The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Jim DeMint makes more sense each time I read about him.

Default Jim DeMint makes more sense each time I read about him.

Now he's taking on that debt-raising-limit. One of these days, the left will suddenly see, THERE IS NO MORE MONEY!!!..not even for their precious cowboy poetry.

UB

DeMint: No More Debt Without A Balanced Budget Amendment

Balanced budget or bust. That’s a promise, not a threat.
    by John Hayward

04/18/2011

Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner has been telling interviewers that Republican leaders “offered private assurances to the White House that they ultimately would vote to raise the $14.3 trillion debt ceiling, regardless of whether a deal is reached on long-term spending cuts,” as Fox News reported.

This has prompted considerable anger from some of those Republican leaders. Representative Paul Ryan of Wisconsin was quick to deny any such deal had been made. Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky has been adamant that he won’t vote to raise the debt ceiling unless a balanced budget amendment is part of the deal, and might even support a filibuster to keep the debt ceiling in place..

Now Senator Jim DeMint of South Carolina has issued the same challenge, saying “I will oppose any attempt to vote to raise the limit on our $14 trillion debt until Congress passes the balanced budget amendment.” It sounds like he wants the balanced budget amendment first, which is prudent, but sets up a very brisk legislative timetable. We’re due to hit the debt ceiling in a matter of weeks.

Better get cracking on that Constitutional amendment, Congress! I suggest treating it like those massive trillion-dollar spending bills, and rushing it through the legislature before anyone has a chance to read it. If that was good enough for over $860 billion in “stimulus” spending or a trillion-dollar health care scheme, it’s good enough for a balanced budget amendment.

The Democrats, of course, want their debt limit increase with no strings attached. That’s where the new catch phrase “clean bill” come in. They don’t want one of those “dirty” bills with all kinds of preconditions and restrictions on government power. They just want a shiny new set of credit cards, without any boring lectures on fiscal responsibility from Mr. and Mrs. Taxpayer.

It will be up to those taxpayers to decide who is the “extremist” here, and who is “monkeying around with the full faith and credit of the United States,” as Democrat Chris Van Hollen put it, while demanding unlimited spending without preconditions.

President Obama’s budget proposals would take us past a $20 trillion national debt within a few years. Is he the “extremist,” or is it the people who want to stop the madness now? America's answer to that question will go a long way toward determining its fate.

John Hayward is a staff writer for HUMAN EVENTS, and author of the recently published Doctor Zero: Year One. Follow him on Twitter: Doc_0. Contact him by email at jhayward@eaglepub.com.
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

It sounds like he wants the balanced budget amendment first, which is prudent,
    Yes, it would be prudent ... since after Congress voted to get rid of he czars, POTUS added an executive order to the bill that said he would not do that. If I were one of those in Congress who voted the czars out, I would be hoppin' mad at the "end run" (apparently no warning that POTUS would do that ... unless there was some hanky-panky going on behind closed doors).

So, yeah, I'd want to know the balanced budget thing was signed, sealed and delivered before the debt ceiling were on the table.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.