The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uncertain about future benefits, many veteran teachers are retiring early

Banned

Default Uncertain about future benefits, many veteran teachers are retiring early

Two days before the April 1 teacher retirement notification deadline in Milwaukee Public Schools, Karen Scharrer-Erickson drove to the district's human resources office on her lunch break.
    The teacher of 43 years entered the room. Then she burst into tears.
    "I am totally not ready," Scharrer-Erickson, a literacy coach at the Academy of Accelerated Learning, said this week. "I never thought about retiring until the (Gov.) Scott Walker situation, because this school is so special and I am working with the most incredibly caring teachers I have ever known."
    At a time when the governor's plan to eliminate most collective bargaining for teachers and increase state employees' payments for health care and pension costs looms overhead, some school districts are seeing record numbers of senior teachers such as Scharrer-Erickson turn in their retirement paperwork.

Some districts, such as Oshkosh, Appleton and Madison, have extended their retirement deadlines to Friday. Preliminary figures reported by Oshkosh and Appleton showed a large increase in the number of teachers filing retirement paperwork. Oshkosh's 37 staff retirements is double last year's number and the highest since the district started tracking in 1994. Appleton already had seen 70 retirements from teachers and others in their bargaining group this week, up 29 from last year.
    Mequon-Thiensville's retirements just about tripled from last year: 28 teachers by the Feb. 14 deadline vs. 10 last year. Green Bay also saw three times as many retirements this year compared with last: 140 teachers and 15 administrators, according to a spokeswoman.
    "The amount of experience and expertise that walks out the door with these retirements is going to be impossible to replace,"

In Milwaukee Public Schools, Scharrer-Erickson is one of 207 teachers who have filed paperwork to retire with full benefits, according to the district. That's about double the teacher retirements the district recorded in the summer of 2010, but not the exodus some people had predicted.
    In the Mukwonago School District, where officials declined to extend the teaching contract to keep those guarantees in place, 40 teachers have submitted their retirement requests this year - at least double what Prairie View Elementary School music teacher Jan Rolfe said she has seen in her nearly three decades with the district.
    She's leaving sooner than she expected because she fears what would happen to her retirement plans if she stayed. But she also fears what will happen to the schools in her district when she and the other teachers leave.
    "We're the teachers that these parents have been waiting for their kids to have," she said. "We're the teachers that their brothers and sisters have had. We're the teachers that mentor the newer teachers. And we're all going to be gone."

http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/119892934.html

But it's all about the kids right??????????????????????

Governor Walker in Washington DC

"Just how much did weakening government workers' collective bargaining rights save the state of Wisconsin? demanded Rep. Dennis Kucinich of Ohio.
    "That particular part doesn't save any," Walker replied. Earlier in his testimony, he told the committee the changes would save local governments in Wisconsin more than $700 million a year."

Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton, a Democrat who represents the District of Columbia, asked Walker whether he's met with union representatives since the bill passed. Walker said no, but a member of his administration has.
    Norton suggested Walker should take a lesson on civility from Congress, of all places. Though she often disagrees with Issa, for example, "I have always felt that this was somebody I could talk with and we could have a civil conversation."
    In your shoes, she told Walker, "I would want to take the high road."

And it is not about busting unions either is it????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    Two days before the April 1 teacher retirement notification deadline in Milwaukee Public Schools, Karen Scharrer-Erickson drove to the district's human resources office on her lunch break.
    "I am totally not ready," Scharrer-Erickson, a literacy coach at the Academy of Accelerated Learning, said this week. "I never thought about retiring until the (Gov.) Scott Walker situation, because this school is so special and I am working with the most incredibly caring teachers I have ever known."
    At a time when the governor's plan to eliminate most collective bargaining for teachers and increase state employees' payments for health care and pension costs looms overhead, some school districts are seeing record numbers of senior teachers such as Scharrer-Erickson turn in their retirement paperwork.

Some districts, such as Oshkosh, Appleton and Madison, have extended their retirement deadlines to Friday. Preliminary figures reported by Oshkosh and Appleton showed a large increase in the number of teachers filing retirement paperwork. Oshkosh's 37 staff retirements is double last year's number and the highest since the district started tracking in 1994. Appleton already had seen 70 retirements from teachers and others in their bargaining group this week, up 29 from last year.
    Mequon-Thiensville's retirements just about tripled from last year: 28 teachers by the Feb. 14 deadline vs. 10 last year. Green Bay also saw three times as many retirements this year compared with last: 140 teachers and 15 administrators, according to a spokeswoman.
    "The amount of experience and expertise that walks out the door with these retirements is going to be impossible to replace,"

In Milwaukee Public Schools, Scharrer-Erickson is one of 207 teachers who have filed paperwork to retire with full benefits, according to the district. That's about double the teacher retirements the district recorded in the summer of 2010, but not the exodus some people had predicted.
    In the Mukwonago School District, where officials declined to extend the teaching contract to keep those guarantees in place, 40 teachers have submitted their retirement requests this year - at least double what Prairie View Elementary School music teacher Jan Rolfe said she has seen in her nearly three decades with the district.
    She's leaving sooner than she expected because she fears what would happen to her retirement plans if she stayed. But she also fears what will happen to the schools in her district when she and the other teachers leave.
    "We're the teachers that these parents have been waiting for their kids to have," she said. "We're the teachers that their brothers and sisters have had. We're the teachers that mentor the newer teachers. And we're all going to be gone."

http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/119892934.html

Governor Walker in Washington DC

"Just how much did weakening government workers' collective bargaining rights save the state of Wisconsin? demanded Rep. Dennis Kucinich of Ohio.
    "That particular part doesn't save any," Walker replied. Earlier in his testimony, he told the committee the changes would save local governments in Wisconsin more than $700 million a year."

Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton, a Democrat who represents the District of Columbia, asked Walker whether he's met with union representatives since the bill passed. Walker said no, but a member of his administration has.
    Norton suggested Walker should take a lesson on civility from Congress, of all places. Though she often disagrees with Issa, for example, "I have always felt that this was somebody I could talk with and we could have a civil conversation."
    In your shoes, she told Walker, "I would want to take the high road."

And it is not about busting unions either is it????????????

So are you saying that the teachers get a better retirement if they retire now than in the future?? WHAT A RETIREMENT SYSTEM. Seems to me that makes no sense. Here in tennessee teachers teach summer school the last 5 years they work in order to inflate their salary so their retirement baloons sinch the last 5 years of salary determines the amount of their pension. Makes good sense doesn't it? Current value of the short term dollar is far greater that the current value of the long term dollar. Wish I could have figured out how to make that work. Then I would not have saved til the last 5 years and could retire better than what I wased the last 30 years/

Quote Originally Posted by caryalsobrook View Post
    So are you saying that the teachers get a better retirement if they retire now than in the future?? WHAT A RETIREMENT SYSTEM. Seems to me that makes no sense. Here in tennessee teachers teach summer school the last 5 years they work in order to inflate their salary so their retirement baloons sinch the last 5 years of salary determines the amount of their pension. Makes good sense doesn't it? Current value of the short term dollar is far greater that the current value of the long term dollar. Wish I could have figured out how to make that work. Then I would not have saved til the last 5 years and could retire better than what I wased the last 30 years/
    Yes, these DEDICATED souls are retiring NOW so that they can get a better DEAL for themselves.

They will be agonizing all the way to the bank about all the KIDS they have forsaken for their own BENEFIT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry

See what I'm sayin'????
    Stan b & Elvis

Banned

I'm saying there are going to be alot of good experienced teachers retiring so they do not get screwed out of their pensions. They will probably be replaced with inexpienced teachers ( if they can find any at all to replace them that want to pay high health care costs and will have to contribute more to their retirement).

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Yes, these DEDICATED souls are retiring NOW so that they can get a better DEAL for themselves.

They will be agonizing all the way to the bank about all the KIDS they have forsaken for their own BENEFIT!!!!

See what I'm sayin'????

You saying that you wouldn't do the same?
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    You saying that you wouldn't do the same?
    I don't know what I would do.
    Frankly, I would probably continue to work because I would get bored, and it's doubtful they could do better.
    Of course they could get another job and have 2 pensions.
    I don't have that deal.

If I wanted to sell out and take the cash I would.
    If I was truly dedicated to the kids I would gut it out even with the terrible, unspeakable things that are about to occur to these poor souls.

But I would not claim to be both.

You don't know me, and probably can't accept that, and I understand.
    But I do know me, and I would not take the money and run and claim I was doing it for the kids.

You simply can't have it both ways.

To incorporate one of my Pop's old sayings: "don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining!!"

Thanks Pop, you done good!

RK
    Last edited by road kill; 04-15-2011 at 01:51 PM.
    Stan b & Elvis

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post

See what I'm sayin'????
    Well according to some of the comments by the "retiring teachers" I would say there are alot of teachers will be sorry to leave the schools where they teach and the kids they will be leaving behind. And the total amount of teachers retiring is still not known yet. Just wait until the next school year for the schools to see how they will operate on 900 million dollars less than they had this school year.

Last edited by Roger Perry; 04-15-2011 at 01:57 PM.

Well according to some of the comments by the "retiring teachers" I would say there are alot of teachers will be sorry to leave the schools where they teach and the kids they will be leaving behind. And the total amount of teachers retiring is still not known yet. Just wait until the next school year for the schools to see how they will operate on 900 million dollars less than they had this school year.

I walked into my office after 35 years practicing dentistry and burst into tears Itotally was not ready to retire until the Obama situation because the practice of dentistry is so special and I was working with the most incredibility caring dental assistants and hygienists I have ever known. We were the office that their brothers and sisters have had and we are all going to be gone. We're the dentists that mentor the newer dentists and we are all going to be gone. Woe is us all!!

A little reality check here. A teacher with 43 years experience would be over 65. A teacher with 43 years and age 65 would not be improving their retirement in CA if they taught any longer, in fact they would be losing money. It is hard for me to believe that a 65 year old with 43 years work experience has never thought of retiring. If she really likes the job, she can retire and then put her name on the long term sub list and work part time and still collect her pension.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by T. Mac View Post
    A little reality check here. A teacher with 43 years experience would be over 65. A teacher with 43 years and age 65 would not be improving their retirement in CA if they taught any longer, in fact they would be losing money. It is hard for me to believe that a 65 year old with 43 years work experience has never thought of retiring. If she really likes the job, she can retire and then put her name on the long term sub list and work part time and still collect her pension.
    That is just one teacher that was interviewed. Scott Walker's cutting teacher benefits is what is causing these teachers to retire. Some School districts have 2 to 3 times the normal amount of teachers retiring. And what I meant when I said it about the kids is that Governor Walker plan is going to tear the school system apart in Wisconsin. Between the number of teachers retiring and and 980 million dollars less for the schools to operate on the school systems will fail.