The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Swamp People History Channel GDG

  1. #11
    Senior Member starjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    There is no size limit because you just don't know how big a gator will take the bait. The La. Wildlife & Fisheries issues tags depending on how many gators they feel can be harvested.

    Price varies from season to season but $10.-$20 per foot is what they've gone for in the past.
    How come some hunter get (example) 300 tags and the next get 200tags?. I have never had gator meat. I would think the smaller ones would taste better. But as for the skin would go to bigger ones?

  2. #12
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by starjack View Post
    How come some hunter get (example) 300 tags and the next get 200tags?. I have never had gator meat. I would think the smaller ones would taste better. But as for the skin would go to bigger ones?
    Number of tags is based on the amount of gators in that area or lease. The La. Wildlife & Fisheries spends much of the Summer estimating populations in certain areas and then determines how many should be harvested.

    Most of the skins go to Italy where clothing items from purses, shoes. boots, wallets to belts are made and then sold worldwide. Four footers are what is in most demand by the tanneries. That's why gator farms harvest them at 4 foot. With the bigger gator hides, only the underbelly is used. The skulls of big gators sell for a premium for home decor.

    I like eating gator is a Sauce Piquent. Not as good as turtle but, still tasty.
    Last edited by Franco; 04-01-2011 at 02:42 PM.
    Changing the Presidential Debates to allow Liberty on the stage will change America. You can help. Go to Our America's Debate Challenge to learn how you can help.

  3. #13
    Senior Member starjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Number of tags is based on the amount of gators in that area or lease. The La. Wildlife & Fisheries spends much of the Summer estimating populations in certain areas and then determines how many should be harvested.

    Most of the skins go to Italy where clothing items from purses, shoes. boots, wallets to belts are made and then sold worldwide. Four footers are what is in most demand by the tanneries. That's why gator farms harvest them at 4 foot. With the bigger gator's hides, only the underbelly is used. The skulls of big gators sell for a premium for home decor.
    Just don't let the wis. DNR Control them like they try to do our deer you won't have a gator in the state

  4. #14
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,536

    Default

    I use to duck hunt a section of land down in Pecan Island, La. The section is boardered by big canals. The canals are full of gators all year long when the temp is above 50 degrees. Yet, we never see any on the duck lease because they like the deeper water.

    Couple of years ago, I brought my dog duck hunting on an gator farm near Houma, La. next to Bayou Black. We had a freeze the night before and they all burried themselves into the mud. Had a great hunt and used the hibernating gators as traction for my push-pole on the way out.
    Changing the Presidential Debates to allow Liberty on the stage will change America. You can help. Go to Our America's Debate Challenge to learn how you can help.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Hew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,082

    Default

    I'm becoming quickly disillusioned with that show and its creative editing and the outright BS that comes out of the narrator's mouth. And this season's editing is already more egregious than last season. Am I really supposed to believe that anybody is dumb enough to shoot an alligator that's laying on the bottom of their boat? Really? And twice in one show? Really? And if I had to drink one beer for every foot difference between what the narrator is claiming a gator to be vs. how long the gator actually is I'd be getting my stomach pumped by the end of every episode. I like the guys doing the hunting. It's the Hollywood editors that need to be dragged behind the boat.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

  6. #16
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    I'm becoming quickly disillusioned with that show and its creative editing and the outright BS that comes out of the narrator's mouth. And this season's editing is already more egregious than last season. Am I really supposed to believe that anybody is dumb enough to shoot an alligator that's laying on the bottom of their boat? Really? And twice in one show? Really? And if I had to drink one beer for every foot difference between what the narrator is claiming a gator to be vs. how long the gator actually is I'd be getting my stomach pumped by the end of every episode. I like the guys doing the hunting. It's the Hollywood editors that need to be dragged behind the boat.
    They do it all the time. A .22 magnum will not through the skull. Actually, it won't go through the spinal cord at the base of the neck where they are shooting them.
    Changing the Presidential Debates to allow Liberty on the stage will change America. You can help. Go to Our America's Debate Challenge to learn how you can help.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Hew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    They do it all the time. A .22 magnum will not through the skull. Actually, it won't go through the spinal cord at the base of the neck where they are shooting them.
    And if they miss the spinal cord of a squirming/slashing alligator...? Unless you're gonna tell me you've been on a boat and seen this happen with your own eyes I ain't buyin' it. I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer, and I've killed more than a few gators...there's no way I'm shooting one as it flails around on the bottom of my boat.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

  8. #18
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    And if they miss the spinal cord of a squirming/slashing alligator...? Unless you're gonna tell me you've been on a boat and seen this happen with your own eyes I ain't buyin' it. I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer, and I've killed more than a few gators...there's no way I'm shooting one as it flails around on the bottom of my boat.
    Yes, Ive seen it with my own eyes. It would take a heavy bullet at a very high velocity to penetrate the skull.

    I use to go all the time when they first took gators off the endangered specie list some 30 plus years ago. In fact, I was a spectator on an accompaning boat when the world's record was taken the first season on the first day. I may bring the picture to work and try to scan it and post. The gator's hide with skull was an exhibit at the La Nature Center until it was destroyed by Katrina. The picture I have is when they were hoisting the gator out of the water with a hand crane.

    A lot of the old timers lift the live gator head over the boats gunnel and sever the spinal cord at the neck with a hatchet. Shooting the gator is more to a sports liking. I've shot them with eveything for .22 Hornet to 30-30.
    Changing the Presidential Debates to allow Liberty on the stage will change America. You can help. Go to Our America's Debate Challenge to learn how you can help.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    I'm becoming quickly disillusioned with that show and its creative editing and the outright BS that comes out of the narrator's mouth. And this season's editing is already more egregious than last season. Am I really supposed to believe that anybody is dumb enough to shoot an alligator that's laying on the bottom of their boat? Really? And twice in one show? Really? And if I had to drink one beer for every foot difference between what the narrator is claiming a gator to be vs. how long the gator actually is I'd be getting my stomach pumped by the end of every episode. I like the guys doing the hunting. It's the Hollywood editors that need to be dragged behind the boat.
    If a live gator ever gets in my boat, I would not rule out shooting it (especially with a .22)

    I can plug a boat a lot easier than I can grow another foot or hand.

    As far as the embellishments by the narrator, that's to be expected with any group of guys telling stories (especially fishing and hunting) and Troy n Jacob Landry went on about how big the limb was on that willow tree (darn branch was hardly 6 inches)
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

  10. #20
    Senior Member cwilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Love dem tree shakas.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •