The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Fair taxation?

Additionally corporate income is taxed twice. It is taxed at the corporate level and then those same earnings if not retained are taxed again if they are distributed to the stockholder.
    Last edited by luvmylabs23139; 04-19-2011 at 06:14 PM. Reason: sp
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    Additionally corporate income is taxed twice. It is taxed at the corporate level and then those same earnings if not retained are taxed again if they are distributed to the stockholder.

which is why corporations get blamed for not paying taxes......when in fact they retain the profit to avoid the distribution tax....
    SHR Presque Isle Jaeger Schwab JH (driving the bus)

I think I've just entered the twilight zone.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I'm not talking about how much the rich should pay. I'm saying that I'm not frigg'in rich. However if you take the amount I paid and divide by how much I paid, I ended up paying an overall effective rate of 24%. But reading DNF's original post:

You guys want to point the finger at lower income people that don't pay anything. FINE, OK, that's not fair. But you guys seem to think it's fair for folks who's income has NINE FREAKING DIGITS IN IT to pay that much lower a percentage than I do. And you seem to think it's fair because they are the job creators. I guess I don't contribute one iota so it's fair to take a 7% points higher chunk out of my hide. OK, I get it. They are the water carriers, I'm a water drinker...

PS: I have kid too, but I don't get to take that deduction. At some point they say FY, you can't deduct your kids.
    You don't pay taxes on adjusted gross income. The figure is meaningless when talking about percentages of taxes paid on income. Just some more of pure BS.

I think the discussion is a great example of how "fair taxation" is un-reachable. Who sets what "fair" means? It's a non-starter.

I think I could stomach a system in which ALL individuals earning a living pay taxes, and one that begins eliminating some of the corporations that are getting off scott free - just remember, we will ALL pay for that in increased prices for the goods and services those companies provide, just as most of us benefit from the profits many of those corporations make through investments, 401k, pensions, etc.

BUT - Sanity in taxation requires sanity in spending. One without the other is no better than the status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    I'm with you. The first thing the gov't needs to do is make everyone pays federal income taxes. NOthing pisses me off more than refundable credits.
    The first one to get rid of is the child credit. What a crock that is.
    Just think about it. Those are the same people that use the dept of ed.
    How about those Corporate loopholes that let a large company like GE not pay any taxes, does that piss you off?

Quote Originally Posted by cotts135 View Post
    How about those Corporate loopholes that let a large company like GE not pay any taxes, does that piss you off?
    I'm really surprised at the responses. I thought that proposing a flat tax would be met with acceptance here. Yet the main thrust appears to be to protect the richest of the rich from paying any taxes.

And just to clarify, I don't begrudge ANYONE from using the tax law to the best of their advantage, so long as its legal. We all do that. It just seems the laws (crafted by lobbyists) heavily favor the rich and the corporations, when someone making 9 figures pays a lower rate than someone making 4, 5, or 6 figures. (actually, most making 4 figures fall into the lower tail of non-payers, so just 5 and 6 figure earners)

I would also be open to proposals to delete the child tax credit. I don't know the numbers, but I suspect that is whats responsible for many of the 43%ers who pay nothing. Any one know those figures?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

I am still trying to figure out who is the rich?
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    I am still trying to figure out who is the rich?
    And.....how much should they pay?

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

This is a re post from a previous thread

A lot has been said on this forum about taxes for the rich. Taxes have been a way of life in this country since 1861 which then helped pay for the American Civil war. A progressive tax system was proposed and implemented and has worked for years. Since then I don't think anyone of means has fell to the poverty level because of it.

Should the rich pay more taxes? I think the should, they certainly benefit more from what tax dollars are used for then the poor.

Is it fair? Many things are not fair. Is it fair that one person is born into poverty and the next into unimaginable riches, or someone is born with a birth defect and someone is not? Their are far worse scenarios that could be judged unfair than paying more in taxes, especially when you can afford to do so.

Lets start with interstates and airports. The wealthy get a disproportional benefit from them. It is, after all, the products and services that the rich provide that use both to get distributed.

This is a financial plus for them. What about those big trucks for transport they use that tear up our roads?

As most of you have noticed the rich have more stuff, in a majority of cases a lot more stuff. That stuff is protected by our defense. Bigger benefit, bigger price tag. This apply's to corporations they own located outside the United States.

Corporate welfare costs this country far more than is generally known. A recent report in the NY times says that General Electric paid no taxes on a profit of 5.1 billion. C'mon you have to be kidding me. How many child credits do you think it would take to equal the benefit GE received?

Another thing is that the wealthy have got us into this current economic mess how about taking some responsibility and help us get out of it.

What about the environmental messes that have been left by some big corporations. Where do you think the Superfund money came from to clean up these disasters ?

It is impossible to imagine that if the tax cuts for the rich had expired that the people affected would today be standing in bread lines. I am not suggesting going back to a 70%-90% tax rate, that is absurd, as crazy as thinking our debt is just a spending problem.

Continuing to believe in politicians who shout out "No more Taxes" and who's only self interest is that of getting re elected will lead us to ruin. Electing officials who spend recklessly and disregard sound fiscal policies so that they can get re elected must also stop.

There is a balance here somewhere, It is not where we are at or where were heading.
    Last edited by cotts135; 04-20-2011 at 06:27 AM.