The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: $7.5 Million in Damage

Default $7.5 Million in Damage

What a shame.
    It's OK though, I mean it was a good cause, right??
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

Madison - State officials said Thursday that damage to the marble inside and out the State Capitol would cost an estimated $7.5 million.

Cari Anne Renlund, chief legal counsel for the state Department of Administration, said in Dane County court that estimates of damage to marble includes $6 million to repair damaged marble inside the Capitol, $1 million for damage outside and $500,000 for costs to supervise the damage.

Much of the damage apparently has come from tape used to put up signs and placards at the Capitol.

It was not immediately clear how the estimates were made, though the state is apparently relying on opinions by historical architects, one of whom works for the U.S. Park Service.

One concern is the residue from tape that the state says is causing damage to stone and other surfaces inside the Capitol.

Michele Curran, an architectural historian for the National Parks Service who coordinates national historic landmarks in Wisconsin, said she didn’t know how the state had arrived at its damage figures.

She said certain kinds of tape can leave lasting residues on surfaces such as marble or wood if they are improperly removed. But she said only a professional cleaning service experienced in such work and familiar with the situation in the state Capitol could estimate any possible costs.

“They need a quote from a company that specializes in cleaning historic surfaces,” Curran said.

Many of the papers and banners posted in the state Capitol were put up using painter’s tape, which is employed to minimize effects on walls.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/117340918.html
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    What a shame.
    It's OK though, I mean it was a good cause, right??
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

Madison - State officials said Thursday that damage to the marble inside and out the State Capitol would cost an estimated $7.5 million.

Cari Anne Renlund, chief legal counsel for the state Department of Administration, said in Dane County court that estimates of damage to marble includes $6 million to repair damaged marble inside the Capitol, $1 million for damage outside and $500,000 for costs to supervise the damage.

Much of the damage apparently has come from tape used to put up signs and placards at the Capitol.

It was not immediately clear how the estimates were made, though the state is apparently relying on opinions by historical architects, one of whom works for the U.S. Park Service.

One concern is the residue from tape that the state says is causing damage to stone and other surfaces inside the Capitol.

Michele Curran, an architectural historian for the National Parks Service who coordinates national historic landmarks in Wisconsin, said she didn’t know how the state had arrived at its damage figures.

She said certain kinds of tape can leave lasting residues on surfaces such as marble or wood if they are improperly removed. But she said only a professional cleaning service experienced in such work and familiar with the situation in the state Capitol could estimate any possible costs.

“They need a quote from a company that specializes in cleaning historic surfaces,” Curran said.

Many of the papers and banners posted in the state Capitol were put up using painter’s tape, which is employed to minimize effects on walls.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/117340918.html
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________

RK
    I will supervise the damage for $250,000 and save Wisconsin $250,000 And probably could get union workers to to the clean the walls for half the price.
    Last edited by Roger Perry; 03-04-2011 at 02:47 PM.

I hope the "professional cleaning service" is a union shop!

Come now, do we really NEED extravagant marble floors and pillars to conduct the people's business. Sounds like lavish wasting of tax payers' money to me. Lets cut Johnny's school and sports budget so the governor can work in marble-lined halls with no (Heaven forbid!) TAPE RESIDUE on the walls!!!!

Ugh! My dog just tracked in some dirt on the carpet. I must hire a professional historic architect and cleaning service to remedy this travesty upon my home!!! Any of you taxpayers from WI want to pitch in and help me out too? I know just how the gov feels. So dirty.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

I just really don't understand how you can condone and dismiss this total lack of respect for the PEOPLES Capital building.

Wait, knowing you 2.....yes I can understand it.

RK
    Last edited by road kill; 03-04-2011 at 02:58 PM.
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    I hope the "professional cleaning service" is a union shop!

Come now, do we really NEED extravagant marble floors and pillars to conduct the people's business. Sounds like lavish wasting of tax payers' money to me. Lets cut Johnny's school and sports budget so the governor can work in marble-lined halls with no (Heaven forbid!) TAPE RESIDUE on the walls!!!!

Ugh! My dog just tracked in some dirt on the carpet. I must hire a professional historic architect and cleaning service to remedy this travesty upon my home!!! Any of you taxpayers from WI want to pitch in and help me out too? I know just how the gov feels. So dirty.
    None of those obsevations were made by the Gov and if you have ever had to deal with damage to very old structures, you would not be as snarky. Marble especially old marble is not a forgiving material. The older it ges, the more care it requires. One of the reasons it is not used much anymore in high traffic areas. But the Wisconsin State house was built in a time when all big government buildings, as well as most commercial buildings used quite a bit of it, as well as granite, kasota stone and even sandstone.

I bet the unions and all of the rally supportors will pitch in to help restore the damage done.
    Last edited by Golddogs; 03-04-2011 at 03:01 PM.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

i call B.S............

heck, i'll quit my job in Ct., do the job in 2 weeks and only charge $1 million.......-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Paul, if you get the contract i'll give you 20 hrs a day hard cold labor for the 2 weeks for just 50K.
    "SR Isabel's Going for gold"
    "Kallie's Anatomy Of Grey"

Both lazy house pets untill you ask, "do you want to go play"!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    i call B.S............

heck, i'll quit my job in Ct., do the job in 2 weeks and only charge $1 million.......-Paul
    Damn, I just got under bid by Paul. Paul, are you using illegals to wash the walls????

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post

I just really don't understand how you can condone and dismiss this total lack of respect for the PEOPLES Capital building.

Wait, knowing you 2.....yes I can understand it.

RK
    Is that Roger and Little Rog? How Cute! Two Peas in a pod!
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    None of those obsevations were made by the Gov and if you have ever had to deal with damage to very old structures, you would not be as snarky. Marble especially old marble is not a forgiving material. The older it ges, the more care it requires. One of the reasons it is not used much anymore in high traffic areas. But the Wisconsin State house was built in a time when all big government buildings, as well as most commercial buildings used quite a bit of it, as well as granite, kasota stone and even sandstone.

I bet the unions and all of the rally supportors will pitch in to help restore the damage done.
    Yeah, that's why most of us have formica or Corcoran, and not marble in our kitchens. Maybe the governor could take a lesson from those of us who are responsible with our spending!

And yes, when it was built, we had money. Well, we're not in Kansas anymore, time to show a little fiscal responsibility and clean it up and move on. I'm not shedding tears because of tape residue!

Oh, and just to show that I can cut and paste too, here's a cozy little pic or huntingman and RK!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!