The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conservative Solutions to Wage Disparity?

Default Conservative Solutions to Wage Disparity?

A new study by Lawrence Mishel and Heidi Shierholz of the Economic Policy Institute, found that productivity grew by a whopping 62.5 percent between 1989 and 2010, but that real hourly wages increased by just 12 percent over the same period. That suggests that companies are giving far more of their profits to shareholders, and far less to workers. Indeed, corporate profits are 22 percent above where they were before the recession. In addition A chief executive officer of a S&P 500 index company was paid an average $9.25 million in total compensation in 2010, or 180 times that of a average worker (not including other C-Level executives and board members), a increase over the 40 time disparity in 1970.

I am curious what is the Tea Party / Conservative solution to this issue is. Is it not a problem?

I doubt if the average worker is producing that much more. A lot of the increase in production is probably from modernization and automation in the workplace over that time period. Computers??
    Bill Davis

Up 22% since which recession?

2008?

We've had record corporate bankruptcies since 2008.
    Last edited by Franco; 03-16-2011 at 09:24 PM.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

What is the "Economic Policy Institute?"
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Well sure, but that can be said of most productivity changes since the early 1800's. The tools workers have make them more productive. However do CEO design, install, customize, run or update those tools. No that's what the workers do. Just like machinery did in the 1800's. So why is the income gap growing again?

Most people on the right are against wealth redistribution, not very pro union, want corp tax rates dropped...ect.. These policies certinly don't help to reduce wage disparity. Many ascribe to trickle down type beliefs which have not been working over the past 25 years either. Solid blue collar and lower level white collar jobs are being lost and replaced with service worker jobs paying much less.

I was interested in getting the view point of those on the far edges of the right on whether or not this was a problem and if so what to do about it.

If they aren't getting funding from the Koch Brothers, then it's best to just ignore them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate_C View Post
    I was interested in getting the view point of those on the far edges of the right on whether or not this was a problem and if so what to do about it.

Boy did you come to the right place!
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Well, that leaves me out.

But, I will add that with many industries having been consolidated, with growing pressure on CEO's to deliver to the bottom line in order to receive thier bonuses in publicly held companies. It is usually the entry level and mid-managers that suffer the most in job consolidation and pay.

Once we stop letting Wall St run the Federal Reserve(or better yet, dissolve the Fed) and huge corporations write the antitrust laws, we may see better pay for the mules.
    Last edited by Franco; 03-16-2011 at 05:48 PM.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    If they aren't getting funding from the Koch Brothers, then it's best to just ignore them.

Boy did you come to the right place!
    well the BOD includes presidents AFL-CIO, AFSCME, IAMAW, AFT, CWA, USWA so I'm sure they're very impartial.
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Well sure, but that can be said of most productivity changes since the early 1800's. The tools workers have make them more productive. However do CEO design, install, customize, run or update those tools. No that's what the workers do. Just like machinery did in the 1800's. So why is the income gap growing again?

Most people on the right are against wealth redistribution, not very pro union, want corp tax rates dropped...ect.. These policies certinly don't help to reduce wage disparity. Many ascribe to trickle down type beliefs which have not been working over the past 25 years either. Solid blue collar and lower level white collar jobs are being lost and replaced with service worker jobs paying much less.

Do you propose trickle up economics?

Great question Nate. I'm interested in the answers also. The times this country has seen its greatest prosperity also happen to coincide with some of the smaller CEO/Worker disparity periods. Our worst economic times, like now, have coincided with the largest disparity.

Redistribution of wealth is only a "good thing" when its taking wages and benefits away from working class Americans, and giving it to corporations and the elite in the form of tax breaks, which historically have NOT resulted in job creation, just wealth creation for those on the receiving end.

Let's see what the RW response is. I'm very interested to see if they think 200x pay scales for CEOs who off-shore American jobs is ok.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!