The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 legged dogs

Default 3 legged dogs

I had a dog dropped off for training about a week ago and she's a three wheeler. Owner wanted me to evaluate her and would like to use her as a gun dog and have her trained.

The dog is great from what I've seen so far and seems to get around surprisingly well. My question is what is the likelihood of her having problems with her one rear leg should they decide to have her trained and hunt her. She is fairly high drive and I see how much pressure she puts on that one leg and it scares me.

Figured there might be a few people on here that have had experience with a 3 legger.
    Craig Klein
    Fischer's Kennels & Hunt Club

www.fischerskennels.com

Chris has a 3 wheeler!!! There are several people online with them and they dont seem to have any problems with them
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

You mean like?

Chris can tell you all about that hunting trip.

There is also a U-Tube clip on here somewhere of a 3 wheeler running a Master stake at the Lee Kay Center SLC Utah
    Last edited by tom; 04-29-2011 at 04:17 PM.
    "there is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance --- that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    Herbert Spencer

that is awesome, my friend had a 3 legged vizula that would hobble around when it would walk but had no problem running, very birdy and it didnt slow him down on retrieves

Chris tell us about the hunting trip... PLEASE
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

Me personally if I wanted to keep up the training, hunting and testing I would give a supplement for joints. All of the wear and tear on her one hip, I would want to help her all I could to reduce wear and tear. Just my 2 cents.
    "Be who you are and say what feel...Because those that matter... don't mind... And those that mind... don't matter"

Quote Originally Posted by JustinS View Post
    Chris tell us about the hunting trip... PLEASE
    It's a scary story, but many lessons were learned. Shows how quickly things can happen.

Kristie Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    You mean like?

Chris can tell you all about that hunting trip.

There is also a U-Tube clip on here somewhere of a 3 wheeler running a Master stake at the Lee Kay Center SLC Utah
    Whose dog is the black? I would love some feedback on having the front leg missing (re "Fred" our three-legged rescue dog)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristie Wilder View Post
    Whose dog is the black? I would love some feedback on having the front leg missing (re "Fred" our three-legged rescue dog)
    It showed up on a canned hunt that Chris went on. He probably remembers the guys name, I believe the dog was called "Chief".

The black missing the front leg in the video (that we can't find) belongs to Bill Gillette.
    Last edited by tom; 04-29-2011 at 10:44 PM.
    "there is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance --- that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    Herbert Spencer

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ht=lanny+mossy

There are several threads still around about Luke and other 3 legged dogs. Many of the posts about the hunting accident that cost his leg are lost from the database.

I believe that a rear leg missing is a bit easier on a dog than a front leg missing. They seem to bear more weight on the front and they run and turn easier with two fronts and one rear. Open water swimming is no problem with a missing rear leg. Hopping over sticks and crud, however, with only a pogo stick on the back is problematic.

Luke died in 2008, I believe. He had a good life and lived about 5 years on three legs. He hunted, hunt tested, etc.

Two rear legs means the dog's got a spare. One rear leg means the dog will be in pretty good shape, but if he looses that one, it's going to be tough. As long as the remaining leg is structurally sound, and the dog is kept in good condition and not allowed to get overweight, the dog may live a normal life, just as long as any 4 legged dog would.

Luke was actually featured in the March 2011 Field and Stream magazine in the Eukanuba ad. I was tickled when I got the call from an old buddy doing the F&S advertising who asked if Luke was a Euk dog. I got really choked up going through old Luke photos to find one that they wanted for the ad.

Luke and his sire Champ pretty much raised me from a punk kid to a middle-aged guy.

Take good care of that back wheel!

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Just got done training with a dog with three legs. I just can not beleive the desire the heart these dogs possess. It put alot of thing in perspective