The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: USSA Wins Battle-50 refuges will remain open to hunting.

Default USSA Wins Battle-50 refuges will remain open to hunting.

U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance Foundation
    801 Kingsmill Parkway, Columbus, OH 43229
    Ph. 614/888-4868 • Fax 614/888-0326
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Doug Jeanneret (614) 888-4868 x 227
    April 13, 2011 Sharon Hayden (614) 888-4868 x 226Sportsmen Win Major Courtroom Battle Protecting Hunting on Public Lands

(Columbus) – Federal Judge James S. Gwin has ruled in favor of sportsmen by denying a lawsuit aimed at closing hunting on dozens of units of the 100 million acre National Wildlife Refuge System.
    This long running case began in 2003 when the Fund for Animals, which later merged with the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), filed a lawsuit to stop hunting on 39 refuges. The U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance Foundation (USSAF), along with other organizations, intervened on behalf of sportsmen. Anti hunting groups later expanded the lawsuit to include more 50 refuges.
    Judge Gwin’s ruling stops HSUS' attempt at using the National Environmental Policy Act to close hunting on these refuges. In making the decision the judge noted that “Plaintiffs, however, are not entitled to an inviolate sanctuary for their preferred uses – Congress has determined that, to the extent possible, hunters, fishers, observers, photographers, and educators must share the refuges.”
    The judge's ruling relied heavily on language in the 1997 Refuge Improvement Act, championed by the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, which made hunting, fishing and other wildlife oriented activities priority uses on refuge units. The Act also mandated hunting and fishing activities be "facilitated".
    It is unknown at this time if HSUS will appeal the ruling.
    "The majority of refuges were created to be open to hunting but relentless attacks by anti-hunting groups forced Congress to spell it out in law," said Rob Sexton, USSAF vice president for government affairs. "Now, the courts have once again ruled that hunting is a priority use of refuge land wherever and whenever compatible with wildlife management."
    The U.S. Sportsmen’s Legal Defense Fund (SLDF), the legal arm of the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance Foundation, has worked since the beginning of this case to defend the rights of hunters and has collaborated with other groups including Safari Club International (SCI). Together, the SLDF and SCI are co-counsels and also represent Ducks Unlimited, the National Rifle Association, Izzak Walton League, Delta Waterfowl Foundation, and California Waterfowl Association.
    National Wildlife Refuges provide excellent opportunities for sportsmen to pursue waterfowl, big game, furbearers, and much more. Hunting is a popular public activity on refuge land and a practical means of maintaining optimal wildlife populations.
    The National Wildlife Refuge System Administration Act of 1966 empowered the Fish and Wildlife Service to open refuges to hunting when compatible with the purposes for which the refuges were established. In 1997, National Wildlife Refuge System Improvement Act went a step further. It ensures that refuges are managed for wildlife conservation and that hunting and fishing are priority public uses on refuge units.
    The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance Foundation is responsible for public education, legal defense and research. Its mission is accomplished through several distinct programs, coordinated to provide the most complete defense capability possible For more information about the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance Foundation and its work, call (614) 888-4868 or visit its website, www.ussafoundation.org.
    What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.

just curious is there a list of the 50 Refuges that were on the block
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Sounds good, but....

The Albuquerque Retriever Club used to hold FT and HT on the Bosque del Apache NWR, the premier UFWS refuge in NM. In the 1980's at least one National was held there maybe two. We had two weekends in May open to us, and two in Sep. and at least one in June.
    Then a gradual erosion began. Dog events started to be viewed as improper use of the refuge. Ponds built with the cooperation of DU began to be drained. Then access started to be cut back. Four weekends became two. ARC, no longer doing FT's lost their May weekends for HT's.
    Then they wanted to close us out all together. The local HRC club picked up the fight and have been allowed in Sep.
    It took political pressure from NRA and NM Rep's to allow them to continue.
    The management retaliated with more severe restrictions. The last couple of years, yes, they have allowed access, but to areas the least appropriate to a successful HT.
    Funny thing though, they continue to call each year and ask us to bring trained dogs, and mentor their PR youth snow goose hunt. You can apply for a restricted snow goose hunt on one day. They assign you to a blind were your chance of success is marginal.
    Yes, the area remains open to hunting dove, deer, squirrel, etc. but only in areas where the game is not. Waterfowl hunting....no.
    The area was built with funds from Pittman-Robertson, with DU input.
    Now the area is largely supported by the "Friends of the Bosque" birdwatchers.
    Times change....eh?

JD
    Last edited by JDogger; 04-13-2011 at 07:03 PM.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Bosque del Apache NWR is where Judy Aycock won the National Open with NFC AFC San Joaquin Honcho in 1976

Clint won an Amateur with Judge at Tishomingo NWR ( Sooner RC) back in '74

I have hunted at Cibola NWR (Ariz) on many occasions and have also trained at Camas NWR (ID)

the NWR system is VERY important to the avid sportmen and recreationalist
    Last edited by BonMallari; 04-13-2011 at 10:00 PM. Reason: wrong year on NFC

A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Bosque del Apache NWR is where Judy Aycock won the National Open with NFC AFC San Joaquin Honcho in 1977

Clint won an Amateur with Judge at Tishomingo NWR ( Sooner RC) back in '74

I have hunted at Cibola NWR (Ariz) on many occasions and have also trained at Camas NWR (ID)

the NWR system is VERY important to the avid sportmen and recreationalist
    Then you know why it is so important to keep these areas open. ARC has a small but important cadre still doing FT's. His personna on RTF is Dr. Dog Guy.

We would appeciate all support we can garner. When public hearings are announced would you be willing to forward an affidavite if I give your contact info to the club? JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    Then you know why it is so important to keep these areas open. ARC has a small but important cadre still doing FT's. His personna on RTF is Dr. Dog Guy.

We would appeciate all support we can garner. When public hearings are announced would you be willing to forward an affidavite if I give your contact info to the club? JD
    if you are asking me, then absolutely...I will write or sign any legit petition..will send you my email if you would like. I know my brother would support it too

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    if you are asking me, then absolutely...I will write or sign any legit petition..will send you my email if you would like. I know my brother would support it too
    Thank you, Bon. I will let the board of Albuquerque Retriever Club, and Roadrunner HRC know of you and your brothers support. I will keep you advised of our situation with BDA NWR. At this point Roadrunner HRC is approved for our HT the weekend of 9-10-11-2011.
    ARC is currently using grounds at Navajo State Park for their spring and fall HT's. I know there has been discussion on a OH Qual with ARC.
    I will endevour to keep you informeed. JD

I qualified for a Nat. AM there in 1989. The trip was always fun even as the area got more limits placed on it. Let me know what I can do to help.
    This is what he was all about!:
    Vinny last hunting year
    53 pheasants in South Dakota 200 + ducks in Idaho
    Lasting memories Vinny was 13+ years old!