The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 68

Thread: Any Nuclear Accident Experts on POTUS?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,125

    Default Any Nuclear Accident Experts on POTUS?

    What are the chances of avoiding a meltdown and the release of radiation further than a 6 mile zone?
    Paul? Anyone else?

    .............


    When an earthquake strikes, the plants automatically shut down, but the radioactive material continues to decay and produce heat. Reactor cooling systems, which rely on electric pumps to circulate water around the nuclear core, are designed to prevent overheating and pressure buildups.
    The earthquake in Fukushima caused a power outage and damaged the plant's backup diesel generator, forcing the pumps to run on battery power. Workers have been unable to restore the systems.
    Japan's nuclear safety agency said pressure inside the reactor had risen to abnormal levels and radiation levels inside the facility had surged to 1,000 times more than normal.
    Last edited by Franco; 03-11-2011 at 08:45 PM.
    The Libertarian Party believes that all persons are entitled to keep the fruits of their labor. A call for the repeal of the income tax, abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We support the passage of a "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the U.S. Constitution, provided that the budget is balanced exclusively by cutting expenditures, and not by raising taxes. LP.org

  2. #2
    Senior Member M&K's Retrievers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Royse City, TX
    Posts
    5,005

    Default

    Sheen777 will be right with you.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

    Mike Whitworth

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    4,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    What are the chances of avoiding a meltdown and the release of radiation further than a 6 mile zone?
    Paul? Anyone else?

    .............


    When an earthquake strikes, the plants automatically shut down, but the radioactive material continues to decay and produce heat. Reactor cooling systems, which rely on electric pumps to circulate water around the nuclear core, are designed to prevent overheating and pressure buildups.
    The earthquake in Fukushima caused a power outage and damaged the plant's backup diesel generator, forcing the pumps to run on battery power. Workers have been unable to restore the systems.
    Japan's nuclear safety agency said pressure inside the reactor had risen to abnormal levels and radiation levels inside the facility had surged to 1,000 times more than normal.
    Don't think you have to be an expert - you know what happens to your car's engine when your WP goes or a hose breaks. Difference is you can shut the car off.

    While I'm sure there will be solid knowledge of how to deal with the issue in the future gleaned from this, the wacko's will have a field day. 3 Mile island, anyone? No nukes in the US, again !!!!!!
    __________________________

    Marvin S

    Everyone's friend is No One's friend

    Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,125

    Default

    Lets hope they are right!
    ................


    Kyodo news agency quoted the company as saying it was having difficulties opening a valve at its Daiichi reactor to release pressure.
    Experts and the government both insisted there would be no radioactive disaster.
    "No Chernobyl is possible at a light water reactor. Loss of coolant means a temperature rise, but it also will stop the reaction," Naoto Sekimura, a professor at the University of Tokyo, said.
    "Even in the worst-case scenario, that would mean some radioactive leakage and equipment damage, but not an explosion. If venting is done carefully, there will be little leakage. Certainly not beyond the 3 km radius."
    The Libertarian Party believes that all persons are entitled to keep the fruits of their labor. A call for the repeal of the income tax, abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We support the passage of a "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the U.S. Constitution, provided that the budget is balanced exclusively by cutting expenditures, and not by raising taxes. LP.org

  5. #5
    Senior Member dnf777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Western Pa
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    No expert here, but it I would imagine you don't normally want to see smoke plumes and explosions at your reactor sites. This was on yahoo-news today.

    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    No expert here, but it I would imagine you don't normally want to see smoke plumes and explosions at your reactor sites. This was on yahoo-news today.

    This doesn't sound good either----

    There were conflicting reports about whether or not the damaged building housed the reactor.
    The evacuation zone was doubled in size from 6 miles to 12 miles, Japanese broadcaster NHK reported.
    Area residents were told to stay indoors, not to drink tap water and to cover their faces with masks or wet towels, according to Britain's Sky News.
    "We are now trying to analyze what is behind the explosion," government spokesman Yukio Edano said.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Uncle Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Rapid City, SD
    Posts
    4,293

    Default

    Realizing what is happening in Japan is serious, I none the less had to LOL when I saw your thread title, Franco: "Any Nuclear Accident Experts on POTUS?"...and start reading to find two of the "experts" are DNF666 and Roger. You just can't find anything more comical than that eh?

    UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brookings, South Dakota
    Posts
    6,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    "Any Nuclear Accident Experts on POTUS?"...and start reading to find two of the "experts"

    UB

    I wouldn't guess you'd find too many of those in any crowd.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

    Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

  9. #9
    Senior Member Uncle Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Rapid City, SD
    Posts
    4,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I wouldn't guess you'd find too many of those in any crowd.

    As always...you are wrong again! Those two are in EVERY crowd. What rock have you been hiding under?


    UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    Realizing what is happening in Japan is serious, I none the less had to LOL when I saw your thread title, Franco: "Any Nuclear Accident Experts on POTUS?"...and start reading to find two of the "experts" are DNF666 and Roger. You just can't find anything more comical than that eh?

    UB
    I see you chimed right in. You must be the nuclear expert everyone was waiting for. I did not add any insite or opinion to the thread, just what was in the news. You however, are the only one here giving opinions.
    Last edited by Roger Perry; 03-12-2011 at 01:57 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •