The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Is the 3rd party possible?

Default Is the 3rd party possible?

With all the talk about Libertarians and their views differing with the Republicans and conservatives, we have several serious heavy-thinkers toying with that possibility. At this time, I believe it would be as disasterous as when Perot tried it due to his hatred for Bush the elder.

That is, however, as stated by the Redstate author in this article, the Republicans continue to ignore the Tea Party's push for no more BS about getting serious about the debt...that WAS the mandate of the last election, and if it's not taken serious, another direction might be necessary. Time will tell.

UB

Posted by Erick Erickson (Profile)
    Wednesday, April 20th at 1:24PM EDT

This morning I wrote, “If the Republican Party will not aggressively fight for real cuts and real reform in exchange for raising the debt ceiling, if at all, it very much will be time for a third party in this country.”

The level of hand wringing and disgust from some was predictable. From others, it was downright humorous, if not a bit annoying. For seven years now I have written that third parties are not the way to shift this country. In fact, there is a whole chapter in my book about how third parties are not the answer.
    So, I’m advocating a third party and not advocating a third party? It presents a WTF moment and I don’t mean “winning the future.”

Jim Pethokoukis, who is one of my must reads every day, I think probably got the point in this tweet.

From my book:
    Remember that 300 Spartans held off the Persian Army. Small numbers compared to the thousands of well armed Persians. Small numbers working well together can be powerful numbers. It just takes some dedication.

Because of ballot access laws in the several states, it is virtually impossible to organize and operate a third party. Look at the Libertarians. They have been around for years and have zero nationally elected politicians and very, very few at the local level. Same with the Greens. And remember 1992? The Reform Party stormed onto the scene only to rain out.

If we are to fundamentally change this country, we will do so through the existing party apparatus. And it is damn easy if you work at it with some friends.
    That’s one reason the tea party became so prominent in 2010. It worked as a third party within the existing party apparatus. It did not succumb to the charms of the establishment. It sought to slay the establishment and in many places it worked.

Unfortunately, since the election, we’ve seen a collapse of the national tea party movement, which has become much more fixated on lawsuits and fundraising, and local tea party activists have become very focused on local matters.

If the GOP will not stand and fight on the issue of the debt ceiling and reform, the tea party is going to have to become resurgent in a way we have not seen since the height of the Obamacare debate. During that debate, however, the energy was focused on Democrats. Now that energy must be brought to bear against Republicans, many of whom are even now plotting tax increases and insignificant cuts and structuring of the federal government.

The base needs to work now, within the party, to force the establishment to pay attention. The energy to create a third party and make it viable would distract from the present fight. Instead, the tea party movement needs to act like a third party within the GOP — separate itself from those presently in power if they are not true friends of the tea party movement and then seek to beat them from within.

Along the way, the tea party movement ought to start examining the laws of the several states and see which of them will allow nominations by party convention instead of primaries. Find those states — Georgia is a good example — and start working to force conventions. Then do in those states what happened in Utah to Bob Bennett.

If the Republican Party does not perceive and understand that it is under threat from within by its own base, it will continue surrendering when it should be fighting.
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

I don't think it is a question of "if" but "when".

Does the GOP really offer an alternative to the Dems? Both are big spenders and neither has addressed the growing deficit effectively.

Tea Party? If they stick with the budget and deficit, they may have a chance. I just don't think they can stick to those issues. Add the fact they have zero youth(campus) appeal. Most of the Tea party members I've spoken with and listened to are so far to the right socially that they would never get elected outside of the deep south. That is why I've stated that if they are to have any chance they need to stay focused on the budget and deficit.

The Libertarians have more appeal with a broader spectrum of voters without the negative Tea Party image. They also have also tweaked thier platform to address more of today's issues from the budget to social issues, attracting Moderates, Women, Independents and those disinfranchised by the GOP.

I'm not sure the GOP can reform itself. They too are locked into buying votes with massive pork and entitlements. I kind of hope I am wrong on this because if they do reform themselves, they could upseat Obama. If not, then look for a much stronger 3rd party in 2016. However, politicans like Marco Rubio, Scott Walker and a very few others could save the GOP in 2016.

Yes, as much as I like what Ron Paul has to say, I know he can't win. But, I would rather vote for someone I believe in then settle for the lesser of two evils.
    Last edited by Franco; 04-21-2011 at 03:23 PM.
    The Libertarian Party believes that all persons are entitled to keep the fruits of their labor. A call for the repeal of the income tax, abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We support the passage of a "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the U.S. Constitution, provided that the budget is balanced exclusively by cutting expenditures, and not by raising taxes. LP.org

a third party need two things

1.Infrastructure

2.Funding- lots of funding

the way campaign finance laws are written, they severely handcuff a third party..the best hope a viable third party has is to capture the either the Presidency and have defectors from the other parties or win enough seats in Congress to be power brokers..Both Dems/Rep will do everything they can to quash a third party because then they become the swing vote and the majority isnt as powerful

Would personally love to see a third party,because I think more of America would associate with it...the only question is whether it would be left/center or center/right
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Tea Party = More conservative Republican.

A true third party? Unfortunately, I don't see it happening in our lifetime. There is too much power in the other two they won't let it happen and the media won't pay attention to them anyway. Look at Ron Paul, he never gets any air time.
    Kevin Entwistle

WGD (Worlds Greatest Dog) Cinci Redstocking "Loki", born: Jan. 22, 1999, RIP November 13, 2011
    "Lars" Chilian with the Rainmaker, born: Feb. 2, 2010

"That which you manifest is before you" (The Art of Racing in the Rain)

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson