The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Deutsch Drahthaar Breed

Default Deutsch Drahthaar Breed

Just wondering what some of you might think about a Deutsch Drahthaar and how they perform. This is my first duck dog so i was just curious if i took the right route.

I'm not trying to be a smart alec, but it is a little late to be asking that question, don't you think? You already made your decision.

Seeing as this is a RETRIEVER forum, I'm guessing almost everyone here will think that some type of RETRIEVER would be a better choice for a "duck dog."

It seems to me that where a Drahthaar would shine would be as a versatile dog in hunting both upland birds and furbearing animals and tracking same and if the dog is also a passable duck dog then so much the better.

That's my opinion. I wish you luck and lots of fun with this dog regardless.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Quote Originally Posted by quack-a-holic View Post
    Just wondering what some of you might think about a Deutsch Drahthaar and how they perform. This is my first duck dog so i was just curious if i took the right route.
    Definitely can be done. Hang out a bunch with him and see what his personality is like and train from there. Might take a little longer or a more steady tone, but stick with it and I bet you will be surprised. Good luck and post up some pics of your pup.

Senior Member precisionlabradors's Avatar

i've eyed them up and wondered the same thing. love those beards. i like some versatility here and would love to see how your dog does on waterfowl. keep us posted.
    find me on the web

I had one for 9 years. She was very devoted to me, unlike my labs. She was very birdy.

She wouldn't swim for anything except me leaving her on an island and paddling away. Didn't make any difference warm or cold water.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

We've trained a couple of them and they are very talented duck dogs (among other things). Really, really capable breed.
    Bob Foster

Check out a NAVHDA chapter near you. Excellent place to start versatile dog training.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

I've got a 3 year old female DD that was brought home and spent her first few weeks at home with a litter of labradors I bred 3 years ago. Those pups all had access to swim in the pool as they were born mid summer. I have to say in water work she is very solid and I wouldn't say she is far behind many of the labradors I've seen in water. Maybe not quite as solid in brutal weather but her entry and desire in water is amazing.

They do offer another level when it comes to upland hunting but they wouldn't be marking in retrieving on land the way a labrador does. No question the DD can be really versatile and a fine dog when you get a well bred one. Put in the work with the dog and you might be surprised at how great they are. I'm a lab guy and my family are all about labs but this little Draht has won us over so much. We love her. She never ever stops hunting and has killed everything thats entered our yard which you don't see with labs. They love fur.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheasanthunter41 View Post
    I've got a 3 year old female DD that was brought home and spent her first few weeks at home with a litter of labradors I bred 3 years ago. Those pups all had access to swim in the pool as they were born mid summer. I have to say in water work she is very solid and I wouldn't say she is far behind many of the labradors I've seen in water. Maybe not quite as solid in brutal weather but her entry and desire in water is amazing.

They do offer another level when it comes to upland hunting but they wouldn't be marking in retrieving on land the way a labrador does. No question the DD can be really versatile and a fine dog when you get a well bred one. Put in the work with the dog and you might be surprised at how great they are. I'm a lab guy and my family are all about labs but this little Draht has won us over so much. We love her. She never ever stops hunting and has killed everything thats entered our yard which you don't see with labs. They love fur.
    As a dd owner "they love fur" is an understatement!! Just a couple of weeks mine decided to take on a big old coon that must have had a late night..The coon was a real fighter who tried to chew the face off my dog, but in the end he lost...When it comes to fur they get pretty amped up! Mine is a little over the top for me sometimes, but you will never catch him loafing during a hunt. They live to hunt and their drive to find game both dead and alive is pretty impressive..