The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sierra Club vs Wyoming Ranchers

Default Sierra Club vs Wyoming Ranchers

True story, snopes it...........

The Sierra Club and the U.S. Forest Service were presenting an alternative to the Wyoming ranchers for controlling the coyote population. It seems that after years of the ranchers using the tried and true method of shooting or trapping the predators, the Sierra Club had a "more humane" solution to this issue. What they were proposing was for the animals to be captured alive. The males would then be castrated and let loose again. This was ACTUALLY proposed by the Sierra Club and by the U.S. Forest Service.

All of the ranchers thought about this amazing idea for a couple of minutes. Finally an old fellow wearing a big cowboy hat in the back of the conference room stood up, tipped his hat back and said; "Son, I don't think you understand our problem here... these coyotes ain't screwin' our sheep... they're eatin' 'em!"

The meeting never really got back to order. . .
    __________________________________________________ ______

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Got a link? multiple searches, no results.
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Got a link? multiple searches, no results.
    No, it was sent to me by a friend.

Or did I see it on the Daily Show????

I forget.........

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Actually, a "catch & release" program like this has been pretty good at preventing growth of the population of feral cats in urban or suburban areas.

However, in this case, the rancher would be right in that the neutered coyotes would still continue eating sheep. It might prevent growth of the population, but might not help the ranchers as much as expected.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Doesn't matter...it's still funny and points out how idiotic the Sierra club is when it come to predator control.
    Bill Davis

The OK Wildlife Dept. has a unique catch and release program. They "catch" them by using cyanide treated bait. When "released", they go about 10 feet. The buzzards, foxes and other critters take over after that.

I don't know how they determine when to use the program but they have been on our lease 5 of the last 6 years. They post warning signs on all the gates but the last time I checked, dogs can't read. It's my understanding we can make them leave if desired but they have always been gone before hunting season begins.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Got this "story" in an e-mail some weeks ago. I don't remember there being a link to it. I never researched it.

Quote Originally Posted by charly_t View Post
    Got this "story" in an e-mail some weeks ago. I don't remember there being a link to it. I never researched it.
    Lots of political baloney is circulating through e-mail. There's a little Joe Goebbels at work. Verify anything that sounds as phony as this.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Lots of political baloney is circulating through e-mail. There's a little Joe Goebbels at work. Verify anything that sounds as phony as this.

And you would 'verify' it how? That famous George Soros sponsored SNOPES? Or mebbe that dashing duo of 'newsmen' on the comedy channel? Or ANY of the leftists in the Main Stream Press, including your Hardhead favorite that lives by the tickle running down his leg.

Here's another you can check out. I didn't. Just took it for what it's worth, and figure it can't hurt.

UB

The Spaniards' Brilliant Idea !!

In Seville Spain , local people found a way to stop the construction of another mosque in their town. They buried a pig on the site, and made sure this would be known by the local press.The Islamic rules forbid the erecting of a Mosque on "pig soiled ground.” The Muslims had to cancel the project. This land was sold to them by government officials.

No protests were needed by the local people...and it worked!

Plant a pig

In Texas they have an over abundance of feral pigs. They could send them all over the country and just plant them everywhere!

After all, contaminated soil would surely drift and they could create new job programs by having soil testers to determine where contaminated soil existed.

Of course, high on the mountaintops of the Rockies or other mountain ranges they might find some uncontaminated soil, but then building a mosque there would pose some problems.

Americans, put on your thinking caps and let’s find a solution to this problem of a spreading menace to the American way of life! If pigs are the answer, let’s do it!

Your Committee for the Betterment of America !

When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    I tend to believe the really far out things that I hear when the government had a hand in planning it. Some "farm programs" were planned by people who had no idea about farming. Same with dog breeding ( been there, done that )
    and I'm not going to tell you all about it. I will say that I was required to have a USDA license which on the face of it does not sound bad...........right ? I will not recite the regs but some of them are just plain crazy. One inspector will brag on what you have done, the next one will tell you to tear it out that it is not acceptable. I have been "written up" for having a hammer and nails on the top of an empty pen in an empty building because "dogs could get hurt". HELLO, this is our government at work. This is a true "happening".
    Last edited by charly_t; 03-18-2011 at 10:53 PM.