The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our Founding Fathers Founded This Nation On Christian Values

Default Our Founding Fathers Founded This Nation On Christian Values

Our founding fathers founded this nation on Christian values. We have heard it repeated countless times. Is true or BS? You be the judge. Let's play a game. There will be a quote and guess who it is from.

1. Christianity neither is, nor ever was, a part of the common law.

2. The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason.

3. The purpose of separation of church and state is to keep these shores from the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe in blood for centuries.

4. This would be the best of all possible worlds if there were no religion in it.

5. I do not believe in the creed by the Jewish Church, by the Roman Church, by the Greek Church, by the Turkish Church, by the Protestant Church, nor by any Church that I know of. My own mind is my own Church. Each of these Churches accuse the other of unbelief; and for my part, I disbelieve them all.
    What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.

1. Thomas Jefferson
    2. Benjamin Franklin
    3. James Madison
    4. John Adams
    5. Thomas Paine

"Religious controversies are always productive of more acrimony and irreconcilable hatreds than those which spring from any other cause. Of all the animosities which have existed among mankind, those which are caused by the difference of sentiments in religion appear to be the most inveterate and distressing, and ought most to be depreciated. I was in hopes that the enlightened and liberal policy, which has marked the present age, would at least have reconciled Christians of every denomination so far that we should never again see the religious disputes carried to such a pitch as to endanger the peace of society."
    George Washington
    Last edited by Losthwy; 03-27-2011 at 11:02 PM.
    What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.

Well first we need to determine who our founding fathers are? Those fellers who you list and are wonderful in their idea of this experiment of a republic they came up with? Or the very first Puritan settlers who were escaping religious persecution?
    Jefferson penned his own bible. Franklin, wasn’t he a Unitarian Universalist? Basically, no matter what they called themselves or what cult they may have been in. They knew of Christianity. It was more in their practical mind than say for example Buddhism.
    And seeing as that was the dominant value of the day, an argument could very well be made. Like it or not.

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I am not sure what your question is, but that is likely more on this end than yours.

But if you are asking the deeper question, were these men led by their Christian values, I would say yes.

As far as seperation of church & state, I beleive the premise was to keep the government OUT of the church.
    It has since been twisted to mean keep the church out of government.
    I think religious folks should be allowed to participate in government just as much as secular progressives.

I have been told that there is actually no where in the constitution that states "seperation of church & state."

stan b
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Losthwy View Post

1. Thomas Jefferson
    2. Benjamin Franklin
    3. James Madison
    4. John Adams
    5. Thomas Paine

All Deist in belief. Remember that these highly educated men were a product of the Enlightenment. Though they were not as radical as those that subscribed to Enlightenment thought in Europe, where the society of the Illuminati was formed, they believed in the teachings of the Rabbi Jesus, they just didn't view him as a god.

We can still see the influences of thier beliefs in our one dollar bill. The words, "Noues Ordo Seclous" translates to "Secular New Order" and the symbol of the Pheonix rising from the ashes with "ignorant world". Or, the USA rising from an ignorant world.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    All Deist in belief. Remember that these highly educated men were a product of the Enlightenment.
    That is how I see it as well. Religion is mention once in the constitution "no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any office or public trust under the United States".
    They were all very much aware of the religious persecution not only in Europe but here in the Colonies as well. Such as the Puritans who persecuted the Quakers in Mass or the Protestants who persecuted Catholics in Maryland. It is correct "separation of church and state" is not in the constitution nor in the first amendment either, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"... Though Thomas Jefferson did use the phrase in a letter when he was president. From their writings and the 1st amendment I think not only were they were wary of any undue influence of government into religion, but undue influence of religion into government.

Quote Originally Posted by Losthwy View Post
    That is how I see it as well. Religion is mention once in the constitution "no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any office or public trust under the United States".
    They were all very much aware of the religious persecution not only in Europe but here in the Colonies as well. Such as the Puritans who persecuted the Quakers in Mass or the Protestants who persecuted Catholics in Maryland. It is correct "separation of church and state" is not in the constitution nor in the first amendment either, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"... Though Thomas Jefferson did use the phrase in a letter when he was president. From their writings and the 1st amendment I think not only were they were wary of any undue influence of government into religion, but undue influence of religion into government.
    It is too bad that the Bible Thumpers have clipped the wings of the Pheonix rising
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post

We can still see the influences of thier beliefs in our one dollar bill. The words, "Noues Ordo Seclous" translates to "Secular New Order" and the symbol of the Pheonix rising from the ashes with "ignorant world". Or, the USA rising from an ignorant world.
    Hmmm. the USA rising from an ignorant world. The good old days. Too bad it's no longer rising, but sinking into ignorance now because of all this dumbing down to accomodate the lowest common denominator.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

"Religion and government will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together."
    James Madison

From Religion of the American Enlightenment:
    "Denominated a Deist, the reality of which I have never disputed, being conscious that I am no Christian."

Ethan Allen
    Last edited by Losthwy; 03-28-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Senior Member precisionlabradors's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    Hmmm. the USA rising from an ignorant world. The good old days. Too bad it's no longer rising, but sinking into ignorance now because of all this dumbing down to accomodate the lowest common denominator.
    .....which is often sold to the public as the "right thing to do" based on chrisitan principles.
    find me on the web