The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 64

Thread: Santorum blames abortion for Social Security woes

  1. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    That may be easier for doctors, lawyers, and businessmen to say. I worked several years in the oil refineries as a welder's helper and gopher, and can say definitively, that kind of work is not sustainable until 96! My grandfather put 43 years in the coal mines, and was good and ready to retire at 63. At 92, he's the only one of his work buddies still alive. I think letting someone retire at 65 after 40+ years of manual labor is within the bounds of reason. Today 07:23 AM
    Me too.,,, but if they are still able to be productive they should allow to be. If they are canned for one reason or another then there is always a greeting type job at walmart or they can do little things to generate money. They are responsible for their own lives.
    I guess thats why eskimo's when they became to old and useless ,,would take their long cold journey out in the frozen world all by their lonesome.

    I like the idea of family taking care of their loved ones myself. I can't see how their offspring could ever consider neglecting them,,unless the parents were just low lifes to begin with in which case ,,,just send them out on the ice with a six pack of beer and some jerkey. And 1 bullet.

    Pete

  2. #32
    Senior Member dnf777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Western Pa
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Me too.,,, but if they are still able to be productive they should allow to be. If they are canned for one reason or another then there is always a greeting type job at walmart or they can do little things to generate money. They are responsible for their own lives.
    I guess thats why eskimo's when they became to old and useless ,,would take their long cold journey out in the frozen world all by their lonesome.

    I like the idea of family taking care of their loved ones myself. I can't see how their offspring could ever consider neglecting them,,unless the parents were just low lifes to begin with in which case ,,,just send them out on the ice with a six pack of beer and some jerkey. And 1 bullet.

    Pete
    LMAO!

    If you set my grandfather at the enterance to wal-mart, you'd have a line out to the edge of the parking lot, waiting to hear deer camp and fishing yarns of lore, but not much shopping would ever get done!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

  3. #33
    Senior Member BrianW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Athol, North Idaho
    Posts
    885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LokiMeister View Post
    The authors of Freakonomics simply says that the drop in crime rate is correlated with drop (increase) ? in abortions. This is due to the fact that poor people tend to have more abortions since they cannot afford the baby in the first place especially since social programs are being eliminated for having more babies. Poor and desperate people tend to commit more crimes so if you have less poor and desperate people there tends to be less crime.

    I don't know about the correlation between government social programs and crime.
    Isn't that what you meant? Increase in abortions = less poor people > less crime according to your formula.
    So if we kill people, we'll have less crime.

    Wait - isn't the left against capital punishment?

    OK, We can end the life of humans that haven't done anything to anybody yet and justify it in the name of preventing possible future crime;, but we can't execute them in the event of actual crimes.
    I'm really puzzled by the left..
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791
    ________________________________________
    Proud partner of (HR) WR SR Brian's 44Magnum Monster
    co-owned by HR Rianne's 2nd Chance Hurricane Rebel

  4. #34
    Senior Member duckheads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Isn't that what you meant? Increase in abortions = less poor people > less crime according to your formula.
    So if we kill people, we'll have less crime.

    Wait - isn't the left against capital punishment?

    OK, We can end the life of humans that haven't done anything to anybody yet and justify it in the name of preventing possible future crime;, but we can't execute them in the event of actual crimes.
    I'm really puzzled by the left..
    Liberalism is a mental disorder!
    CPR HRCH Scott's Sweet Brandy
    Kankakee River HRC
    NRA Life Member
    Pheasants Forever
    Delta Waterfowl

  5. #35
    Senior Member LokiMeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Stoughton, WI
    Posts
    613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Isn't that what you meant? Increase in abortions = less poor people > less crime according to your formula.
    So if we kill people, we'll have less crime.

    Wait - isn't the left against capital punishment?

    OK, We can end the life of humans that haven't done anything to anybody yet and justify it in the name of preventing possible future crime;, but we can't execute them in the event of actual crimes.
    I'm really puzzled by the left..
    Freakonomics isn't casting blame at all nor making a political statement. It is just pointing out the correlation, and trying to explain it, between the advent of legalized abortion and the lower crime rate. You also need to note, correlation DOES NOT imply causality. Meaning just because two things happen, doesn't mean that one caused the other.
    Kevin Entwistle

    WGD (Worlds Greatest Dog) Cinci Redstocking "Loki", born: Jan. 22, 1999, RIP November 13, 2011
    "Lars" Chilian with the Rainmaker, born: Feb. 2, 2010


    "That which you manifest is before you" (The Art of Racing in the Rain)

    "Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

  6. #36
    Senior Member dnf777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Western Pa
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Isn't that what you meant? Increase in abortions = less poor people > less crime according to your formula.
    So if we kill people, we'll have less crime.Wait - isn't the left against capital punishment?

    OK, We can end the life of humans that haven't done anything to anybody yet and justify it in the name of preventing possible future crime;, but we can't execute them in the event of actual crimes.
    I'm really puzzled by the left..

    Nobody said that.
    The book merely assembled numbers and historical data along timelines.
    Take it for what its worth to you.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

  7. #37
    Senior Member BrianW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Athol, North Idaho
    Posts
    885

    Default

    I'm just questioning what Loki actually wrote vs what he intended to report from the book. ie less abortions can not equal less people, only more.

    Then commented on what you guys put out there as a debatable point,
    trying do draw some kind of logical conclusion from the correlating data.
    Abortion is the termination of a human life in development. Isn't that killing - : to deprive of life : cause the death of
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791
    ________________________________________
    Proud partner of (HR) WR SR Brian's 44Magnum Monster
    co-owned by HR Rianne's 2nd Chance Hurricane Rebel

  8. #38
    Senior Member dnf777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Western Pa
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    I'm just questioning what Loki actually wrote vs what he intended to report from the book. ie less abortions can not equal less people, only more.

    Then commented on what you guys put out there as a debatable point,
    trying do draw some kind of logical conclusion from the correlating data.
    Abortion is the termination of a human life in development. Isn't that killing - : to deprive of life : cause the death of
    Actually, what YOU say is debatable as well. Personally, I agree with that, but (and you may call me a liberal for this) but I don't impose my religious beliefs on others.

    What the book points out, is that the demographics of those committing crimes, is nearly identical to those of people having abortions. After a 10-30 year lapse, the crime rates decrease. And that happens to the the age bracket for the majority of perpetrators of violent crime. Now I can touch a horseshoe and burn myself, and figure out that horseshoe is hot, rather than sit around debating if its hot or not.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

  9. #39
    Senior Member LokiMeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Stoughton, WI
    Posts
    613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    I'm just questioning what Loki actually wrote vs what he intended to report from the book. ie less abortions can not equal less people, only more.

    Then commented on what you guys put out there as a debatable point,
    trying do draw some kind of logical conclusion from the correlating data.
    Abortion is the termination of a human life in development. Isn't that killing - : to deprive of life : cause the death of
    Where, when, how did I say that abortions equal more people?

    The only logical point that might be made is that abortions might decrease the crime rate. I am not arguing that abortions should be legal or not. That is a different subject, actually the original subject in this thread. If Santorum has correlating data that sames that abortion causes the Social Security problem then it should be looked at separately.

    I see why you are confused because you aren't making a lot of sense.
    Kevin Entwistle

    WGD (Worlds Greatest Dog) Cinci Redstocking "Loki", born: Jan. 22, 1999, RIP November 13, 2011
    "Lars" Chilian with the Rainmaker, born: Feb. 2, 2010


    "That which you manifest is before you" (The Art of Racing in the Rain)

    "Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

  10. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LokiMeister View Post
    Where, when, how did I say that abortions equal more people?

    The only logical point that might be made is that abortions might decrease the crime rate. I am not arguing that abortions should be legal or not. That is a different subject, actually the original subject in this thread. If Santorum has correlating data that sames that abortion causes the Social Security problem then it should be looked at separately.

    I see why you are confused because you aren't making a lot of sense.
    Look at your post Brian quoted...I'm sure it was a typo but it is there...
    Last edited by Cody Covey; 03-31-2011 at 04:43 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •