RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Help With Rules for AKC Hunt Test

3K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  MarkinMissouri 
#1 ·
I have some questions. I'm planning on running my first Junior Hunter test in a few weeks and need to know the guidelines. I'm more familiar with UKC tests, so I need clarification on AKC tests.

Does the dog have to be steady?

What is considered return to hand by the judges?

Are there multiple marks or are they single marks?

Also, if there is anything else you think I need to know, please tell me. I greatly appreciate any responses I get!

#2 ·
I have some questions. I'm planning on running my first Junior Hunter test in a few weeks and need to know the guidelines. I'm more familiar with UKC tests, so I need clarification on AKC tests.

Does the dog have to be steady?

What is considered return to hand by the judges?

Are there multiple marks or are they single marks?

Also, if there is anything else you think I need to know, please tell me. I greatly appreciate any responses I get!
1. No he doesn't have to be steady. You can put a flat buckle collar on him and hold it until released by the judges.

2. The dog must deliver the bird to hand. Unlike HRC started, they can't just drop it at your feet. But he doesn't have to come in to heel, sit and deliver either. As long as he brings the bird to you and you take it from his mouth you're good.

3. Single marks. 2 on land and 2 on water.

Do not play hero and run your dog without a collar. They give you the option so take it. Breathe, have fun and thank your judges.

And Good Luck!

#7 ·
1. No he doesn't have to be steady. You can put a flat buckle collar on him and hold it until released by the judges.

2. The dog must deliver the bird to hand. Unlike HRC started, they can't just drop it at your feet. But he doesn't have to come in to heel, sit and deliver either. As long as he brings the bird to you and you take it from his mouth you're good.

3. Single marks. 2 on land and 2 on water.

Do not play hero and run your dog without a collar. They give you the option so take it. Breathe, have fun and thank your judges.

And Good Luck!
Everything Rick_C wrote is correct, but the part I put in bold is some of the best advice I can think of for someone running Junior (or Started).

There is no extra credit for proving your dog is steady in Junior/Started. You paid your money, now play to pass. You'll have plenty of opportunities to prove your dog's steadiness in Senior/Seasoned/Master/Finished.

#3 ·
Look up AKC Hunt Test Rules and you can down load them.
But to answer you questions:
A Junior level Dog does noy have to be steady, you can hold him by a FLAT buckle collar or run a slip lead under that collar, no English slip leads though.

Delivery to hand is required ,but I have seen some pretty poor examples of "delivery to hand" that were allowed ie: grabbing the bird from the dog as he races past the handler, mulitple drops followed by multiple commands to "Fetch it up!" then a quick grab before the next drop!

You will have single marks, but 2 must be on land and 2 on water.

Do Not handle your dog on the Marks! They are testing the dogs marking ability NOT Handleing.
Keep your cool no matter what happens!

#4 ·
But if you have to handle, you can handle on one mark, per the rules. You don't want your dog switching, for example.

Read the AKC rules, the faults are listed and categorized at the back, ask questions if you are confused about something. JH is pretty basic, don't release your dog before the judges release you for the mark, don't talk to your dog after you signal for the birds until the judges release you. Hand the bird to the judges. JH marks can be up to 100 yards, you may see some water re-entry, live flyers almost always, around here anyway. Usually, the judges cover the basics in the handler's meeting and will answer questions too, so try to be there. They want to help the newbies as much as they can, so relax, have fun, ask if unsure.

#6 ·
But if you have to handle, you can handle on one mark, per the rules. You don't want your dog switching, for example.
Please forgive me, I am NOT trying to be a smart a**, but how does a dog switch on singles?

#5 ·
1. Not really, but I have heard judges say "dogs have 4 legs, so let's make sure they have all 4 of them planted on the ground when the action starts."

2. Just make sure that you get the dog from the dog's mouth. Don't ever pick it up off the ground. There is a thing called the "Junior lunge" or "Junior dive" where a handler will risk it all diving and/or lunging for the bird when they sense the dog is about to spit it out. A lot of young dogs will spit it out when they go to shaking the water off on the water series. Work on it.

3. One bird at a time for Junior dogs.

#19 ·
1. Not really, but I have heard judges say "dogs have 4 legs, so let's make sure they have all 4 of them planted on the ground when the action starts."

2. Just make sure that you get the dog from the dog's mouth. Don't ever pick it up off the ground. There is a thing called the "Junior lunge" or "Junior dive" where a handler will risk it all diving and/or lunging for the bird when they sense the dog is about to spit it out. A lot of young dogs will spit it out when they go to shaking the water off on the water series. Work on it.

3. One bird at a time for Junior dogs.
That must have been quite a Junior test!:shock::shock:

Oh yeah, I gotta bust this little guy out again! :evil:

#8 ·
One other thing I would say is that what you have PROBABLY seen in HRC Started is that water marks land in the water. What you will LIKELY see in AKC Junior is water marks that fall on land. When young dogs are used to only seeing water marks IN the water, they can be very hesitant to leave the water and proceed up the far bank for the mark even though they got a good look at it when thrown. Make sure you practice for this.

Also make sure your dog will pick up a live duck. There will almost always be a shot flier in Junior and the ducks are not always dead when the dog gets there. I've seen dogs refuse to pick up a live duck and I've seen dogs that just didn't know how to catch a crippled duck. If your dog does not have experience with cripples (from hunting maybe) then I would suggest getting a live duck and shackling it or wing clipping it and make sure your dog will retrieve it and that he is comfortable in knowing HOW to retrieve a cripple. I'm not talking about a duck diving under the water, it shouldn't come to that, but a duck that runs/walks away flapping its wings and quacking is a distinct possibility and some young dogs don't handle that well the first few times they see it.

#9 ·
A junior does have to be steady, but may be gently restrained:

Dogs shall be steady but may be brought to the line
on leash with a flat buckle collar. Dogs may be restrained
gently
with a slip cord looped through the flat buckle collar,
or held gently by the flat buckle collar until sent to retrieve.
English slip leads, prong, choke and pinch-type collars are
prohibited. Leashes, including short tabs, shall be removed
before dogs are run.

http://www.akc.org/pdfs/rulebooks/RHTRET.pdf

#11 ·
A mere technicality, but in single marks that is a "return to an old fall" not a switch. A switch can only occur in multiple marks.

In any case, grounds for elimination.

#12 ·
*I preface this by saying that I've yet to witness or participate in any tests, but plan to in the coming months.

How common is the use of a cripple in a JH test, or any test for that matter? I completely understand the use of dead birds, but not cripples. I do think that using them would make the test exponentially more difficult, but I do think PETA or other animal groups would be all over this practice. After watching a number of youtube videos of various JH tests, it seems that the judge takes the bird from the handler and then hangs it in a drying rack. I have yet to see one where the judge takes a bird and places it in a box, or cage with other crippled ducks.

Like I said, I'm incredibly new to this whole world of tests, but it just seems like it would get out of hand to do this with any sort of regularity.

#13 ·
How common is the use of a cripple in a JH test, or any test for that matter?
It isn't a matter of intentionally using cripples. A crippled duck is sometimes the byproduct of using shot flyers. A shot flyer is when they throw/launch a live duck in the air and then shoot it. Sometimes they are not dead when the dog get there, thus a cripple. I've seen a cripple lead a Junior dog on a merry chase all over the field. I've seen dogs simply refuse to fetch them which isn't uncommon in a young dog who hasn't experienced them before.

It doesn't happen that much. It may only happen once in a flight of 30 dogs (or not at all), but if it happens to your dog, then that is 100% for you.

#17 ·
As an AKC judge I encourage you to be sure you are there for the handlers meeeting. I will always ask if there are any first time handlers, upon doing that I remind them that if they have any questions when they get to the line to please ask. I want to see all handlers and dog have fun and success. You paid your entry fee, take your time at the line. Use the tools the rule book allows, give your dog every chance to be successful. Most importantly HAVE FUN...

Good luck

#18 ·
The biggest difference i've noticed between tye two other than the deliver to hand is the use of suction. I am new to runnin test but got to watch some last year. Our first akc test we ran this year had a bunch of suction messin with a dawgs head. Never seen that in my limited experience with ukc test. Our first junior ran was stout but i'm glad it was. I learned a lot about using decoys in our training. We passed but had a few issues with suckin to the decoys on one fall. Also stopped and talked to one of our judges after it was over. I must say Phil Brown is an extemely knowledgable guy who has a passion for the game. He sets up a good test and by test he will test the dog. Very helpful at the line with a new handler like me as well. Was always giving me advice and helpin. Which was good, i was nervous and i know it showed. The pup, well he handled it like an old hand. It was a great entry to akc. Ukc i have not seen that in started from what i have seen. If we see it this weekend on our double run, thanks to our first akc, we are ready

#22 ·
Have your dog ready for terrain changes. For example: land, water, land for a water mark. it may be different than what you are accustomed to in Started.
Have the dog comfortable with a flyer, and experienced working through old scent cones. You may be well down the running order of a large entry test. There will be many places other flyers have fallen. The dog needs to be able to work through these old falls.
Dont recieve your dog from a mark, and grab him by the collar, then take the bird from his mouth. Memeber take the bird first. dont touch the dog, before you take the bird.

Wait till the Judge releases you to send your dog. DONT send as soon as bird hits the ground. This is different from started. The Judge will say "Dog". or the dogs number,, then release.

Gooser.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.