The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Essential workers--Govt. shutdown

Default Essential workers--Govt. shutdown

Even though the end result will more than likely be paid day(s) off, federal employees are desperately trying to make the case that the work they do is "essential." After all, if your job isn't really essential you are contributing to the wasteful spending that is forcing the shutdown, right? Government workers have been scrambling to prove how important their jobs are with a shutdown looming. Nothing like the bureaucratic infighting that goes on when decisions are being made about who is declared "essential" and who's told not to come in.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

I work for DOD, actually the US Navy. Our group is generally considered "essential." I did hear (may or may not be true) that a group in another building was informed of the possibility that the shutdown could affect them. We have not been informed similarly.

As far as paid days off: I expect if it is a shutdown one would not be paid. However, I also expect that the DOD/Navy/Govt. would offer personnel the opportunity to use their earned/accrued vacation time (annual leave). It would be virtually impossible (as in against the law) for paid shutdown without spending earned leave or compensatory time.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    Even though the end result will more than likely be paid day(s) off, federal employees are desperately trying to make the case that the work they do is "essential." After all, if your job isn't really essential you are contributing to the wasteful spending that is forcing the shutdown, right? Government workers have been scrambling to prove how important their jobs are with a shutdown looming. Nothing like the bureaucratic infighting that goes on when decisions are being made about who is declared "essential" and who's told not to come in.
    The irony is in which "essential" public employee will decide??

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

The "Irony" is that with a 2 week CR the Senate and Congress took a week off vacation the week prior to the shutdown when they could have been working on a budget that should have been passed over 6 months ago. What are we paying these folks for. We have service members in combat that don't get a day off and this shutdown could potentially significantly impact their families back home if this goes more than a week.
    "In GOD we TRUST, for everything else there's JUMPMASTERS!"

Proudly owned by CPR HR Tiger Mountain Liberty "Libby"

Yup ... Congress should not be allowed time off until they get their work done.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Banned

WASHINGTON Warning of economic repercussions, the Obama administration said Wednesday that a government shutdown would halt the processing of tax returns and limit small business loans and government-guaranteed mortgages during peak home buying season.
    The administration said that the Internal Revenue Service would suspend the processing of paper tax returns, though it would continue to deal with electronic returns. The Federal Housing Administration, which guarantees about 30 percent of home mortgages, would stop guaranteeing loans.
    Social Security and Medicare beneficiaries would continue to receive benefits.
    The administration described shutdown planning as congressional negotiators continued to work to strike a deal that sets spending limits through the end of September. Negotiators have until Friday to reach an agreement before triggering a shutdown.

Fannie and Freddie should shut down for good.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

I bet the IRS will still have someone opening paper returns and grabbing the checks out and depositing them!
    The majority of people who are getting a refund have already filed and gotten their money back.
    Procrastinators like me are a small monority.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Just spoke with my mom who works for the VA and she was informed they would still be required to come into work but would not be paid until government started back up again.