The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Any Nuclear Accident Experts on POTUS?

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Why is it, that everytime some "expert" is telling you radiation levels are safe and pose no risk, they are always far away in some studio? Just once, I'd like to see them standing in front of a blown out reactor vessel and tell us its perfectly safe. Then I may believe them.
    I would argue that a bit and say that not only are some very "top level" reporters there in Japan, there are a lot of Nuke "experts" there trying to contain things.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    I would argue that a bit and say that not only are some very "top level" reporters there in Japan, there are a lot of Nuke "experts" there trying to contain things.
    From what I have seen, the 'top level' reporters were told to back away from the danger zones. And, the Nuke "experts" really have no choice, they have to remain there to try to prevent a total meltdown.

Right. And the heros there on the grounds risking their lives trying to contain this aren't telling us to "relax, everything's ok."
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Let's have a little perspective.

The nukes dropped on Japan resulted in 100,000 contaminated surviors. Of that number, 500 will die prematurely for that exposure.

Of the 800,000 people effected by Chernobyl, WHO estimates that 4,000 will die from cancer due to radiation.

It is estimated that 250,000 will die in the U.S. along each year from air pollution and particulates, 20-30,000 from fossil fuel-based pollutants.

Is Japan a concern? Yes. Is it the worst disaster ever? Not even close.

I'm not sure that I've got this completely figured out but help me out. If the exposure at 1 mile was 450,000mR, then at 6300 miles away(here in Oklahoma) we're looking at .001mR or .000113mSv? A CT scan is 10mSV btw.
    and I ask this because I've already had patients freaking out about exposure here.
    I haven't seen radiation levels that high, the highest I've see was around 1000 mrem by the burning spent fuel area. But the math would be divide the dose rate by the square of the distance increase. 6300 times further away would divide the dose rate by 6300 squared. Remember, we are exposed to approx. 30-90 mircrorem coming from the environment all the time. That is solar, environmental and from consumer goods.

There is a huge problem here though. Radiation travels in a straight line unless acted upon. It would have to go through the earth to get here. Three things that reduce exposure, time, distance and shielding. The earth is a good shield. The distance is huge, and while I have a surveyl meter that can detect 0.1 micromem, this is way smaller than that.

Our only possible threat is from air born contamination and chernobyl didn't give us anything to worry about here, or from the bombs dropped in Japan.
    Last edited by gsc; 03-15-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Banned

FUKUSHIMA, Japan ó Workers at a quake-damaged atomic power plant suspended operations and evacuated Wednesday after a surge in radiation made it too dangerous to remain there, dealing a setback to Japanís frantic efforts to stem a nuclear crisis.
    "All the workers there have suspended their operations. We have urged them to evacuate, and they have," Japan's chief cabinet secretary, Yukio Edano said, according to a translation by NHK television.
    Edano said that a surge in radiation Wednesday meant workers were unable to continue even minimal efforts at the stricken nuclear plant.
    Earlier Wednesday, a fire broke out anew at one damaged nuclear reactor, a day after the power plant emitted a burst of radiation that panicked an already edgy Japan.

This doesn't sound good at all

In the coverage I've seen on TV talking about the spent fuel rod pools, I have not seen any cutaway drawings of the plant. Thought I'd throw one up here to help folks visualize. These are cutaways of the actual GE Mark I designs.

The new and spent fuel rods are kept in the swimming pool looking things toward the top of the drawing.

Last edited by Buzz; 03-16-2011 at 09:22 AM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Two weeks and it doesn't look like the situation is any better.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_japan_earthquake

How bad could the contamination get?
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345