuts in Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, K-12 educ

WASHINGTON — As politicians in Washington — and across the country — seek to cut spending to reduce their budget deficits, the latest NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll finds that the American public is divided about how far they should go.
    In the poll, eight in 10 respondents say they are concerned about the growing federal deficit and the national debt, but more than 60 percent — including key swing-voter groups — are concerned that major cuts from Congress could impact their lives and their families.
    What’s more, while Americans find some budget cuts acceptable, they are adamantly opposed to cuts in Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security and K-12 education.
    And although a combined 22 percent of poll-takers name the deficit/government spending as the top issue the federal government should address, 37 percent believe job creation/economic growth is the No. 1 issue.

Republican pollster Bill McInturff, who conducted the survey with Democratic pollster Peter D. Hart, says these results are a “cautionary sign” for a Republican Party pursuing deep budget cuts.
    He points out that the Americans who are most concerned about spending cuts are core Republicans and Tea Party supporters, not independents and swing voters.
    “It may be hard to understand why a person might jump off a cliff, unless you understand they’re being chased by a tiger,” he said. “That tiger is the Tea Party.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41876558/ns/politics/

I sure hope that GAO report gets plenty of mileage ... there can be plenty of cuts that don't change a think at the consumer level.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Everyone wants the government to cut spending as long as it only affects someone else. Evidently none of us are willing to take a collective hit for the team. It's the same mentality that got Greece in a bind. Unfortunately, our leaders are politicians and don't have what it takes to make tough decisions because they are too worried about the next election.
    Matt McKenzie

It takes as long as it takes. Sometimes longer.

"It is better to own a $50,000 dog and have an old truck and crummy equipment than to own $50,000 worth of new equipment and a crummy dog..." EdA

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    WASHINGTON — As politicians in Washington — and across the country — seek to cut spending to reduce their budget deficits, the latest NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll finds that the American public is divided about how far they should go.
    In the poll, eight in 10 respondents say they are concerned about the growing federal deficit and the national debt, but more than 60 percent — including key swing-voter groups — are concerned that major cuts from Congress could impact their lives and their families.
    What’s more, while Americans find some budget cuts acceptable, they are adamantly opposed to cuts in Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security and K-12 education.
    And although a combined 22 percent of poll-takers name the deficit/government spending as the top issue the federal government should address, 37 percent believe job creation/economic growth is the No. 1 issue.

Republican pollster Bill McInturff, who conducted the survey with Democratic pollster Peter D. Hart, says these results are a “cautionary sign” for a Republican Party pursuing deep budget cuts.
    He points out that the Americans who are most concerned about spending cuts are core Republicans and Tea Party supporters, not independents and swing voters.
    “It may be hard to understand why a person might jump off a cliff, unless you understand they’re being chased by a tiger,” he said. “That tiger is the Tea Party.”

Well, if you progressives don't like the policies of the fiscal conservatives, vote them out in 2012.

In the mean time, they are doing what the electorate ELECTED them to do.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Hookset View Post
    Everyone wants the government to cut spending as long as it only affects someone else. Evidently none of us are willing to take a collective hit for the team. It's the same mentality that got Greece in a bind. Unfortunately, our leaders are politicians and don't have what it takes to make tough decisions because they are too worried about the next election.

Nail on the head right there,everyone wants a bi partisan compromise as long as its the other side that is doing the compromising
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Right on, brother! I feel your pain and I'm right there with ya'. I'm also adamantly opposed to aging. I hate waking up on my birthday and being one year older so I've been working on a WayBack machine and I'm almost finished and once I'm finished I'm going to set the WayBack dials to 1960 and shoot myself back in time. But this time I'm going to buy stock in that fruit company just like Gump!

But for the rest of you rock sacks who are adamantly opposed to spending cuts let me make a couple of suggestions. First, grow a mustache, (it'll hide the stretch marks) and go out and purchase a pair of knee pads. With knee pads in tow fly to China and beg the ChiComs to loan you more stash because we're freaking broke and we don't have any stash other than what others give us or what the Ber-Nank prints.

Secondly, draft up a contract to be signed by all your sons and daughters (grandchildren, too) that will force them to work two or three jobs simultaneously throughout their lives so that they can pay for the ridiculous lifestyle you promised to yourself.

And will one of you adamantly opposed clingers please count up the number of government institutions in this country that aren't bankrupt and let us know what the number is.

We live in Cuba now.

adamantly opposed to cuts in Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security and K-12 education.
    I think that these things have to be separated from each other.

A "working poor" health insurance program for adults (children are covered under another program) in PA was recently shut down. The monthly premium for an adult was $36! Medicare recipients pay something over $100/mo. for Part B. The PA program simply went broke. Seems that it could have lasted longer if the participants were paying at least what a Medicare recipient is paying?

Catch 22 to O'care is that these people can't go into the state risk-pools until they are without coverage for at least 6 mos. And the premiums for these risk pools are a LOT higher than $36/mo. Wouldn't it have been better for all concerned if the premium for the discontinued program had been a little higher to keep the program available? I'm guessing that 550,000 people see that now.

I think we have to look at what our expenditures in K-12 education are yielding before we simply throw more money into something that isn't producing a very high quality product.

We quickly forget that SS would be in pretty good shape if the Congress hadn't filched the fund with accounting hocus pocus, and started adding benefits to the program that were never intended in the original concept.

I've gotten several phone call surveys, and most of the time the questions are asked in such a way that the outcome can almost be predicted from the way the questions are asked. When I run into those kinds of questions, I refuse to answer one way or another, as there is no way that a simple yes or no is sufficient.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Well, if you progressives don't like the policies of the fiscal conservatives, vote them out in 2012.

In the mean time, they are doing what the electorate ELECTED them to do.

RK
    Yes, the conservatives got elected but in their campaigning did they state what they were going to do and how they were going to do it ie busting unions, cutting $900,000 out of school funds ect.?????????

Yes, the conservatives got elected but in their campaigning did they state what they were going to do and how they were going to do it ie busting unions, cutting $900,000 out of school funds ect.?????????
    Yep, in fact most of the weenie libs that got elected did it by pretending to be conservative (till they took the oath)
    Bill Davis

The Republicans and Scott Walker in particular were quite clear in their message.
    I had no confusion whatsoever.
    I worked for Walker and knew exactly what his plans were/are.

And they got elected!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis