The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: UN OKs Libya airstrikes, no-fly zone

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I'll have to revive this thread when the Iranian backed Muslim Brotherhood seizes power.

WASHINGTON -- In 2007, when American combat casualties were spiking in the bloodbath of the Iraq War, an 18-year-old laborer traveled from his home in eastern Libya through Egypt and Syria to join an al Qaeda terrorist cell in Iraq. He gave his name to al Qaeda operatives as Ashraf Ahmad Abu-Bakr al-Hasri. Occupation, he wrote: “Martyr.’’
    Abu-Bakr was one of hundreds of foreign fighters who flocked into the killing zones of Iraq to wage war against the “infidels." They came from Saudi Arabia, Syria, Oman, Algeria and other Islamic states. But on a per capita basis, no country sent more young fighters into Iraq to kill Americans than Libya -- and almost all of them came from eastern Libya, the center of the anti-Gaddafi rebellion that the United States and others now have vowed to protect, according to internal al Qaeda documents uncovered by U.S. intelligence.
    In the USA???

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/f...mo_code=BE61-1

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

My motto is, "America First".

So, why do we have to be the world police?

It is time for America to become semi-isolationist. We need to take care of our own problems at home not support a new wave of Islamic radicals/terrorist.

No doubt Obama's approval ratings will go up. Too many Americans are eager to rattle a sword and demonstrate our might. We would be better served in seeing the Islamic scum kill one another and staying out of this one. I can't tell you how disappointed I am in the Republicans for supporting this fiasco.

We've already upset the balance of power in the middle-east by castrating Iraq and by so doing have made Iran the biggest player power broker in the area.

You can bet that with no troops on the ground the Islamic backed Brotherhood will seize power. They've got to be laughing at our stupidity.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Newsmax has no problem with making shit up.

There are Islamic terrorist in the USA. But, Newsmax makes a living out of being sensational.
    Last edited by Franco; 03-19-2011 at 08:09 PM.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

It is time for America to become semi-isolationist. We need to take care of our own problems at home not support a new wave of Islamic radicals/terrorist.

No doubt Obama's approval ratings will go up. Too many Americans are eager to rattle a sword and demonstrate our might. We would be better served in seeing the Islamic scum kill one another and staying out of this one. I can't tell you how disappointed I am in the Republicans for supporting this fiasco.

We've already upset the balance of power in the middle-east by castrating Iraq and by so doing have made Iran the biggest player power broker in the area.

You can bet that with no troops on the ground the Islamic backed Brotherhood will seize power. They've got to be laughing at our stupidity.
    That is certainly one side of the issue. I think I'm leaning towards that camp as well.

Then there is the argument that by doing nothing, and watching the rebels get crushed as they strive for freedom, we damage our credibility as supporters of freedom and democracy.

The problem with that argument, is that I haven't seen that anyone in that area is fighting for freedom or democracy....rather just the next dictator who comes along, and will turn the very weapons we supplied them with against us eventually.

I suppose if we launch some cruise missiles, and fly some E3s, and call it a day, that's ok. But when does it ever go as planned?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    That is certainly one side of the issue. I think I'm leaning towards that camp as well.

Then there is the argument that by doing nothing, and watching the rebels get crushed as they strive for freedom, we damage our credibility as supporters of freedom and democracy.

The problem with that argument, is that I haven't seen that anyone in that area is fighting for freedom or democracy....rather just the next dictator who comes along, and will turn the very weapons we supplied them with against us eventually.

I suppose if we launch some cruise missiles, and fly some E3s, and call it a day, that's ok. But when does it ever go as planned?
    Then, as the World Police, we would have to free most of the world population or have our credibility damaged.

Do we start firing missels at Venezuela or China next?

In my book, it is a new day.

America is going to have to take care of Americans first. Followed by our close allies, which we could name on one hand minus the thumb. Let the rest if the world take care of their own damn selves!
    Last edited by Franco; 03-19-2011 at 09:00 PM.

Then, as the World Police, we would have to free most of the world population or have our credibility damaged.

Do we start firing missels at Venezuela or China next?

In my book, it is a new day.

America is going to have to take care of Americans first. Followed by our close allies, which we could name on one hand minus the thumb. Let the rest if the world take care of their own damn selves!
    I hear ya.

On a separate note, I think we should begin claiming our oil from Iraq. Open up some drilling there to keep supply/prices in check.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post

But who are we "freeing"?
    If we're "the world's policeman" isn't this like supporting the Crips vs Bloods or vice versa?
    No matter who wins, they'll both still hate us.
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Banned

I think this is your biggest fear. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    But who are we "freeing"?
    If we're "the world's policeman" isn't this like supporting the Crips vs Bloods or vice versa?
    No matter who wins, they'll both still hate us.

Asmaa Waguih / Reuters
    A woman shows her inked finger after casting her vote in a constitution referendum at a school in Cairo, on March 19.
    By HAMZA HENDAWI, MAGGIE MICHAEL
    CAIRO — Millions of Egyptians voted freely on Saturday for the first time in more than half a century, joyfully waiting for hours to cast their ballots on a package of constitutional changes eliminating much-hated restrictions on political rights and civil liberties.
    Young people traded mobile-phone pictures of ink-stained fingers that showed they voted. Others called relatives to boast of casting the first vote of their lives. In the well-off Cairo neighborhood of Maadi, a man hoisted his elderly, infirm father on his shoulder and carried him to a polling station.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42175645...deastn_africa/

Perhaps you should ask the Egyptians.

I find it interesting that Lybia's closest neighbors, Egypt and Tunsia, refuse to get involved. I also wonder if the folks we support today will be the ones we have to fight tomorrow. We have a pretty mixed record when it comes to backing the right side.
    Hoping for the best, expecting something worse.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford