RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Do you carry a concealed firearm?

Do you carry concealed? gdg

16K views 130 replies 86 participants last post by  Dog Pro 
#1 ·
The number of CHL carriers in Texas went through the roof when Obama took office. Just curious about RTF members...

SM

#3 ·
Yes................

#7 ·
My cousin once looked at me and asked "Do you have a gun on?" I said, "I've got my pants on don't I?"

Lately I have gotten more lax. I always have a gun in my vehicle, but sometimes I don't walk around with it on. We have moved to a pretty sedate town. But when I go to Macon, it is locked and cocked baby!

#9 ·
I'd love to have one just because... Getting one in California takes an act of congress and knowing A LOT of the right people. Can't wait to get out of here!!

BHB

#10 ·
A few years ago a buddy and I were sighting in our turkey guns and as I approached the turkey target I drew my Sig from the small of my back and emptied the mag into the turkeys head. When I got back to the line my buddy said I have never seen you carry before. I quickly corrected him and told him he has never seen me not carry.

#11 ·
I first got my CHL in Texas back in 1998. Mostly because when you get stopped by a cop and show them your CHL that tells them you are a good person and will get you out of speeding tickets. I know for a fact that many cops will always let a CHL carrier off with a warning.

I got lazy and quit carrying on my person, but i always had a pistol in the glove box. Well last year I walked out of two guys breaking into my truck. They were in the cab of the truck and had the dash ripped off and were removing the DVD/Nav system. I chased them on foot and they were never to be seen again. If i were armed, they would have been in jail.

Since then, i carry a pistol just like i carry my cell phone or wallet.

SM

#26 ·
Shane, there is a huge gap between your first two options on that poll. They are essentially "always" or "rarely" with regard to carrying on your person. I fall somewhere in between. My answer would be "more often than not on my person and always in my vehicle" which is closer to the first option than the second so I chose the first option in the poll. My carrying practices have nothing to do with the Obama administration. I've had a concealed carry license since 1988. Originally I bought it to protect myself from harassment from law enforcement and to allow myself to carry on the rare occasion. Back then the laws about carrying in your vehicle w/o a permit in Georgia were very muddled and two different cops would give you two different answers about what was OK and what wasn't. The laws have since been clarified (to the benefit of gun owners) quite a bit.

I first got my CHL in Texas back in 1998. Mostly because when you get stopped by a cop and show them your CHL that tells them you are a good person and will get you out of speeding tickets. I know for a fact that many cops will always let a CHL carrier off with a warning.
I've never heard this might be of use. When they ask you for your drivers license, registration and proof of insurance, what is your excuse for presenting your CHL?

If I have to go in towards Atlanta, I'm packing.
My rule for going inside I-285 is "full tank of gas, fully charged cell phone and a loaded pistol." That is as close as I know how to be ready for anything.

don't hold your breath Laniee. I hate to tell you what it's like in NJ to try and get a permit. You have to be an active or former LEO, or have a connection. The average citizen is SOL.

but that doesn't make it advisable to mess with some of us ;)
I think she was referring to the attempts that have been made to pass a FEDERAL law that would require every state that issues concealed carry permits to recognize those permits from all other states. I don't know what the chances of getting that legislation passed and signed are with Obama in office, but the state of NJ would have no say so in the matter other than the votes from their congressmen.

This is something the NRA has been pushing for and something I think we've got a shot at getting, but it is probably going to require a Republican congress and president...not that there aren't Democrat congressmen who would support it because there are, but so many of the big city Dems are so liberal and the Dem presidential candidates of late just keep getting more and more liberal and anti gun that it is highly unlikely that anyone the Dems would nominate for president would sign such legislation. More and more states keep passing laws that are increasingly friendly to gun owners on this topic that I think we've got a shot at getting this thing passed, but I doubt we'll ever have the votes to override a presidential veto on it.

#13 ·
I've had mine for 6 yrs I usually only carry in the winter when I can wear a coat or hoodie. But there is always a glock 26 with a small of back holster in any vehicle I'm riding in. And I don't go to states with no reciprocity laws. Unless I absolutely have to.

#16 ·
We just got our CHL this past Fall - figured better do it before, well you know...

I hope they pass the law that says all states must honor a CHL, just like they do a drivers license....

FOM

#22 ·
We just got our CHL this past Fall - figured better do it before, well you know...

I hope they pass the law that says all states must honor a CHL, just like they do a drivers license....

FOM
don't hold your breath Laniee. I hate to tell you what it's like in NJ to try and get a permit. You have to be an active or former LEO, or have a connection. The average citizen is SOL.

but that doesn't make it advisable to mess with some of us ;)

#17 ·
Isn't the Federal Security Commission checking up on every blog post throughout the country? Nope, I'd Never even consider carrying a gun, especially loaded! They're all locked up in three different safes, Gun in one, magazines in another, Ammo in yet another!!! Wait I take that back I don't even own a gun!! ;)

#18 ·
I've had my license since 1994, and I always keep an gun under the seat of my vehicle. Whether or not I carry on person when I'm out, depends on where I am. I live in an area where you really don't have to worry about needing to be armed. If I have to go in towards Atlanta, I'm packing.

#20 ·
Always in my truck. A lot on my body.

In my truck if I need to put an alligator in a training program not to retrieve my dog.

#21 ·
Without getting into a pissing match, i'd like to hear from the folks that do not think civilians should be armed. I'm always interested to hear opposing philosophies.

My philosophy is simple... the people that you, or I, should be worried about carrying a gun are not going to go through the trouble of getting a license to do so. If the bad guys are carrying, so am I.

Many studies have shown a drastic reduction in the crime rate when the good guys are armed. There has been a lot of talk about this very subject on college campuses, where concealed carry is allowed.

SM

#30 ·
...i'd like to hear from the folks that do not think civilians should be armed. I'm always interested to hear opposing philosophies.
No, you wouldn't. You just want a pissing match.

...when the good guys are armed. ...
It's a question of who is a "good guy" - more specifically, who has the judgment to "pack heat" drunk in the bars, etc...

Hell, I don't trust a significant fraction of the folks speeding down the highways to use good judgment...

#23 ·
Someone posted earlier about carrying a Glock 26 9mm in a small of back holster.

How do the rest of you carry? I realize there are many forums available on this subject, but i don't know the people on those forums and mostly don't care what they do or how they do it. :)

I rarely carry small of back, it's just not comfortable, no matter how small the gun.

I carry IWB at 4 o'clock on occassion, but 9 times out of 10, i carry in a pager pal. It's supposed to be used with a cell phone case or something like it, but i just leave the belt clip exposed.

Here's pics... Disclaimer to everyone.... STFU about my shorts. They are cool and you are mad because you are too old to pull them off.

The clip goes over your waistband and belt. Smooth side against your pants, gun side against your drawers. Sits low enough to bend with you when you sit. VERY VERY comfortable. The cross draw is not a super fast way to get to your weapon, but that is not of primary importance to me. Comfort (otherwise i wouldn't carry) is primary.

Shown with the Kel-Tec PF-9. Same holster will carry a 1911, or revolver, or LCP .380. I can switch out guns and always use the same holster.

The gun is on the left side of the picture, also my left, for right handed cross draw. It is 100% unnoticable through the clothes and i regularly forget i'm wearing it. You can sort of see the metal clip. I carry my phone in my pocket. But if i used a phone case, it would be better concealed.

#24 ·
An experience in 1984 in Ohio of being "stalked" before it was given that name: Had 2 tires slashed at the same time in the university staff parking lot where I worked; was followed home a number of times - afraid to stop at the house because I lived alone in the country so just kept driving back to town to friends' homes [no cell phone then]; attacked and thrown around in my own home previous to the tire & being followed episodes - all by the same man. No CC license available at that time in Ohio. Lived in terror for a couple of years until a girlfriend of mine called me at work one day. Told me that man was in the news - suicide by a shotgun in his mouth. Never thought I would have ever felt so good to hear such terrible news. I knew then that it was by the Grace of God he hadn't killed me earlier. All that said, finally moved to FL, got CC license here, learned how to shoot and won't hesitate to defend myself and will never be a put in that fearful position again - if I can help it. Always travel with the dogs, never park day or nite in an isolated area, always watch around me, live by looking back over my shoulder in unfamiliar places. I learned my lessons well - those kind of lessons you never forget.

So yes, I carry where ever legally I can and will do so till I take my last breath.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.