The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best shipping airline from West to East?

Default Best shipping airline from West to East?

I have three pups going to the North East (Shipping into Boston). Since I am in the middle of nowhere and there, I'll either drive to San Francisco or up to Portland. I am trying to find a direct flight at the best price for the new owners.

Any suggestions on best airlines for shipping? Pups will be 8 weeks.

Also, would you typically ship an 8 week old in a 100 or 200 crate?

Thanks.
    Laura Heyden
    Windy Ridge Goldens
    www.windyridgegoldens.com

Most people on this site recommend Continental as the best airline for shipping dogs.
    Ian McNamara
    Middle Tennessee Amateur Retriever Club

It looks like United and Continental go non-stop from San Francisco.

Unless the puppy is huge I can put them in a 100 but it has to be at least 16" tall. The 14" I have been told there was not enough head room. I just tell them it's a 100 when I call in my reservation but it is really an intermediate kennel. Some airlines now want then screwed together-no flippers.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Banned

If you go with Continental, it won't matter. Its weight only. So I put them in a 200 kennel. RARELY, are puppies small enough for a 100.

Continental is prepay only. In my opinon, that's their only drawback.

WRL

Melanie Foster

Getting to San Francisco will be a monster drive for you. You can save yourself three hours each way (and that's without traffic) and ship from Sacramento, but the pups will have to connect via Houston.

I use Continental for 98% of our pups and have never had a problem on a connection. You don't have to sweat checking the temps ahead of time either.

Vari-kennels are taller than most others so you can almost always get away with 100s but they are also heavier and more cumbersome. We use mostly Petmates and can get away with their 100s until pups are about 9 weeks, but our pups aren't very big.

Nancy is right about the ones that snap together, but so far I think Delta is the only one I've seen that won't allow them.

continental has historically been great for me and my buds. just shipped nonstop seattle to atlanta on delta with good service and no problems. as a seller i might feel differently, but as a buyer i would apprciate your extra drive for a non-stop flight on a coast-to-coast transport.

john mc

as a seller i might feel differently, but as a buyer i would apprciate your extra drive for a non-stop flight on a coast-to-coast transport.

But then you are also adding on a long car ride on top of it. If the turn around time is quick, I would rather have the plane have one transfer. I have access to Midwest which is now Frontier and they did a really tight turn around time for me last time. However, unfortunately I pay by the size of the crate. I wish I had continental.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

I used Continental, they temp control rooms. My pup was shipped from Hallam, NE to San Juan, PR and I didnt have any problems. Some other airlines sometimes give you a hard time depending on the season (hot weather), they wont ship it unless its destination will be 85 degrees or less. My pup arrived here in PR in June, summer time which usually here goes from 86 and up, really hot but since their planes have a temp control room I didnt have a problem. The other good part was the price. More than a hundred less than others. Ill recommend it to any body as far as shipping.
    Last edited by TonyRodgz; 04-08-2011 at 04:09 PM. Reason: spelling
    Premier's Carbon Star
    by The Era of Zeus MH (NFC Patton x Ivy QAA by FC AFC Rudy) x
    HR Buck Creek Lexus by Widgeon JH (NAFC Carbon x Splash QAA by FC AFC Cougar)

Carbon Star Katniss
    By FC AFC Windy City's Mighty Mouse (NAFC Carbon x FC AFC Cody) x Flirt'n Lean Lex of Babyduck SH (NAFC Grady x Flirt QAA by NFC Chopper)

Melanie Foster

Quote Originally Posted by ErinsEdge View Post
    But then you are also adding on a long car ride on top of it. If the turn around time is quick, I would rather have the plane have one transfer. I have access to Midwest which is now Frontier and they did a really tight turn around time for me last time. However, unfortunately I pay by the size of the crate. I wish I had continental.
    Also SFO is a very unfriendly airport to get in and out of and there is no place to air pups. Sacramento is easy to get in and out of and you practically drive right up to the cargo office door.

I avoid SFO at all costs but that's just me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TripNDooley View Post
    I have three pups going to the North East (Shipping into Boston). Since I am in the middle of nowhere and there, I'll either drive to San Francisco or up to Portland. I am trying to find a direct flight at the best price for the new owners.

Any suggestions on best airlines for shipping? Pups will be 8 weeks.

Also, would you typically ship an 8 week old in a 100 or 200 crate?

Thanks.
    Have you looked at shipping out of Medford?

WRL