The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 legged dogs

3 legs brings memories and tears! Nilaks Cool and Groovy MH aka Austin lost a rear wheel due to cancer. At 5 years old with an amateur win we were coming back from a Shreveport trial when we noticed the limp, rest did not help, it was not an ACL. John Sherman at Vet Hab took over and the NC State research center finally found the bad news. Austin lost the leg at the hip on a Monday. He came home on Tuesday and could not lay down as he just spun around the kitchen, finally marty laid down on the floor with him and he settled. From that night on he was marty's. On that Thursday Austin was resting in the truck as others trained, he made so much noise that finally we got him out. It was clear he wanted to work. A short blind was planted and he made it out there and he asked for another. If you could have seen him run with bone flopping, stiches bleeding. We realized he was a retriever and wanted his ducks.

Soon he was sent back to John and Crystal for rehab- yes we spent money to rehab a 3 legged choclate lab. He was entered in his first hunt test, a master test at that. he went on to become a master hunter and qualified and ran at the 2006 MN in California. In 2007 Austin took a second in a Canadian Amateur, they still talk about the 3 legged dog and not the team that won. That year a double handle in the 8th at the National ended his run. The cancer returned that winter and Austin could not win the second time.

Many of the people in the southeastwill recall the brown dog with the big heart, we see him every day in Powers his offspring that will soon turn 3.

I would do it again and not bat an eye.
    Dave and Marty Kress

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kress View Post
    3 legs brings memories and tears! Nilaks Cool and Groovy MH aka Austin lost a rear wheel due to cancer. At 5 years old with an amateur win we were coming back from a Shreveport trial when we noticed the limp, rest did not help, it was not an ACL. John Sherman at Vet Hab took over and the NC State research center finally found the bad news. Austin lost the leg at the hip on a Monday. He came home on Tuesday and could not lay down as he just spun around the kitchen, finally marty laid down on the floor with him and he settled. From that night on he was marty's. On that Thursday Austin was resting in the truck as others trained, he made so much noise that finally we got him out. It was clear he wanted to work. A short blind was planted and he made it out there and he asked for another. If you could have seen him run with bone flopping, stiches bleeding. We realized he was a retriever and wanted his ducks.

Soon he was sent back to John and Crystal for rehab- yes we spent money to rehab a 3 legged choclate lab. He was entered in his first hunt test, a master test at that. he went on to become a master hunter and qualified and ran at the 2006 MN in California. In 2007 Austin took a second in a Canadian Amateur, they still talk about the 3 legged dog and not the team that won. That year a double handle in the 8th at the National ended his run. The cancer returned that winter and Austin could not win the second time.

Many of the people in the southeastwill recall the brown dog with the big heart, we see him every day in Powers his offspring that will soon turn 3.

I would do it again and not bat an eye.
    Dave and Marty Kress
    I never got to meet Austin, but I'm sure glad I got to meet Powers! (And Marty and Dave too)

Thanks for coming to Pinckneyville and giving up your weekend!

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

They give us their all...... all they ask is shelter, food, water and LOVE! Dogs are truly amazing animals..... this world is a better place because of them. Hug your dogs!

Chuck

Here is a thread on the two legged dog Dex. http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...Two-Legged-Dog