The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: HuffPoat - PBO to go around Congress on guns?

Default HuffPoat - PBO to go around Congress on guns?

Obama looks for ways to change gun laws around Congress
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/15/obama-gun-laws-congress_n_836138.html
    Faced with a Congress hostile to even slight restrictions of Second Amendment rights, the Obama administration is exploring potential changes to gun laws that can be secured strictly through executive action, administration officials say. The Department of Justice held the first in what is expected to be a series of meetings on Tuesday afternoon with a group of stakeholders in the ongoing gun-policy debates. Before the meeting, officials said part of the discussion was expected to center around the White House's options for shaping policy on its own or through its adjoining agencies and departments -- on issues ranging from beefing up background checks to encouraging better data-sharing.

and even if this is just a test "balloon:
    Gun Control Gaining Traction On Capitol Hill

Mayor Bloomberg was joined by New York Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy, who will introduce the Fix Gun Checks Act of 2011 in the U.S. House.

Remember (from the FBI website http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics ) The National Instant Criminal Background Check System, or NICS, is all about saving lives and protecting people from harmóby not letting guns and explosives fall into the wrong hands. It also ensures the timely transfer of firearms to eligible gun buyers. Mandated by the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993 and launched by the FBI on November 30, 1998, NICS is used by Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs) to instantly determine whether a prospective buyer is eligible to buy firearms or explosives.

That was "reasonable", right? The left said "Just give us this and we'll be happy". But now, of course, it's not enough. They want more.
    PBO saya the info is insufficient and inadequate and McCarthy is willing to fix it for him along with Bloomberg.
    Creeping incrementalism, anyone?
    Just one "reasonable" step at a time.
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

he may try an end run around Congress but he cant side step the CONSTITUTION...the anti gunners have tried the direct approach not they will try to legislate by making guns hazardous like lead paint and therefor subject to govt regulation and removal...they cant remove guns by by showing that lead is harmful then they can TRY and remove them from the market...its crazy people ..wake up out there..I bristle when I think that anyone into retriever games would be anti gun, but I know they are out there
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Obama will not TOUCH gun issues prior to re-election. Political suicide.
    If he becomes a lame duck, then I"ll be worried. But even then, as Bon pointed out, you cannot run contrary to the Constitution, at least without the SCOTUS's acquiesence.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Obama will not TOUCH gun issues prior to re-election. Political suicide.
    Then why even float a balloon?

I think this the DOMA for the hoplophobes on the left.
    Got to re-invigorate "the base".
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

I kind of hope he does go there..... maybe someone will have the stones to bring up the debacle in Arizona regarding the Feds feeding the mexicans automatic weapons...... He has lost ALL credibility on gun control......IMO
    SHR Presque Isle Jaeger Schwab JH (driving the bus)