The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Our Founding Fathers Founded This Nation On Christian Values

Quote Originally Posted by sinner View Post
    Read the book!
    Why -in your opinion?
    Excerptsfrom the book - "And here is the point, about myself and my co-thinkers. Our belief is not a belief. Our principles are not a faith. We do not rely solely upon science and reason, because these are necessary rather than sufficient factors, but we distrust anything that contradicts science or outrages reason."
    "We are not immune to the lure of wonder and mystery and awe: we have music and art and literature, and find that the serious ethical dilemmas are better handled by Shakespeare and Tolstoy and Schiller and Dostoyevsky and George Eliot than in the mythical morality tales of the holy books. Literature, not scripture, sustains the mind and—since there is no other metaphor—also the soul."

From the NY Times review - "Hitchens is an old-fashioned village atheist, standing in the square trying to pick arguments with the good citizens on their way to church. "

It seems to me that I can save myself a whole lot of time & reading and just listen to Mike Malloy for 5 minutes or so in the evening and be told how "mentally ill" I am for believing in "sky spooks" etc.

Actually though, I am reading (or I should say listening to) a good (imo) book about religion. "The Looming Tower - Al Qaeda and the Road to 9/11" by Lawrence Wright. A National Book Award finalist.
    And then I've got "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell on tap.
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Is that in response to my post?
    Yeah, have you read it?
    A couple of you have.
    Good for balance!
    This is what he was all about!:
    Vinny last hunting year
    53 pheasants in South Dakota 200 + ducks in Idaho
    Lasting memories Vinny was 13+ years old!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Why -in your opinion?
    Excerptsfrom the book - "And here is the point, about myself and my co-thinkers. Our belief is not a belief. Our principles are not a faith. We do not rely solely upon science and reason, because these are necessary rather than sufficient factors, but we distrust anything that contradicts science or outrages reason."
    "We are not immune to the lure of wonder and mystery and awe: we have music and art and literature, and find that the serious ethical dilemmas are better handled by Shakespeare and Tolstoy and Schiller and Dostoyevsky and George Eliot than in the mythical morality tales of the holy books. Literature, not scripture, sustains the mind and—since there is no other metaphor—also the soul."

From the NY Times review - "Hitchens is an old-fashioned village atheist, standing in the square trying to pick arguments with the good citizens on their way to church. "

It seems to me that I can save myself a whole lot of time & reading and just listen to Mike Malloy for 5 minutes or so in the evening and be told how "mentally ill" I am for believing in "sky spooks" etc.

Actually though, I am reading (or I should say listening to) a good (imo) book about religion. "The Looming Tower - Al Qaeda and the Road to 9/11" by Lawrence Wright. A National Book Award finalist.
    And then I've got "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell on tap.
    Well at least you have read it or heard some of it.
    My fish on the back of my car has legs on it (dirty sign in good old Colorado Springs)!
    This is what he was all about!:
    Vinny last hunting year
    53 pheasants in South Dakota 200 + ducks in Idaho
    Lasting memories Vinny was 13+ years old!

Yeah, have you read it?
    A couple of you have.
    Good for balance!
    Have you read the Bible??

VERY Good for balance!!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Read the book!
    Which book? The Old Testament? Great stories. Gets an R rating for violence. Especially the early chapters. The Jews roam around the desert wiping out tribe after tribe. Read the Federalist Papers as well.
    What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.