The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Warning Of Food Price Riots In The UK

  1. #1
    Senior Member BrianW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Athol, North Idaho
    Posts
    885

    Default Warning Of Food Price Riots In The UK

    More "apocalyptica" for y'all:

    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20110308/...u-45dbed5.html

    A senior economist at the worldwide bank HSBC has warned of civil unrest in Britain if food prices continue to soar.

    Speaking on Jeff Randall Live, senior global economist Karen Ward cautioned that the UK could experience the kind of food riots seen in other countries.

    "Even in the developed world I think we have very, very low wage growth, so people aren't getting more in their pay packet to compensate them for food and energy, and I think we could see social unrest certainly in parts of the developed world and the UK as well."

    ""More and more we are seeing that some of these foodstuffs are actually substitutes for energy itself, particularly biofuels. So I think the energy markets are a significant contributor to these food price gains."The comments come as the United Nations warned the cost of food is now at the highest level for 21 years and set to rise further."

    Check out some of the comments on this website:
    http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread671636/pg1
    Talking about about having to protect themselves with swords & poaching with crossbows! & air rifles! " as we're not allowed to have guns (in the UK).

    Originally posted by Abductee001
    I got elbowed in the ribs tonight looking at the student section in my local asda! Almost had my hands on a cheap pizza when a lady in her late 40's barged me out of the way to grab the pizza and some sliced ham and a packet of sausage rolls. Did still manage to get a cheap loaf and some pasties

    & response:

    You've got to be pretty tough, determined and wily when it comes to getting your hands on the reduced food in Asda, I almost risked death the other week when i got my hands on four sirloin steaks for 1.50 each and half a leg of lamb for 2.50, but damn it was worth it, my family doesn't get to eat food like this any more because prices have sky rocketed.

    Hold on folks, it's gettin ugly out there. Are you hearing about this on CBS, CNN etc. I'm not!
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791
    ________________________________________
    Proud partner of (HR) WR SR Brian's 44Magnum Monster
    co-owned by HR Rianne's 2nd Chance Hurricane Rebel

  2. #2
    Senior Member BrianW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Athol, North Idaho
    Posts
    885

    Default

    Just for gits & shiggles I went to the Asda website http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estor...okiesDetecting (looks like a Walmart)
    and on their "great deals" they show a 1.45 kg/3.19 lb whole chicken for 4.47 BP/ $7.17 US dollars. $1.68 for a loaf of white bread, & "rollback" $10.79 for a 10 pack of Guinness Stout.
    Of course it is delivered to "your flat" (beer delivery? cool ! ) but OUCH!
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791
    ________________________________________
    Proud partner of (HR) WR SR Brian's 44Magnum Monster
    co-owned by HR Rianne's 2nd Chance Hurricane Rebel

  3. #3
    Senior Member Hew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,082

    Default

    Dang, you must have Barry McGuire on continuous loop at your house.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntLsElbW9Xo

    The Eastern world, well it's explodin'...regards.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

  4. #4
    Senior Member BrianW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Athol, North Idaho
    Posts
    885

    Default

    I'm kind of partial to REM -
    It's The End Of The World As We Know It (and I Feel Fine...)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eyFiClAzq8

    especially the last part regards
    Last edited by BrianW; 03-14-2011 at 07:42 AM. Reason: regards
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791
    ________________________________________
    Proud partner of (HR) WR SR Brian's 44Magnum Monster
    co-owned by HR Rianne's 2nd Chance Hurricane Rebel

  5. #5
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    I'm kind of partial to REM -
    It's The End Of The World As We Know It (and I Feel Fine...)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eyFiClAzq8

    especially the last part regards
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fijZE7T3S-s


    RK
    Stan b & Elvis

  6. #6
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,616

    Default

    Food prices here have gone way up although I bet people don't realize how much. A great example is that while the price of a bag of sugar has not changed much at the store the bag has gone from 5 lbs to 4 lbs. I didn't even notice until I had the old 5 lb bag sitting next to the new 4 lb bag on my counter when doing holiday baking a couple of months ago. Then I looked at the bag, same name brand and realized that I paid what I used to pay for 5 lbs I had just paid for 4 lbs.
    That made me start comparing other items. Many items that used to contain 4 servings now contained 3 servings. Who buys 3 servings of something? What a useless size.
    No wonder what used to be 2 meals, for 2 people was suddenly running short. Poor hubby, I was accusing him of overeating and not paying attention to how much he was eating. He is supposed to be watching his weight.
    Produce prices have really gone thru the roof. The simple solution would be to grow your own. However this doesn't work because the deer steal everything and even ignore the dogs.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

  7. #7
    Senior Member BrianW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Athol, North Idaho
    Posts
    885

    Default

    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Higher....html?x=0&.v=7

    Higher prices for food are about to get worse

    Food prices at the wholesale level rose last month by the most in 36 years. Cold weather accounted for most of it, forcing stores and restaurants to pay more for green peppers, lettuce and other vegetables, but meat and dairy prices surged, too.

    Food prices are already the highest since the U.N. began keeping track in 1990....
    .
    Still, the U.S. is mostly insulated from more devastating impact of higher food prices around the globe. () Last month, the World Bank estimated that higher prices for corn, wheat and oil have pushed 44 million people into extreme poverty since last June.

    I seem to remember quite a few folks recently downplaying the issue of inflation and the "apocalyptic nuts" who've tried to talk about it.
    Think about it, 36 years ago, what was going on then? Remeber those stupid little "Whip Inflation Now" (WIN) buttons from the Ford Admin? If this food price jump doen't convince you that Ben and his "core inflation" are totally disconnected from reality, what will?
    So when do you think Mr. Obama is going to finally have to make an acknowledgement about this issue?


    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791
    ________________________________________
    Proud partner of (HR) WR SR Brian's 44Magnum Monster
    co-owned by HR Rianne's 2nd Chance Hurricane Rebel

  8. #8
    Senior Member subroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Dover, New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    ...""More and more we are seeing that some of these foodstuffs are actually substitutes for energy itself, particularly biofuels. So I think the energy markets are a significant contributor to these food price gains."The comments come as the United Nations warned the cost of food is now at the highest level for 21 years and set to rise further."...
    More extreme left wing policy being responsible for an outcome because of its lack of forethought in considering the law of unintended consequences.

    Hey lefties, are you to blame in any way for this problem?
    subroc

    Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

  9. #9
    Senior Member JDogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    MRGV New Mexico
    Posts
    3,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Higher....html?x=0&.v=7

    Higher prices for food are about to get worse

    Food prices at the wholesale level rose last month by the most in 36 years. Cold weather accounted for most of it, forcing stores and restaurants to pay more for green peppers, lettuce and other vegetables, but meat and dairy prices surged, too.

    Food prices are already the highest since the U.N. began keeping track in 1990....
    .
    Still, the U.S. is mostly insulated from more devastating impact of higher food prices around the globe. () Last month, the World Bank estimated that higher prices for corn, wheat and oil have pushed 44 million people into extreme poverty since last June.

    I seem to remember quite a few folks recently downplaying the issue of inflation and the "apocalyptic nuts" who've tried to talk about it.
    Think about it, 36 years ago, what was going on then? Remeber those stupid little "Whip Inflation Now" (WIN) buttons from the Ford Admin? If this food price jump doen't convince you that Ben and his "core inflation" are totally disconnected from reality, what will?
    So when do you think Mr. Obama is going to finally have to make an acknowledgement about this issue?


    My food bill is out-weighed each month by my internet bill, my cell phone bill, my TV bill.
    Gas and elec., still pretty reasonable.
    If you want advise on you food bill, contact ducknwork.... he still feeds his family on $.58 a day. JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

  10. #10
    Senior Member dnf777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Western Pa
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    Fortunately, we have a very skewed perspective on food prices in America. When the price of rice on world markets increases... to us....that means we pay 1.79 for a box of Zatarains dirty rice mix instead of 1.29, and we complain when we look at the receipt. To many people in the world, it means another child in their hut will starve to death this year.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •