RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Stud dog owner "responsibilities"....??

25K views 156 replies 38 participants last post by  Billie 
#1 ·
Ok so, I took one of my male Labs to the vet a couple of weeks ago. Just for some routine check up stuff.

My vet recommended at that time, that I should be uh....well, be making sure the sperm were "fresh".....in other words, I need to "empty him out" weekly or so.

However, my boy has performance anxiety and when he sees (or hears) the snap of the glove, well he isn't able to "get it up" so to speak.....

So do any of you guys with studs "keep the boys active" when they aren't getting the "real thing"? Any advice from some stud dog owners on the "performance" anxiety??

WRL

#3 ·
Performance anxiety is a real problem for studs of all calibers. I've found that relaxing music, low lighting and seafood often provide that much needed "boost" to lessen anxiety. Perhaps milk bone scented gloves, extra soft are needed as well. I wonder if they have a seminar on how to sovle stud freshness relief anxiety? I would certainly sign up.

#4 ·
That's a very good question Lee,
And of course ,the answer would be yes. Your vet brought up a very good suggestion and I am certain that it will keep your males "boy butter" in excellent condition.
As for anxiety, I always keep a lil "girl perfume" around on a cotton swab in a tight container...dab a lil on a girl's tail and put her in there with your boy. Let simmer for about 3 -5 minutes and your boy should be in a great mood and has lowered his standards enough for a helping hand...(sorry,couldn't resist)

#5 ·
I get a spayed poodle bitch (silver) and play some Barry White for them. :D

Where is the "glove-man" from that other breeding thread when you need them? regards-

#10 ·
I use pussy rags. Every bitch has their own unique cologne...really. The boys all have their favorite scent of woman.

#11 ·
Wow!!! We may be on to something. Deer Hunters are just plum crazy about deer estrus urine. Oh boy I can't wait for Weezie to come back into season, I'll start collecting immediately and store it in the garage fridge next to the keystone light. 10 bucks a bottle. Order yours today.

#16 ·
So with these cloths, how do you attach them? I mean I could muzzle him and attach them to the muzzle and across his nose.....

Or do you put them on the female and attach them to her rear?

Also, do you think they "clean out" better if you let them mount?

WRL

#22 ·
Also, do you think they "clean out" better if you let them mount?

WRL
If you let them mount, they become almost "self-cleaning"...

#28 ·
Well it's really just a nick nick nick, gentle like. I imagine you could get the timing down just right. But really have there been any studies done on long term health issues? What about blindness? Or that embarrassing Pre-mature release in public? I think there should be some kind of health clearances for studs......

#31 ·
Well it's really just a nick nick nick, gentle like. I imagine you could get the timing down just right. But really have there been any studies done on long term health issues? What about blindness? Or that embarrassing Pre-mature release in public? I think there should be some kind of health clearances for studs......
I think blindness is an issue of if they are cleaned too frequently. Check with your vet. They may get hairy pads, also..... I heard the University is getting a DNA test together regarding the propensity for blindness.

#29 ·
I make them into little nose mittens kind of like a muzzle. Boy, get that mitten on and they are ready to go but I never thought of combining it with a clicker.

#35 ·
Any particular kind of yarn? To soft wouldn't be good.....

#50 ·
I googled it!!! WOW there is such a wealth of information out there nowadays, it's really amazing!! Some health clearances you stud dog owners may want to check out:
LI: latex intolerance
SBS: sudden blindness syndrome(this is particularly problematic in the silver labs)
DD: Droopy Dipstick You probably want a clear on this one.

Boy this gives a whole new meaning Gentle Leader, and here I always thought that was to prevent dogs from jumping each other.

#58 ·
I read all of this thread to Harry, my stud dog. He says if I let any of you ladies try to collect him, he is running away from home! Muttered something about the crazy women I know, then stalked off to his kennel. I think he is afraid of rough handling!

#68 ·
All it took for Candlewoods Cash On The Liine was to turn into Dr. Greene's drive and he was ready. (Cash that is. He did love Dr. Greene) No teaser necessary
My vet built a new clinic and Goose followed the scent all the way to the repro room the first time there. Unfortunately now all he gets done are prostrate exams which are not what his idea is in going there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.