The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The NFL lockout has officially begun

Banned

Default The NFL lockout has officially begun

For the first time since 1987, the National League Football has officially entered a work stoppage.
    It came with a whimper.
    As of 12:33 a.m. ET, the league hasnít released a statement on the matter. (The collective bargaining agreement ran out at midnight.) NFL Network did announce on air, however, that the owners have imposed a lockout on the players, and NFL.com also has a story on it.
    The Associated Press also confirmed the move and teams received an email notifying them a lockout was imposed.
    The start of the lockout will set off a number of legal maneuvers. The players have gone to court in an effort to block the lockout.
    They have filed an antitrust lawsuit ó officially known as Brady et al vs. National Football League et al. The owners are expected to try to prove that the NFLPAís decertification is a sham. That argument could have problems.
    All of the legal wrangling above is not something the average NFL fan (and writer) will fully understand. Nor should they have to. Florio will break it all down on PFT in the coming days and weeks for us to digest.
    We knew this day was likely coming, yet itís still unsettling for anyone that loves the game. And you donít need a law degree to understand the emotional implications.
    The issue of trust continues to be thrown around. The players and ownership talk about the trust necessary for them to come to an agreement. They clearly donít trust each other very much right now.
    Both sides need to understand they risk losing the trust of a loyal, rabid fanbase. You canít file a lawsuit to get that back.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-begun/related

Here's the skinny...

In the end, it appeared the sides were about $185 million apart on how much owners should get up-front each season for certain operating expenses before splitting the rest of the revenues with players -- a far cry from the $1 billion that separated the sides for months.
    But the NFL Players Association refused to budge any further without getting detailed financial information for each team.

Also in the NFL's offer, according to the league:
    ē Maintaining the 16 regular-season games and four preseason games for at least two years, with any switch to 18 games down the road being negotiable.
    ē Instituting a rookie wage scale through which money saved would be paid to veterans and retired players.
    ē Creating new year-round health and safety rules.
    ē Establishing a fund for retired players, with $82 million contributed by the owners over the next two years.
    ē Financial disclosure of audited profitability information that is not even shared with the NFL clubs. That was proposed by the NFL this week, and rejected by the union, which began insisting in May 2009 for a complete look at the books of each of the 32 clubs.
    As Pash outlined each element of the owners' last offer, he ended with the phrase: "Evidently not good enough."

"We will be prepared to come back here any time the union is ready to come back here."
    Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Who cares
    Billionaires and millionaires counting the zeros on the payroll checks

I hope they hire scabs at 100k and nobody goes to the games. Players lose and owners lose
    Goldens Rule !!!

I believe it is a ridiculous ask for NFL players to request their employer to open their books. However, whatever they can garner in collective bargaining is well deserved.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by 150class View Post
    Who cares
    Billionaires and millionaires counting the zeros on the payroll checks

I hope they hire scabs at 100k and nobody goes to the games. Players lose and owners lose

Pretty much my sentiments. But it is amusing to have, as is usually the case when unions are involved, the tail wagging the dog. Doesn't seem to matter how much the tail receives.

The only ignorance more obvious than the players union, is the team owners. They are all overpaid!

When the Democrat/liberals want to talk about the greedy gaining their wealth on the backs of the poor and middle class, there just isn't any better example of that than what happens in major league sports.

Another illustration that can be made is the taxpayer that doesn't even enjoy sports, but gets assessed anyway for stadium/ballpark construction.

While I enjoy the 'bigs' as much as the next enthusiast, when it comes to liberals complaining about the inequalities of the wealthy and poor...and their unending class envy when it comes to a wealthy conservative...they will never bring up George Soros or some mega billionaire movie actor, or an equally overpaid sports figure. Meanwhile they will pay for exhorbitant ticket prices, and mill levy assessments for a new facility, to keep that team in town. Your hypocrisy knows no bounds.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    1. I believe it is a ridiculous ask for NFL players to request their employer to open their books.

2. However, whatever they can garner in collective bargaining is well deserved.
    1. Agreed

2. "Well deserved" ? Most of the players don't even speak a brand of English that I understand.
    Last edited by Doc E; 03-12-2011 at 02:35 PM. Reason: tid=7count=

Quote Originally Posted by Doc E View Post
    1. Agreed

2. "Well deserved" ? Most of the players don't even speak a brand of English that I understand.
    I bet that isn't in their job description...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Bold move by Goodell. Ball is in the player's court.

I think thier offer to be very fair.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6229779
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Bold move by Goodell. Ball is in the player's court.

I think thier offer to be very fair.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6229779

Have to disagree with you, Franco. The 'ball' is strictly in the court of the LAWYERS, now.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    Have to disagree with you, Franco. The 'ball' is strictly in the court of the LAWYERS, now.

UB
    Players don't have much to stand on and they know it.

They voted to de-certify thier union so individuals can sue. They claim the union no longer exsist yet, they refer everything right back to union boss, Smith.

They only shot the players have is if they get a judge that also happens to be a Democrat.

The owners are no dummies and they have antipated every move the players union has made. Take the TV escrow money for example. A judge may try and hold that money up but the judge can't hold that money up forever. Sooner or later, it will go to the owners.

Last Friday, they were only 200 million apart yet the union decided to walk out.

It wouldn't upset me if the owners fired all the players and started afresh without the primadonnas. Players want to see the books, good let them find another job!