The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Honor Code?

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Unrealistic requirments of young, healthy red-blooded coeds is why they never work. I'm sure if they really looked around they would discover this isn't an isolated case.
    If you can't live up to the contract, don't sign it and take the money.

My Dad taught me that.
    Thanks Pop!!!

stan b
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    If you can't live up to the contract, don't sign it and take the money.

My Dad taught me that.
    Thanks Pop!!!

stan b
    AMEN to that! Ignoring the common view that such an expectation is "unrealistic" just because some can't handle it - and instead maintaining the honor of your word is what I learned from my dad as well RK!

I refuse to accept that it's unrealistic for a man to honor his word.

Senior Member precisionlabradors's Avatar

plenty of people make it through that school without having sex. it's not impossible.
    find me on the web

I'm not familiar w/the honor code at BYU, but UVA had one (still does, although I believe it's been watered down a bit). When I was there, you signed a pledge that you agreed to abide by it with the understanding that lying, cheating and stealing were honor offenses that would get you expelled. It is a good concept although during my 4 years there UVA never had the outstanding sports teams of the other ACC schools without honor codes. But that was also in part because Virginia did not relax admissions standings for athletes, either and all of theirs used to be able to read and write.

I agree with Frank that it's not very realistic to expect college students to abstain from sex, but there's nothing wrong with a code of honesty and accountability at institutes of higher learning. Far too few of them even care. And I also agree with Stan: If you know the rules going in and especially if you're getting a free ride, you don't get a free pass because you choose to ignore them.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

He went to the coach and told him what he had done. Good for the coach to uphold their rules but I wonder how this will play outside their religious community?
    Anyone here ever been on the BYU campus?. Lots of different stuff there. I wonder if he moves to southern Utah if he can then have plenty of wives?
    While there once on Friday night in our pre game walk through I had a BYU Officer tell me I could not smoke my cigar in the out of doors on BYU property.
    I lived in Salt Lake City for 18 months, nice place to visit, judge or run.
    What schools had no arrests of athletes last year? Take a look at the last SI. TCU and Colorado. Poor old Dan Hawkins won the battle but loss the war!
    This is what he was all about!:
    Vinny last hunting year
    53 pheasants in South Dakota 200 + ducks in Idaho
    Lasting memories Vinny was 13+ years old!

Quote Originally Posted by sinner View Post
    He went to the coach and told him what he had done. Good for the coach to uphold their rules but I wonder how this will play outside their religious community?
    Anyone here ever been on the BYU campus?. Lots of different stuff there. I wonder if he moves to southern Utah if he can then have plenty of wives?
    While there once on Friday night in our pre game walk through I had a BYU Officer tell me I could not smoke my cigar in the out of doors on BYU property.
    I lived in Salt Lake City for 18 months, nice place to visit, judge or run.
    What schools had no arrests of athletes last year? Take a look at the last SI. TCU and Colorado. Poor old Dan Hawkins won the battle but loss the war!

drive down University drive regularly on my way to eastern Idaho because its a shortcut to IH 80 and Evanston Wy...still looking for a Starbucks, I know where one location is, have it bookmarked in the Garmin...they closed the other one off I-15 just outside of Provo
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Marv, being jealous of the SEC is not healthy. Just because they are heads and shoulders better in Football than any other conference is no reason to get yourself so worked up over them. Last time I checked, the NCAA governs most of college Football.

Yes, we all know the BYU students are abstaining from sex. With a school that Draconian, I hate to see what goes on behind closed doors. I would think a much higher incident of boy on boy/girl on girl kind of sex. Those are he things that happen in a repressive society/school. If they think they can stop young adults from having hetro sex then they aren't as smart as I thought they were.
    I believe it will play quite well with BYU's donors. I donate to a university for their stand on refusing government help, which teaches a lesson early . & I have no thoughts on the SEC, except they apparently have low conduct standards.

UW just had a kid busted, marijuana, who had the potential to get significant playing time at the RB position. Mother is a cop . The leading scorer in the PAC-10 this year gets busted for the same offense, WSU is a bubble team & he's not on it so they are hurting. His dad, the 1978 #1 pick in the NBA draft is not very happy with his kid & is very public about it.

IMO - if young folks go through their formative years without ethical guidance adults have not done their job. I applaud all involved including the young man for their actions, though I believe the code a little puritan.

Back when guys my size could play 4 positions on many teams & BYU was ranked in the top 10 regularly I was offered the opportunity to go to BYU. Not sure I would have signed that pledge .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post

UW just had a kid busted, marijuana, who had the potential to get significant playing time at the RB position. Mother is a cop . The leading scorer in the PAC-10 this year gets busted for the same offense, WSU is a bubble team & he's not on it so they are hurting. His dad, the 1978 #1 pick in the NBA draft is not very happy with his kid & is very public about it.
    youre talking about Mychal Thompson's (former Laker and T-Blazer) son, love the fact that Mychal blasted his son on his talk radio program in LA and basically challenged his son to man up and accept his punishment and own up to his mistake....we need more parents like MT
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    youre talking about Mychal Thompson's (former Laker and T-Blazer) son, love the fact that Mychal blasted his son on his talk radio program in LA and basically challenged his son to man up and accept his punishment and own up to his mistake....we need more parents like MT
    You can't buy it and you can't create success & happiness for you children. You can only hope that they want it and do your best. It is tough out there for many young people today in many ways.
    This is what he was all about!:
    Vinny last hunting year
    53 pheasants in South Dakota 200 + ducks in Idaho
    Lasting memories Vinny was 13+ years old!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I believe it will play quite well with BYU's donors. I donate to a university for their stand on refusing government help, which teaches a lesson early . & I have no thoughts on the SEC, except they apparently have low conduct standards.

IMO - if young folks go through their formative years without ethical guidance adults have not done their job. I applaud all involved including the young man for their actions, though I believe the code a little puritan.

Back when guys my size could play 4 positions on many teams & BYU was ranked in the top 10 regularly I was offered the opportunity to go to BYU. Not sure I would have signed that pledge .
    All of the major conferences have similar standards. I understand that sectarian schools are different.

I wouldn't sign that pledge as I think it important to live the total college experience
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge