The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Many Misconseptions On The Subject Of Oil

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Green Mountain, Co
    Posts
    2,300

    Default Many Misconseptions On The Subject Of Oil

    It's a about a five minute read but it supplies some interesting info on the subject of oil.
    Net imports of oil are trending down or up?
    The drilling moratorium in the gulf this past year contributed substantially to the current rise in gas prices, true or false?


    http://factcheck.org/2011/03/is-obam...or-4-gasoline/
    What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,123

    Default

    Because of the current administration policy, domestic production is down for 2011. You can't shut down 13 deep water rigs in 2010 and not expect production to be down in 2011!

    Domestic production could very well be down for the next several years for different reasons. Much of the big equipment needed for drilling has left the area and won't return until they can be leased for new drilling and it is more cost effective for companies to drill in other countries.

    The increses in 2008 - 2010 can be attributed to Bush's more aggressive leasing and opening new areas in the gulf for drilling.
    Last edited by Franco; 04-20-2011 at 08:53 AM.
    The Libertarian Party believes that all persons are entitled to keep the fruits of their labor. A call for the repeal of the income tax, abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We support the passage of a "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the U.S. Constitution, provided that the budget is balanced exclusively by cutting expenditures, and not by raising taxes. LP.org

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Shelbyville, Tn
    Posts
    1,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Because of the current administration policy, domestic production is down for 2011. You can't shut down 13 deep water rigs in 2010 and not expect production to be down in 2011!

    Domestic production could very well be down for the next several years for different reasons. Much of the big equipment needed for drilling has left the area and won't return until they can be leased for new drilling and it is more cost effective for companies to drill in other countries.

    The increses in 2008 - 2010 can be attributed to Bush's more aggressive leasing and openning new areas in the gulf for drilling.
    Franco, thanks for posting again about drillng inthe Gulf. You probably can answer a few questions about the US issueing permits. Given that the recognises at most a 12 mile limit to sovern waters and all that outside that limit as international waters, Why does anyone need a US permit to drill in the Gulf. What is to stop China or Cuba or any other couontry from drilling in these international waters? The only explanation I can think of is that the US would stop any oil company from doing business in the US if they drilled without a permit from the US. If you could explain the US position concerning international waters and a requirement for permits to dirllin these waters, I would appreciate.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caryalsobrook View Post
    Franco, thanks for posting again about drillng inthe Gulf. You probably can answer a few questions about the US issueing permits. Given that the recognises at most a 12 mile limit to sovern waters and all that outside that limit as international waters, Why does anyone need a US permit to drill in the Gulf. What is to stop China or Cuba or any other couontry from drilling in these international waters? The only explanation I can think of is that the US would stop any oil company from doing business in the US if they drilled without a permit from the US. If you could explain the US position concerning international waters and a requirement for permits to dirllin these waters, I would appreciate.

    Thanks
    Cuba with the help of the Chinese are drilling as far away as 60 miles from Cuban shores in deep water.

    In regards to the Gulf Of Mexico, we do claim much more then the 12 mile limit. There was a time and it could still be true today that if you were to draw a line from the Florida Keys to Brownsville, Tx that area of the gulf is claimed by us.

    I'm not up to speed with international laws on drilling but, I would suspect much of it would have to do with infastructure and logisitcs. It takes a lot of onland support to drill in deep water. From equipment, repair, food and manpower. Also, oil companies have spent billions in geological studies of the gulf and any intruder would have to start from scratch if they had any intent of drilling in the gulf, if they were allowed.
    Last edited by Franco; 04-20-2011 at 08:52 AM.
    The Libertarian Party believes that all persons are entitled to keep the fruits of their labor. A call for the repeal of the income tax, abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We support the passage of a "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the U.S. Constitution, provided that the budget is balanced exclusively by cutting expenditures, and not by raising taxes. LP.org

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Shelbyville, Tn
    Posts
    1,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Cuba with the help of the Chinese are drilling as far away as 60 miles from Cuban shores in deep water.

    In regards to the Gulf Of Mexico, we do claim much more then the 12 mile limit. There was a time and it could still be true today that if you were to draw a line from the Florida Keys to Brownsville, Tx that area of the gulf is claimed by us.

    I'm not up to speed with international laws on drilling but, I would suspect much of it would have to do with infastructure and logisitcs. It takes a lot of onland support to drill in deep water. From equipment, repair, food and manpower. Also, oil companies have spent billions in geological studies of the gulf and any intruder would have to start from scratch if they had any intent of drilling in the gulf, if they were allowed.
    Thanks a lot and one more uestion. Do they ofload the oil to tankers at the well site or do they have to pipe it to shore under the sea and then load the tankers?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caryalsobrook View Post
    Thanks a lot and one more uestion. Do they ofload the oil to tankers at the well site or do they have to pipe it to shore under the sea and then load the tankers?

    Usually it is piped to Fouchon, La. one of the greatest fishing spots in the world and still is!

    Once the well is completed, pipe is laid if there is enough production coming from the well.
    The Libertarian Party believes that all persons are entitled to keep the fruits of their labor. A call for the repeal of the income tax, abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We support the passage of a "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the U.S. Constitution, provided that the budget is balanced exclusively by cutting expenditures, and not by raising taxes. LP.org

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •