The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Santorum blames abortion for Social Security woes

Default Santorum blames abortion for Social Security woes

Right wingers are always good for a laugh. The sad thing is I am sure a few on this board will try to support this agrument.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110329/...us_santorum_nh

CONCORD, N.H. In his latest trip to New Hampshire, Republican Rick Santorum says the Social Security system would be in much better shape if there were fewer abortions.

The former Pennsylvania senator and potential presidential candidate was asked about Social Security during an interview on WESZ-AM radio in Laconia on Tuesday morning.

He says the system has design flaws, but the reason it is in big trouble is that there aren't enough workers to support retirees. He blamed that on what he called the nation's abortion culture. He says that culture, coupled with policies that do not support families, deny America what it needs more people.

Santorum has been a frequent visitor to New Hampshire, which holds the earliest presidential primary.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nate_C View Post
    Right wingers are always good for a laugh. The sad thing is I am sure a few on this board will try to support this agrument.

CONCORD, N.H. In his latest trip to New Hampshire, Republican Rick Santorum says the Social Security system would be in much better shape if there were fewer abortions.

The former Pennsylvania senator and potential presidential candidate was asked about Social Security during an interview on WESZ-AM radio in Laconia on Tuesday morning.

He says the system has design flaws, but the reason it is in big trouble is that there aren't enough workers to support retirees. He blamed that on what he called the nation's abortion culture. He says that culture, coupled with policies that do not support families, deny America what it needs more people.

Santorum has been a frequent visitor to New Hampshire, which holds the earliest presidential primary.
    Too many retirees getting pregnant.

He may be crazy but he's not exactly wrong...Without immigration we have negative population growth. So essentially we don't have enough people paying long enough to support the retirees. To say that abortion has no impact is a little ludicrious don't you think? there are almost 2 million abortions a year. That is quite a bit of money social security is losing.

He forgot about the major design flaw in the system that pays people to have children even though they are incapable of supporting themselves. I suspect that, not the number of abortions, is more relevant to the lack of workers paying into the system. Along with the fact the systemit was not designed to pay benefits to those that didn't pay into it.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Covey View Post
    To say that abortion has no impact is a little ludicrious don't you think? there are almost 2 million abortions a year. That is quite a bit of money social security is losing.
    I would argue just the opposite. If you do the research, I bet you'd discover that the demographics of those abortions would be more mouths for entitlement and SS to pay FOR, not be receiving revenues FROM.

But that is not to argue for or against abortion. Studies have shown across time and borders, that banning abortions results in an increase in violent and nonviolent crime 18-30 years down the road. The demographics of those having abortions overlaps the demographics of those committing crimes. The book Freakonomics discusses this at length with ample citations and documentation. Likewise, when abortion has been legalized, there is a corresponding decrease in crimes in the 20 year time frame. Our downturn in crimes that clinton liked to take credit for, with his 50,000 police, followed Roe by how much? 20 some years? This pattern has been shown not only in America, but several other nations as well, in both directions.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    I would argue just the opposite. If you do the research, I bet you'd discover that the demographics of those abortions would be more mouths for entitlement and SS to pay FOR, not be receiving revenues FROM.

But that is not to argue for or against abortion. Studies have shown across time and borders, that banning abortions results in an increase in violent and nonviolent crime 18-30 years down the road. The demographics of those having abortions overlaps the demographics of those committing crimes. The book Freakonomics discusses this at length with ample citations and documentation. Likewise, when abortion has been legalized, there is a corresponding decrease in crimes in the 20 year time frame. Our downturn in crimes that clinton liked to take credit for, with his 50,000 police, followed Roe by how much? 20 some years? This pattern has been shown not only in America, but several other nations as well, in both directions.
    I am glad someone else here has read Freakonomics. I quoted that book about abortions two weeks ago.
    Kevin Entwistle

WGD (Worlds Greatest Dog) Cinci Redstocking "Loki", born: Jan. 22, 1999, RIP November 13, 2011
    "Lars" Chilian with the Rainmaker, born: Feb. 2, 2010

"That which you manifest is before you" (The Art of Racing in the Rain)

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by LokiMeister View Post
    I am glad someone else here has read Freakonomics. I quoted that book about abortions two weeks ago.

Superfreakonomics is also good.
    Hard to argue with those guys. Their conclusions are well supported.
    Can't label them as left or right leaning, either. Numbers are numbers.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Superfreakonomics is also good.
    Hard to argue with those guys. Their conclusions are well supported.
    Can't label them as left or right leaning, either. Numbers are numbers.
    Super Freak is on its way to me now. I can't wait to read it.
    Kevin Entwistle

WGD (Worlds Greatest Dog) Cinci Redstocking "Loki", born: Jan. 22, 1999, RIP November 13, 2011
    "Lars" Chilian with the Rainmaker, born: Feb. 2, 2010

"That which you manifest is before you" (The Art of Racing in the Rain)

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

He says that culture, coupled with policies that do not support families, deny America what it needs more people.

What an idiot! Last thing we need is more people.

Compare out standard of living in 1950 when we were a nation of 150 million to now where we are over 300 million.

No comparison!

We love to bash the Dems here on POTUS but the reality is there are just as many idiots like Santorium on both sides of the isle!
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    What an idiot! Last thing we need is more people.

Compare out standard of living in 1950 when we were a nation of 150 million to now where we are over 300 million.

No comparison!

We love to bash the Dems here on POTUS but the reality is there are just as many idiots like Santorium on both sides of the isle!
    It's amazing.
    You could live incredibly well in the 50's on $25,000.

I would say at the level of $100,000 now.
    I know someone will argue, but I lived then and I know what we had and how much my Pops made.

I know how much I make now it is not proportionally better.

Plus the world was a much cooler place to be then!!!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis