The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Size of Government

Default The Size of Government

http://www.abc27.com/global/category...clipId=5691302

An intern at the Commonwealth Foundation made a chart of all the Pennsylvania agencies, task forces, etc. He came up with 343 of them (many of which nobody really knew existed), and 2 more have been added by the new Governor. The chart is 7 feet long!

If this is what just one state looks like, can we imagine what a Federal chart would look like?

Makes a case for "streamlining" govt at the very least. How can you keep track of what $ is being spent if you don't even know what agency is getting it, or how many other agencies may be duplicating the same efforts. And it's much too easy to create a new entity to do something that is already within the parameters of one that already exists. But if nobody is aware that the earlier entity exists ... they create a duplicate.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

The larger the size of the Federal Government, the less free we become!

Besides, isn't it obvious that we can't afford the Federal Government we have? Might as well start making some drastic cuts since they got us into this mess!
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

Any growth in Government at this time is contrary to what is best for America.

We MUST stop spending!!!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

There's always a flaw in these stories on government. The flaw is that the story seems to concentrate not on the story but rather on the sensationalism of the story.

For instance, both the groups mentioned (Boiler Advisory Board and Elevator Advisory Board) are probably valuable. They're probably mis-named and probably not paid. Both would relate to the safety...boilers and elevators. These devices are so specialized that you can't have the same people inspect them all. I guess you could have one group that supervises the inspectors for both boilers and elevators but that wouldn't really save money since these are unpaid positions, paid per diem expenses, and meet maybe quarterly at most.

Besides, just because neither the TV reporter (always a dunce in a suit) nor the 22 yr old intern knew of them, doesn't mean much. What I find interesting is that the kid spent a month studying the issue and still seems to suck his thumb. In my day, we would have spent a day discovering the problem and had a handle on it in the next. It may have taken a few more days to gather all the details but...

I found out about them with 5 seconds worth of search time...

Boiler Advisory Board
    L&I Support Organization:
    Pennsylvania Industrial Board
    Mandate/Authority:
    Act 80 of 1988, Section 2214 (G).
    Mission:
    Established by the Industrial Board to draft, maintain and interpret the Boiler Law and regulations; also conduct examinations for boiler inspectors and recommend commissioning of successful applicants.

Elevator Advisory Board
    L&I Support Organization:
    Pennsylvania Industrial Board
    Mandate/Authority:
    Act 80 of 1988, Section 2214 (G).
    Mission:
    Established by the Industrial Board to draft, maintain and interpret the Elevator Law and regulations.

Now....let's talk about really saving some dollars. How about we do away with the US Dept of Education? That might even resolve the issues with the slow learning intern in the TV story.

Eric

I agree with you, Eric, those two particular entities seem to have a useful purpose, and these might have been poor examples to use ... unless they are a duplication of functions already performed by some other bureaucratic entities.

Existing legislators questioned, had no clue that such entities existed ... which could mean that if some kind of accident occurred, they might just form a new bureaucratic entity when there was no need for an additional one; rather a "reform" of the existing one.

Second, if legislators are unaware of the existence of such entities within govt, do they pay attention to how much funding is being allocated & whether the funding is yielding the desired results.

Do those in govt care about such details if they can just raise taxes to cover their expenses?

30 years ago, (oops, now you might guess how old I am) I had a summer job with IBM. 3 of us college students spent the summer reviewing company computer reports in existence throughout the corporation. The corp suspected that they were producing many computer reports as "new" that were already available. They had no index of what reports were being produced company-wide. Computer time was valuable, and they didn't want to waste time producing multiple reports that gave the same information. Better to run one report once & distribute it to many, than prepare "unique" reports for each of the many.

Department heads simply ordered reports they needed, but had no idea that the report might already exist. The goal was to index the existing reports, remove the duplicates, and allow department heads to get quicker answers to their questions & not have to wait for a "new" report to be generated when it might already exist. Three of us spent over 2-1/2 mos. at this task (and that was only part of the project!)

Can we imagine how many such reports exist in our state and Federal govts? How many are duplicates?

Did the three of us have any clue as to the "reasons" for those reports? No. The next step was for someone with more company knowledge to assess which ones were dupllicates ... and eliminate the duplicates to save time and labor. Today they could probably have a computer program do this data-gathering, boring job Maybe not, as we had to read the report to describe what information the report was conveying.

The private company was motivated to increase its profits by saving human and computer time. What motivation exists for govts? I do have this thought that we only "change" when we have to. The incentive to change has to be greater than the incentive to maintain the status quo.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

I would like to see federal law enforcement agencies consolidate. No need for a U.S. Marshall's office and the FBI, too. ATF could go into the mix as well.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Please see signature line.........This is exactly what Jefferson warned us about.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

How do you cut the size of Govt when they people WE elected are left with the job of cutting what they have created...isnt that like asking the fox in the hen house to only eat one chicken instead of three

When was the last time, check that, the first time when your elected representative actually did what you wanted...in many ways we have created the monster, now how do we stop what we created
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    How do you cut the size of Govt when they people WE elected are left with the job of cutting what they have created...isnt that like asking the fox in the hen house to only eat one chicken instead of three

When was the last time, check that, the first time when your elected representative actually did what you wanted...in many ways we have created the monster, now how do we stop what we created
    Just last month.

His name is Scott Walker!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post

By seeking Independent candidates that best represent your view. Better yet, find Libetarian candidates that represent your view.

Both the Democratic and Repbulican parties are broken. Both are owned by Speicial Interest and Lobbyist.

Want real change? Then we need a real voter revolution throwing both parties out of power!
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345