The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Lancashire Heeler as a family member?

Default Lancashire Heeler as a family member?

Any one here have any experience with the breed? If so, your thoughts, pro or con .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

had to google them

are ya gettin one?

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    had to google them

are ya gettin one?

We are thinking - had a blue heeler, loved her, but want a smaller dog with similar characteristics so it's easier to travel with.

Pricy though, I keep asking them why I should pay more for an earthdog pup than I paid for a pup with 3 NC's in the 1st 6 dogs or one out of a proven NC & FC-AFC. They tell me the pups are rare, I counter with Sharpei's were also until folks found what a pain caring for the wrinkles were .

I can't believe no one on RTF has not had one.

Marvin S

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    We are thinking - had a blue heeler, loved her, but want a smaller dog with similar characteristics so it's easier to travel with.

Pricy though, I keep asking them why I should pay more for an earthdog pup than I paid for a pup with 3 NC's in the 1st 6 dogs or one out of a proven NC & FC-AFC. They tell me the pups are rare, I counter with Sharpei's were also until folks found what a pain caring for the wrinkles were .

I can't believe no one on RTF has not had one.
    Is that a working dog?

A herding breed?

stan b
    Stan b & Elvis

I also had to google them--look like neat little dogs. I noted they have a lot of Welsh corgi in them. I think if I was to get a herding breed a corgi would be my choice. They are quite common among the horsefolk where I live, and as herding breeds go seem to be more mellow than most and not as nippy. They seem to be intelligent little dogs that are quite personable.

But I'd guess that finding a pup from HC titled parents, given how rare the breed is, might be like looking for a Curly coat or NSDTR from FC/AFC parents: not likely in our lifetimes. From what I've observed of herding competitions (admittedly not much, but I have attended/written up a few for local publications) these seem to be geared toward Border Collies the way FTs are geared to Labs; you don't see many other breeds even entered, much less competing!
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Is that a working dog?

A herding breed?

stan b
    From what I read the heeler comes from their herding, sort of a mini Australian Cattle Dog. What I enjoy is the way they stalk & kill rats, moles & mice. Had to keep our other heeler away from the garter snakes as she dispatched them quickly & they eat lots of mosquitoes.

I might even do Earthdog with her if I get one. Have to go to one of the events to see what it's like.

Marvin S