The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Planned Parenthood

Default Planned Parenthood

20% of women will use PP services in their lifetime.
    83% services to prevent unwanted pregnancies.
    900,000 Pap tests each year.
    800,000 breast exams each year.
    Nearly 4,000,000 test/treatments for STD.
    3% of services abortion related. PP charges $350-950 1st trimester.
    PP receives no federal money for abortion services.

Planned Parenthood has received federal funding since 1970, when President Richard Nixon signed into law the Family Planning Services and Population Research Act, amending the Public Health Service Act. Title X of that law provides funding for family planning services, including contraception and family planning information. The law enjoyed bipartisan support from liberals who saw contraception access as increasing families' control over their lives, and conservatives who saw it as a way to keep people off welfare (Wikipedia).

Planned Parenthood dates its beginnings to 1916 when Sanger, her sister, and a friend open America's first birth control clinic in Brooklyn, New York. In Sanger's America, women cannot vote, sign contracts, have bank accounts, or divorce abusive husbands. They cannot control the number of children they have or obtain information about birth control, because in the 1870s a series of draconian measures, called the Comstock laws, made contraception illegal and declared information about family planning and contraception "obscene."
    Sanger knows the tragic toll of such ignorance. Her mother had 18 pregnancies, bore 11 children, and died in 1899 at the age of 40. Working as a nurse with immigrant families on New York's Lower East Side, Sanger witnesses the sickness, misery, and death that result from unwanted pregnancy and illegal abortion. The clinic she opens provides contraceptive advice to poor, immigrant women, some of whom line up hours before the doors open. Police raid the clinic and all three women are convicted of disseminating birth control information.
    Undaunted, Sanger founds The Birth Control Review, the first scientific journal devoted to contraception. She also appeals her conviction, which leads to a new, liberalized interpretation of New York's anti-contraception statute. In 1923 Sanger opens the Birth Control Clinical Research Bureau in Manhattan to provide contraceptive devices to women and collect accurate statistics to prove their safety and long-term effectiveness.
    That same year, Sanger incorporates the American Birth Control League, an ambitious new organization that embraces the global issues of world population growth, disarmament, and world famine. The two organizations subsequently merge, and later become Planned Parenthood® Federation of America, Inc. (PPFA®) (Planned Parenthood Website).
    Last edited by Losthwy; 04-10-2011 at 03:57 PM.
    What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.

Al Capone did a lot of good things for his neighborhood in Chicago.
    Doesn't excuse the murders committed.

Just sayin'......

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Al Capone did a lot of good things for his neighborhood in Chicago.
    Doesn't excuse the murders committed.

Just sayin'......

RK
    That is the problem right there. Pro-Lifers don't want a fair/balanced approach to this issue. They think everyone involved in abortion are murders and will do anything and everything to stop them no matter what the negative impacts are or what the law states. They know getting rid of planned parenthood will hurt a lot of people but they don't care.
    To be fair if you really see abortion as murder this is a reasoned response. If you knew a medical clinic was providing a great services to a community but 1 out of every 30 patients instead of treating them they would just shoot them in the head, would you stop it even though you were hurting the 29 others. I think everyone would say yes. I don't see it that way but I can understand their position.
    However the government has to respect the law. Abortion is legal, and if PP has made sure that no public funds are going to abortions then this move is I think uncalled for.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate_C View Post
    That is the problem right there. Pro-Lifers don't want a fair/balanced approach to this issue. They think everyone involved in abortion are murders and will do anything and everything to stop them no matter what the negative impacts are or what the law states. They know getting rid of planned parenthood will hurt a lot of people but they don't care.
    To be fair if you really see abortion as murder this is a reasoned response. If you knew a medical clinic was providing a great services to a community but 1 out of every 30 patients instead of treating them they would just shoot them in the head, would you stop it even though you were hurting the 29 others. I think everyone would say yes. I don't see it that way but I can understand their position.
    However the government has to respect the law. Abortion is legal, and if PP has made sure that no public funds are going to abortions then this move is I think uncalled for.
    No. just let Soros and Hollywood pay for it. If the libs want it, let the libs pay.
    Bill Davis