The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 11 y.o , sudden onset full lameness

I've had someone with Old Dog Vestibular disease,this wasnt it. It was like whole body soreness. Thank god shes better now- will wait and see if it comes back.. Thanks all!
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

That is great news about your pooch! Fingers crossed for a full recovery.

junfan68, hoping and praying for you and your friend!! It's not easy knowing that your best friend is struggling and there is very little you can do to help.

Default Sudden Onset Paralysis and Severe Pain in my Flatcoat Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by Billie View Post
    The latest upset here, is my 11 yr old girl, Tommie broke with sudden onset of full body lameness today. Yesterday, I noticed she wasnt feeling 100%, a little diarrhea, but full appetite etc. Just "off" in her gait a little. Today I noticed she moved more lame, but couldnt determine if it was front or rear. This afternoon, she can barely move, very sore, almost wobbly upon getting up. I vetted her this afternoon, no obvious joint pain, he flexed all limbs and got no pain response. He suggested possible neck trauma. I almost wonder if its spinal, as well,(and in fact suggested it). She's not done anything different , same routine, no major traumas to my knowledge unless a wild hooligan plowed into her, although I'd see that....
    Ok.. I know this is an old thread, but there was no answer at the end... What did it turn out to be?
    I ask because I have a 10 year old Flatcoat Retriever, and he was romping and running, chasing balls and playing 3 days ago. That evening, I noticed he was walking funny, like curling his body into a "C" shape, almost walking sideways, and holding his tail to that side, so it almost looked like walking sideways. The next morning he got up and went outside, nothing out of the ordinary. By noon, he is at the top of the stairs and wont move, so we tried to get him to move, and he can't stand up. His back legs wont work, and he seems to be having serious pain when we try to help him. This dog has never snapped or bitten in his life except one time when he was younger.... and he beared his teeth, growled at me and snapped at me when I tried to help him up. He also yelped very loudly. He is in obvious pain. Took him to the vet and she was new to us and I was NOT impressed... I had to ask for medicine for the pain TWICE and she was very reluctant, even though she said it herself that he is very obviously in pretty serious pain.
    Anyway.. we left with Tramadol, Doxicycline and Prednisone, also bloodwork shows Anaplasmosis. They took him back for the bloodwork and what we thought would be Xrays and it took a LONG time.. when they got back they said no Xrays were done, so I wonder what took so long out of our sight. When we got home, he was in SIGNIFICANTLY MORE PAIN!! He could not move, and snapped at me again when I touched him. This is NOT like Shadow, he is one of the mildest tempered dogs I have ever seen. I don't know what they did to him, but I know they didn't help him so I got online searching and I found this forum. After seeing the thread with all the people saying it was probably tick borne, I started looking and sure enough, I found 4 of the strangest shaped ticks I have ever seen. They looked like long finger-like things sticking out of his skin. Almost thought the first one was a skin tag or something, but spotted a little tiny leg and thats all I could see... the rest of his body was burrowed into Shadow's skin. I removed the 4 ticks and he did start to seem a bit better after several hours but he was also medicated, so I'm not sure what it was that helped. This morning he yelped when he picked up his head, but nothing like it has been and he was an hour late on pain meds, and actually got up and came downstairs and went outside. This is a definite improvement because his pain medicine wasn't lasting more than 6 hours before, and we couldn't give it more than every 8-12.
    I am just looking for some advice as to what turned out with your dog, because I am completely unsure if it's the antibiotic killing the anaplasmosis, the steroids reducing the inflamation, or the fact that we pulled these ticks off of his neck. It seems to be the neck as the source of the pain, but the paralysis I am still unsure of, although it hasn't occurred again since day one. They didn't do the Xrays, so I am still questioning if it's possibly an injury to his neck? (I came down 2 days before onset to find one of my diningroom chairs laying over on it's back, and no one knew who knocked it over in the middle of the night, so I wonder if it fell on his neck or something and possibly hurt him?)

All a lot of confusion and worry, so I thought I would reach out and see if you or anyone else had any answers? or advice?

Thank you for listening... I know I'm longwinded.

Nikki

If it is tick born TBD make sure you give Doxy for a good while like 3 or 4 weeks. Doxy is pricy now so don't substitute something else.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Hi MNM,(Nikki)
    Hopefully your old one will recover as well as Tommie did. While this was an old thread, and Im not certain what we determined with her, she did make a full recovery. I suspected then, and now, that one of the youngsters knocked her down or had a blow by another dog. She is 14 next week and ,while aging for sure- she is doing very well. I hope the same for your dog.
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    If it is tick born TBD make sure you give Doxy for a good while like 3 or 4 weeks. Doxy is pricy now so don't substitute something else.
    It was pricey, and the vet said that it is 4 times as much as usual right now due to a nationwide shortage on the raw materials they use to make it. We had to use chewables (green with color so will cause allergic reaction on top of this problem but it's the best we can do right now) from a compounding pharmacy. It is enough to cover for 3 weeks. That is what they gave my shitzhu when she had this too.

He is a little better today late afternoon, but it seems to be touch and go... I called and called earlier today and he didn't come. When I found him, he wasn't moving a muscle, and breathing very shallow, but looking up at me. Scarey, but just taking it one day at a time.
    Going in tomorrow for Xrays and another opinion. He is on Neurontin now too, and that MIGHT be making a little bit of difference.

I will hope for the best. Flatcoats have an average lifespan of 12 years so I know we are going to have to start facing this soon, but I was hoping not this soon.

The roaching over (c shape) is a sign of pain. I would also have a veterinary chiropractor/acupuncturist look at your dog. A friend of mine's golden was doing this and it turned out that it was a slipped disk. With your positive finding for anaplasmosis, I would continue the doxycycline for four weeks as recommended.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com