The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flagarant hits in NFL

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    nothing wrong with hitting the QB but "spearing the QB with the crown of the helmet and launching the body like a human projectile" is what they are trying to avoid...the helmet to helmet spearing is what is causing the knockouts...that and playing on turf covered concrete...they need to go back to natural grass for cushion and to slow the game down
    The proposed rule " can't hit the QB in the act of throwing"
    Let's add another one " can't hit a receiver in the act of catching a ball"
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

ILLEGAL HITS
    NFL to be more aggressive with suspensions for illegal hits next season. Rules defining defenseless players expanded to eight categories: • QB in act of throwing
    • Receiver trying to catch pass
    • Runner in grasp with forward progress stopped
    • Player fielding punt or kickoff
    • Kicker or punter during kick
    • QB after change of possession
    • Receiver who receives blind-side block
    • Player already on ground
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    ILLEGAL HITS
    NFL to be more aggressive with suspensions for illegal hits next season. Rules defining defenseless players expanded to eight categories: • QB in act of throwing
    • Receiver trying to catch pass
    • Runner in grasp with forward progress stopped
    • Player fielding punt or kickoff
    • Kicker or punter during kick
    • QB after change of possession
    • Receiver who receives blind-side block
    • Player already on ground

1. receiver is defenseless when they leave their feet and DB's going for the player and not the ball

2. gang tackling- holding a RB up so teammate can take a cheap shot at their head or legs

3. the fair catch umbrella probably needs to be expanded

4. disagree with that one...the QB is fair game on an INT and probably deserves a hit for throwing a pick

5. blind side or crack back is the cheapest hit of all

6. spearing a guy on the ground is the second cheapest shot
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Go back to leather helmuts or more realistically, the same helmut for all positions.

Lessen the safety of the helmut, lessen the use of it as a weapon.

RK

I have heard some retired pros lobby for getting rid of the face mask. They said it would bring back hitting with the shoulder.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I have heard some retired pros lobby for getting rid of the face mask. They said it would bring back hitting with the shoulder.
    I thought the face mask was so that Butkus and Nitscke couldn't bite you after they hit you

if they remove the face mask they would have to go to a softer helmet like DNF has suggested...the ones now would crush someones face without a mask...

has anyone ever watched rugby or Australian rules football, those are about as rough as they get and I think all they use is a protective cup
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    1. receiver is defenseless when they leave their feet and DB's going for the player and not the ball

2. gang tackling- holding a RB up so teammate can take a cheap shot at their head or legs

3. the fair catch umbrella probably needs to be expanded

4. disagree with that one...the QB is fair game on an INT and probably deserves a hit for throwing a pick

5. blind side or crack back is the cheapest hit of all

6. spearing a guy on the ground is the second cheapest shot
    1. If the defensive back is in back of the receiver if he went for the ball he would be called for pass interence every time. The only options are let the receiver catch the ball or hit the receiver as he touches the ball so it it has a chance to become an incomplete pass.

3. Not that many players get hit after calling for a fair catch. Usually only if they get blocked into the person catching the ball.

As far as hitting the QB while he is in the act of throwing the ball, I do not agree with. How many times has the play gone into replay to see if the QB"s arm is going forward. I can see it if the defender hits the QB after taking 2 steps or a helmet to helmet hit.

Most times contact happens in tenths of seconds. If an offencive player moves head at the same time a defender moves his head, accidental helmet to helmet hits cannot be avoided. If a player spears another player I believe action should be taken.

I only played high school football (if you do not count flag football when I was out of high school and Navy) and I only weighed about 150 pounds. I was carrying the football and a player on the opposite team was about to tackle me. I put my head down and hit him helmet to helmet. He was about 6'5" and about 200 pounds. My coach asked me why I did not run out of bounds and I said to him "Coach, I thought I could knock him out." I ended up with a grey streak on my white helmet that I proudly wore.

Of course todays players are much bigger and faster and if a professional player tried that today, he would probably be in a wheel chair.
    Last edited by Roger Perry; 03-16-2011 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Go back to leather helmuts or more realistically, the same helmut for all positions.

Lessen the safety of the helmut, lessen the use of it as a weapon.

I wonder if anyone gets that.

BTW---I have been knocked out on the field and I have delivered a couple of quality hits as well.
    For those that wonder, we had pools on the hardest hit on the QB and we wanted to win it.

Think it doesn't happen in the pros??

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many of you played after HS????

RK
    T

[I]12-29-2010: I think leather helmets are a great idea. There is NO BETTER WAY to limit concussions, than to de-weaponize the helmet. The soft padding is what protects against concussion. The hard shell is great if you're going down the highway, but not necessary on a grass field, and only contributes to injury. [/I]

12-3-2010:I've been saying that for over a year. Its the padding that protects from deceleration injury. The hard shell just protects the padding. On a turf or grass field, there is no reason for the weaponized hard-shell. skidding on asphalt, yes. Football field, NO.

I suppose if you get your head stepped on, the hard shell would help, but oh well, its a rough game.

10-18-2010:The easiest and most effective way to protect players from head/neck injuries is to go back to soft helmets.

The cushioning protects the noodle from acceleration/deceration. The hard shell only protects the cushion. On a non-abrasive football field (relatively speaking, compared to asphalt) a canvas or leather cover would do just fine, and take away the sense of being a human torpedo. Not to mention being much lighter, and reducing the moment arm acting upon the neck in whiplash situations. Goggles or some type of modified facemask would need to be fitted to the new helmet.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    T

[I]12-29-2010: I think leather helmets are a great idea. There is NO BETTER WAY to limit concussions, than to de-weaponize the helmet. The soft padding is what protects against concussion. The hard shell is great if you're going down the highway, but not necessary on a grass field, and only contributes to injury. [/I]

12-3-2010:I've been saying that for over a year. Its the padding that protects from deceleration injury. The hard shell just protects the padding. On a turf or grass field, there is no reason for the weaponized hard-shell. skidding on asphalt, yes. Football field, NO.

I suppose if you get your head stepped on, the hard shell would help, but oh well, its a rough game.

10-18-2010:The easiest and most effective way to protect players from head/neck injuries is to go back to soft helmets.

The cushioning protects the noodle from acceleration/deceration. The hard shell only protects the cushion. On a non-abrasive football field (relatively speaking, compared to asphalt) a canvas or leather cover would do just fine, and take away the sense of being a human torpedo. Not to mention being much lighter, and reducing the moment arm acting upon the neck in whiplash situations. Goggles or some type of modified facemask would need to be fitted to the new helmet.
    I honestly believe that would help.

Just sayin'.....

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Isn't a bad idea. I wonder what the concusion/brain injury rate is per game played. It would be a good compairison.

One thing to remember:
    Anytime you have 22 guys in a contained area, some can spring 40 yards in four and a half seconds, some weigh well over 300 pounds (they can only run the 40 in 5 or 6 seconds!) all converging on one ball......

SOMEBODY'S GONNA GET HURT!!!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!