The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: SHOCKER! GM Sells Just 281 Volts In Feb, Nissan 67 Leafs

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    On average, it will take less "dirty" energy to recharge Volt batteries for a year than it takes to run central air in the average home, run a refrigerator/freezer, or an electric water heater.
    citation????
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

On average, it will take less "dirty" energy to recharge Volt batteries for a year than it takes to run central air in the average home, run a refrigerator/freezer, or an electric water heater.
    The difference being there's no alternative to an air conditioner, refrigerator/freezer, or an electric water heater.

How much energy to make a battery pack when the car already has an engine?

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    More than Blackstone will ever admit...
    You continue to act as if Iím trying to get people buy a Volt. Iím not. You continue to try to find something wrong just so you can bash the car. The reality is, itís not perfect, but itís not that bad either. Of course, thereís dirty energy involved in charging the batteries, but thereís dirty energy involved in producing gas for a car with an internal combustion engine. So, what is it you think Iím not willing to admit?

The Fed has had those types of mandates for years now. The Fed is the buyer, not the military agency, so again, they made the choice. Buyers always have a choice.
    I don't know who made the "Choice", but it was a poor one, as those cars are just sitting there. The end users won't drive them...
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by sandyg View Post
    The difference being there's no alternative to an air conditioner, refrigerator/freezer, or an electric water heater.
    Of course there are alternatives. We haven't always had central air. Open a window. Central air is just a convinence. We had ice boxes before refrigerators, and heated water before we had electric water heaters. They are simply more efficient ways of doing thing, but they still require the use of dirty energy to operate.

How much energy to make a battery pack when the car already has an engine?
    I donít know, but I would wager it is far less energy than what is already being used to produce all the industrial use batteries, car batteries, computer batteries, etc. we currently consume. The Volt has a combustion engine, but that engine does not propel the car, it is simply a generator.

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    citation????
    I'm not sure I understand your question.

Quote Originally Posted by TxHillHunter View Post
    Think you're right.....wondering how much the battery-dependent vehicles will drop in resale value when people start to realize how the batteries don't last and are really expensive to replace.
    The batteries are warranted for 8 years/100k miles. By then, if they need a new battery, advancements in technology will probably have made them cheaper to replace.

I'm not sure I understand your question.
    You provided a claim of charging criteria and a comparison to some known appliances. I was asking that you cite your source.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Of course there are alternatives. We haven't always had central air. Open a window. Central air is just a convinence. We had ice boxes before refrigerators, and heated water before we had electric water heaters. They are simply more efficient ways of doing thing, but they still require the use of dirty energy to operate.

I donít know, but I would wager it is far less energy than what is already being used to produce all the industrial use batteries, car batteries, computer batteries, etc. we currently consume. The Volt has a combustion engine, but that engine does not propel the car, it is simply a generator.
    And the alternative to a car is a horse. What's your point?

I'm talking about the electric car battery pack, not batteries in general. If it has a combustion engine, why not connect it to a drivetrain? Oh, yeah, then it would be a Chevy Cruze.

Why do you keep defending the Volt? You're not going to change our minds so why not drop it?

And the alternative to a car is a horse. What's your point?

I'm talking about the electric car battery pack, not batteries in general. If it has a combustion engine, why not connect it to a drivetrain? Oh, yeah, then it would be a Chevy Cruze.
    I thought that was fairly obvious. It would defeat the purpose of it being an electric car.

Why do you keep defending the Volt? You're not going to change our minds so why not drop it?
    Iím not really defending the Volt. I just think itís ridiculous to bash something you know almost nothing about. Quite a few of the statements made on here against the Volt and electric vehicles in general has been incorrect. I just thought you might want correct information. I guess I was wrong.

By the way, you should feel free not to continue to comment on it yourself. Obviously, you arenít changing my mind either, so why donít you drop it?