The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding Puppy Once a day

Default Feeding Puppy Once a day

How many of you feed a pup (11 weeks old) once a day, I posted a thread about my pup being very picky about his food and not eating. I am probably worrying a lot more than I should but it seems that I can only get 1 feeding per day out of him. I offer his food morning lunch and evening and only 1 of those times will he actually eat his food.

I did switch his food from EUK LBP to PPP and seem to eat that very well for about 3 days and now could care less.

I did add water to his EUK LBP food and that seemed to help for about 2 days and seemed then not to care to even look at his food after that. I then tried adding wet food in to mix with it and still didnt care.

He drinks water faster than I can fill the bowl and that seems to be the only thing he wants is water.

Should I be worried or is this perfectly fine that "IF" he eats his whole bowl once a day?
    Should I try another different food?
    Could he still be adjusting to his new home?
    Is he just going to be that picky of when he eats?

I guess I am just frustrated and would like to get him on a good feeding schedule

Thanks
    Mike
    HPK's A Warriors Call "Titan"
    HPK's Every Shot Counts (Ammo)

Puppies are little eating machines. I'd be very concerned with a puppy eating only once a day, but fills his belly with water. Try a food with a different protein source. If that doesn't resolve the problem, get him into your vet!

Laurie

I agree with lem get him to the vet to ensure everything is fine. If everything checks out I would consider trying something I did with my pup when tried to be a picky eater. Right around 3 months of age my pup decided he was not going to eat his food and being that we hunt our dogs in extreme conditions sometimes and we work them hard it is important that they get the nutrition they need.

So while we were still doing fun puppy training I would set his food down for a couple minutes if he did not start eating at in those couple minutes the food was removed. The next time feeding time came around I repeated that same thing. Well this did not last long. He soon realized if he did not start eating it was not going to be there and he ate. I think this helped a lot when he got older when I would feed him a lot so he could put weight on during the hunting season to stay warm. My dog is the type that it is hard for him to put weight on as it is. So if i had not done this I think he would probably be pretty miserable when the weather gets real cold during hunting season. I don't know if it is the right things to do but it worked for me.
    Rocky's Last Chambered Shell-"Ruger"

Blackjack's Mighty Ace Under the Gun
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=84111

Quote Originally Posted by lem View Post
    Puppies are little eating machines. I'd be very concerned with a puppy eating only once a day, but fills his belly with water. Try a food with a different protein source. If that doesn't resolve the problem, get him into your vet!

Laurie
    My wife needed to go to the vet with our other dog this morning and brought the pup with as well and the Vet is not concerned he is still learning that when the food bowl his the ground you have 5 mins to decide if you are going to eat and if you dont the food is pulled away until next time. The Vet said he is very heathly he looks good and gained 3lbs in one week so he is getting the nutrition needed. If he doesnt gain weight she would be concerned but as of now this may take a couple more weeks to adjust as some puppys are just that wierd about eating.

When a pup is 11 weeks, I'm still feeding 4 times a day....3 regular meals and a smaller portion at bedtime. A pup that eats once at 11 weeks is not going to get the nutrition it needs. Evan if you increase the food by a whopping great amount because that will just go through him and be largely undigested.

One thing that seems to be happening is that you are changing the food and routine at the drop of a hat. Find the best quality food that you can afford and stick with it.

Have you talked to your vet about the issue? Perhaps there's a health issue.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

I would feed twice a day. As long as he is gaining weight, pooping nice turds, is active and looks good I would not worry. Don

How much are you feeding him? We feed 1 cup 3x a day to pups. Also, is your pup in his crate when you are feeding him?
    Deb & John Lenon
    www.mamaslabs.com
    Wildwood, MO
    "In God & Labs We Trust"

Quote Originally Posted by my2ylws View Post
    How much are you feeding him? We feed 1 cup 3x a day to pups. Also, is your pup in his crate when you are feeding him?

I have been trying to feed him 1 cup per feeding, offering him 3 times a day. I have tried leaving him in his crate for 15 mins and wont even touch it and will just take a nap unless I Take him out of crate and he will nibble at it then quit.

It just seems like when he goes to eat and he gets a taste of it he thinks he is good. Later on during the day he realizes he hungry then completely eats the whole bowl... I am going to only allow 2 times a day 10 mins is all he gets with 1 1/2 cups of food...

My pup was the same way. It took 3 or 4 different foods to find one that he liked. He is on a salmon and sweet potato recipe that is grain free. The vet figured it was an allergy to the protein or grains.

My pup is not a big food eater either. I thought something was wrong at first too as my last lab would eat the whole bag of food if I left it out. Over the last few months he tends to eat more during his growth spurts but still not crazy about eating. Mine has steadily been gaining about 2-3 lbs a week so I just monitored the weight and stopped worrying so much. He has checked out fine at all vet appointments too.