The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46

Thread: SHOCKER! GM Sells Just 281 Volts In Feb, Nissan 67 Leafs

  1. #21
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,658

    Default

    Most state and municiple governments mandate the purchase of domestic vehicles.

    I don't know if there is a Fed incentive to buy GM or the Volt. I wouldn't surprised it there was.

    Compared to other economy cars available, not the wise choice for state or municiple dollars.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Blackstone, what is being said is that for the most part, private parties, the people, are not buyers of the Volts. Mostly the purchases are from governement entities with our tax dollars. Thus, buyers without a choice/say in the matter.

    Not true. All of the scheduled production are “sold” orders, much of it for retail customers. If the dealers are getting sticker for the vehicles, they are getting it from retail customer, so there must be demand. Have you ever heard of a dealer getting sticker for a vehicle no one wants? Government, municipalities & utilities never pay what retail customers do, so they aren’t the ones paying sticker. That only leaves retail customers.

    Everything government entities buy, from police cars to computers to paperclips is bought with your tax dollars. You don’t have a say in any of it, so what makes this different?

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    And if weren't for the gov purchases (who have a vested interest in GM's investment) the Volts numbers would be even lower, hence the "artificial" inflation of the sales numbers.
    First, only the Fed. Gov. has an investment in GM. A lot of these sales are going to state and local municipalities that have no investment in GM. Second, sales are only counted when the vehicles are delivered to the end customer. A large portion of the government and municipal orders have not been produced and delivered yet, so there is no artificial inflation of sales. GM also sales a lot of pickups, vans & other cars to government and municipal customers, so you’re saying all GM’s sales numbers for almost every model are artificially inflated too? What about Ford? They sell a lot of vehicles to the Fed. Gov. and municipalities. Are those artificial inflated sales? They sell about 90% of the police cars in this country with Crown Vic. Are those artificial inflated sales? The truth is, a sale is a sale. It doesn’t matter who you sell to, as long as you sell.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Most state and municiple governments mandate the purchase of domestic vehicles.

    I don't know if there is a Fed incentive to buy GM or the Volt. I wouldn't surprised it there was.

    Compared to other economy cars available, not the wise choice for state or municiple dollars.
    Thatís not true. There are some state and local governments that mandate purchasing domestic vehicles when possible, but most donít. Most states do have mandates to purchase a certain amount of alternative fuel vehicles. However, they donít limit it to domestic vehicles. A lot of them purchased Prius or Honda hybrids to meet that requirement.

    There is no Fed. incentive to buy GM products. That would be illegal. However, there is a Fed. tax credit of $7,500 for retail and commercial buyers. State and local governments donít qualify for the tax credit because they are tax exempt.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    That’s not true. There are some state and local governments that mandate purchasing domestic vehicles when possible, but most don’t. Most states do have mandates to purchase a certain amount of alternative fuel vehicles. However, they don’t limit it to domestic vehicles. A lot of them purchased Prius or Honda hybrids to meet that requirement.

    There is no Fed. incentive to buy GM products. That would be illegal. However, there is a Fed. tax credit of $7,500 for retail and commercial buyers. State and local governments don’t qualify for the tax credit because they are tax exempt.
    It may not be true in the unionized states but it is true in most southern states.

    All the bigger cities in La. including New Olreans have a domestic only dictate. In fact, a very high percentage of the oil companies also have a domestic only dictate for fleet and company cars. You won't find many Titans or Tundras in the oil flied fleet and our Mayor drives a Tarus SHO.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    It may not be true in the unionized states but it is true in most southern states.

    All the bigger cities in La. including New Olreans have a domestic only dictate. In fact, a very high percentage of the oil companies also have a domestic only dictate for fleet and company cars. You won't find many Titans or Tundras in the oil flied fleet and our Mayor drives a Tarus SHO.
    They don't have any domestic mandate here in KS or MO. However, I'm a big proponent of buying American made products of any kind when possible, so it doesn't bother me at all.

  6. #26
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    I guess I don't understand your point. Buyers always have a choice whether or not to buy. Who do you think is forcing them to buy a Volt? They wanted electric vehicles for their fleet, and have been standing in line to get one or more since the vehicle was announced. I have electric utilities where I am that are mad because they won't be able to get one until the 2012 model year.
    Military agency dictated from Washington that they WILL buy electric/hybrid for their local fleet whether they want it or not. The local base did not want them, but was told order them anyway.
    Bill Davis

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    N.E.corner of WA state
    Posts
    1,467

    Default

    How much "dirty" energy does it take to make the electricity needed to recharge the batteries ?



    .

  8. #28
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc E View Post
    How much "dirty" energy does it take to make the electricity needed to recharge the batteries ?



    .
    More than Blackstone will ever admit...
    Bill Davis

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Military agency dictated from Washington that they WILL buy electric/hybrid for their local fleet whether they want it or not. The local base did not want them, but was told order them anyway.
    The Fed has had those types of mandates for years now. The Fed is the buyer, not the military agency, so again, they made the choice. Buyers always have a choice.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc E View Post
    How much "dirty" energy does it take to make the electricity needed to recharge the batteries ?



    .
    On average, it will take less "dirty" energy to recharge Volt batteries for a year than it takes to run central air in the average home, run a refrigerator/freezer, or an electric water heater.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •