The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Dog Containment

Default Dog Containment

This may be a stupid post but I will be getting a new puppy soon and plan on keeping it in a kennel, but it got me to thinking about different ways to keep a dog. So, i just wanted some experienced opinions. What is the best containment for a hunting dog, such as in a kennel, inside the house, fenced yard, electronic fence, or just let it run free? Do you think any way has a negative effect on a hunting dog such as making it to laid back or lazy? Thanks

I keep my dog in the house and I think it has helped benefit her training. You really get to know and read the dog better when you're around her so much. Same goes for the dog too, the more human interaction the dog gets the better she will be at reading your body language and all other ways of communication. Not too mention the bond seems to be a lot stronger, mine is my best friend.
    "Try to be the man your dog thinks you are"

Pat

Letting the dog run loose is NEVER a good idea. The dog will get hit, or shot or stolen.

Invisible fence keeps your dog IN but doesn't keep other dogs, critters, kids OUT.

My dogs are either in the house, in my kennel building or supervised in our fenced areas--they are never even left unsupervised in the fenced yard because they can dig, eat stuff, hurt each other playing, etc.

Meredith

Mine stays in a 12x12 kennel during the day and only allowed the fenced yard when I'm home. Shes allowed inside and sleeps in her crate at night. Dont give them the oppurtunity to get themself in to much trouble with free roam or no supervision until you know your dog very well.

Has anyone tried the DT Sytems GPS one?

You will get 10 different opinions on this. It truly is based around "your needs" and situation... If you have land/farm, then an outdoor kennel during the day may be your best bet. If you live in a house with neighbors having the dog outside all day barking may not be a good option and an indoor kennel or crate may be the solution, though non puppy will be able to "hold it" for 7-10 hours right away. A good balance may be outside in kennel during the day and inside with you at night... Just up to you and your personal situation...

Also- Like someone said... Running free is a bad idea for MANY reasons....