The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WA electric car fee

Default WA electric car fee

Wash. Senate OKs electric car fee, math test bill

Wash. Senate approves $100 fee for electric cars, high school math assessment bill

Molly Rosbach, Associated Press, On Wednesday March 30, 2011, 8:41 am EDT
    OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) -- The state Senate approved several bills Tuesday, including a measure to impose a $100 annual fee on electric cars to make up for lost gas tax revenue, and a bill that eases the transition to a new statewide high school math assessment.
    With less than a month left in the scheduled 105-day session, lawmakers have begun a new wave of floor votes. The session is scheduled to adjourn April 24.
    Under the electric car bill, drivers would pay the fee every year when they renew their vehicle registration.
    Sen. Mary Margaret Haugen, D-Camano Island, included the fee on her transportation budget. She says the Senate transportation budget proposal was dependent on passage of the fee, which is expected to bring in about $400,000 in fiscal year 2013.
    Opponents argue that imposing a fee on electric cars discourages environmentally conscious drivers, but Haugen said electric car owners ought to help pay to maintain the public highways they use.
    "We recognize they're an important part of the future, but it needs to help pay its fair share," Haugen said of electric cars.
    The Washington State Department of Transportation estimates that drivers with gasoline-powered vehicles pay about $200 a year in gas tax. The state gas tax is 37.5 cents per gallon.
    The bill now moves to the House for approval.

HA HA HA!! They should help pay for the roads. Too bad the feds aren't doing the same thing!
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

What a croc. it will never end with these people. You know when one state does something to get more money from the taxpayers the other are sure to follow.

The real irony is that the Fed govt is trying to get more people to use electric cars ... at the same time that States are legislating to make electric cars more expensive to own. And also legislating to make electricity more expensive.

One hand giveth ... and the other taketh away.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

100 bucks a year is cheaper than what I spend on gas tax a year here in Washington state. Our gas tax is 37.5 cents a gallon...it would only take 270 fill ups in my small car to get to 100 bucks and I would estimate, without taking into account duck season when I am driving more, that I fill up upwards of 300 times

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    The real irony is that the Fed govt is trying to get more people to use electric cars ... at the same time that States are legislating to make electric cars more expensive to own. And also legislating to make electricity more expensive.

One hand giveth ... and the other taketh away.
    Love it!!!!! Now if we could just get the bicycle people to pony up their share .

It's a season of humor out here in WA. The voters restricted most taxes but then voted the same cast of characters back to office . Public employees are scrambling for any revenue source they can drum up to pay for their fat salaries & perks. It's basically, I'm here from your local regulator, give me more .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by starjack View Post
    What a croc. it will never end with these people. You know when one state does something to get more money from the taxpayers the other are sure to follow.
    OTOH, maybe those with electric cars would like it if they were banned from the use of the roads paid for by gas tax? They could zoom up and down their driveways.

Eric

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Covey View Post
    100 bucks a year is cheaper than what I spend on gas tax a year here in Washington state. Our gas tax is 37.5 cents a gallon...it would only take 270 fill ups in my small car to get to 100 bucks and I would estimate, without taking into account duck season when I am driving more, that I fill up upwards of 300 times
    Fill-ups? Don't you mean gallons?

270 fill-ups is 23 fill-ups per months. That's just less than 6 fill-ups per week. Basically, almost every day.

WRL

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    Fill-ups? Don't you mean gallons?

270 fill-ups is 23 fill-ups per months. That's just less than 6 fill-ups per week. Basically, almost every day.

WRL
    $100/.375 = 266.+ ... Guess he meant about 270 gallons. 13-1/2 fill-ups for a 20-gallon tank.

But I think the electric car might come up short for a hunting trip
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    $100/.375 = 266.+ ... Guess he meant about 270 gallons. 13-1/2 fill-ups for a 20-gallon tank.

But I think the electric car might come up short for a hunting trip
    Well that's what I thought but wasn't sure.

WRL

does the electric car fee also include those that live in golf communities and only drive a golf cart ?
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"