The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unemployment Claims Highest In 8 Months

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    The Republican Governors keep cutting school budgets, taking away chunks of income by increasing the ammount public employees have to pay for health insurance and increasing what they have to contribute to their retirement and cutting other programs putting more people out of work faster than than jobs can be created. No wonder unemployment is still high.
    I guess from your statement unemployment is only high in Republican controlled states?
    Or maybe the Republicans are the only ones willing to address the long term issues.

Perhaps you should look at the root cause of having to cut programs. Most cities and states will not or can not run deficits. So when revenue drops then programs need to be cut or revenue has to increase. Thus laying off of public employees and the shifting of expenses for their health and retirement.

I am one of those public employees (municipal fire dept)and I for one do not have an issue with paying more for my retirement benefits and health care, after all it's mine. The citizens pay me a decent wage that I have agreed to work for in fact I have not had a raise for the past 4 years and we have even taken a 5% cut to balance our cities budget. The city has cut its budget and increased taxes to make the budget work. Its time for the public employees to stop whining and pay at least as much as the private sector does or face the risk of being outsourced to the private sector or bankrupting their cities and states.

The feds are the next ones that need to reduce benefits and cut jobs!
    John Abramson

Retriever Supply
    www.retrieversupply.com

American Retriever
    www.americanretriever.com

Code 3 retrievers
    www.code3retrievers.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by code3retrievers View Post
    I guess from your statement unemployment is only high in Republican controlled states?
    Or maybe the Republicans are the only ones willing to address the long term issues.

Perhaps you should look at the root cause of having to cut programs. Most cities and states will not or can not run deficits. So when revenue drops then programs need to be cut or revenue has to increase. Thus laying off of public employees and the shifting of expenses for their health and retirement.

I am one of those public employees (municipal fire dept)and I for one do not have an issue with paying more for my retirement benefits and health care, after all it's mine. The citizens pay me a decent wage that I have agreed to work for in fact I have not had a raise for the past 4 years and we have even taken a 5% cut to balance our cities budget. The city has cut its budget and increased taxes to make the budget work. Its time for the public employees to stop whining and pay at least as much as the private sector does or face the risk of being outsourced to the private sector or bankrupting their cities and states.

The feds are the next ones that need to reduce benefits and cut jobs!
    You will be ok with it until your local government has to cut jobs and you are on the list. Should you get laid off won't you have to pay all your health insurance out of pocket via Cobra????????? How much will you be contributing to your retirement without a job???????????? God forbid that should not happen to you.

WEST PALM BEACH — The city's firefighter union chief warned city leaders that "more people who are in need of medical help will die" from budget cuts that took effect this week, but Mayor Jeri Muoio - in her fourth day on the job - defended the cuts Tuesday and said that layoffs are likely.
    As of Monday, as few as 39 firefighters are on duty each day, down from 45. Six rescue trucks are staffed with two, instead of three, firefighters, because overtime was eliminated this week, except for special events.
    Twenty-eight positions already were eliminated over the past two years through attrition, bringing the total staff to 192.
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/we...y-1378275.html
    Last edited by Roger Perry; 05-06-2011 at 05:02 PM.

You will be ok with it until your local government has to cut jobs and you are on the list.

WEST PALM BEACH The city's firefighter union chief warned city leaders that "more people who are in need of medical help will die" from budget cuts that took effect this week, but Mayor Jeri Muoio - in her fourth day on the job - defended the cuts Tuesday and said that layoffs are likely.
    As of Monday, as few as 39 firefighters are on duty each day, down from 45. Six rescue trucks are staffed with two, instead of three, firefighters, because overtime was eliminated this week, except for special events.
    Twenty-eight positions already were eliminated over the past two years through attrition, bringing the total staff to 192.
    Other than the government WHO HASN'T HAD TO CUT JOBS?? wHO HASN'T HAD TO TAKE PAY CUTS OTHER THAN GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES? WHO HASN'T SEEN THEIR RETIREMENT SAVINGS GO DOWN OTHER THAN GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES? Tell me tell me. I don't know of any.

Banned

Rick Scott Florida's new Republican Governor ran a campaign on "lets get to work" What does he plan to do????????????

Scott also wants to eliminate 7 percent of the state's government jobs, which would mean about 6,700 state-worker layoffs. He wants even more cuts the following year.

Sounds more like lets get on unemployment. Like I said the Republican Governors are putting more people out of work faster than others can be employed. Is it a wonder unemployment is still high????????????

Looks like the Republicans want to inflate the unemployment numbers with all the layoffs.
    Last edited by Roger Perry; 05-06-2011 at 04:59 PM.

You will be ok with it until your local government has to cut jobs and you are on the list.

WEST PALM BEACH — The city's firefighter union chief warned city leaders that "more people who are in need of medical help will die" from budget cuts that took effect this week, but Mayor Jeri Muoio - in her fourth day on the job - defended the cuts Tuesday and said that layoffs are likely.
    I have no problem cutting over-staffing but when the city came to us and said we need to cut bodies we chose to take a pay cut as well as give up other benefits so that firefighters with less then 3 years on would not be laid off.
    Its called sacrifice during tough times and working with the administration to make things work. We take care of our own when we can.
    Would I lose my job probably not (able to retire soon) but I voted for a pay cut rather then see the 20 year old fire fighters lose their job.
    We also down sized through attrition.

Where do you think this money is going to come from? Maybe Obama could just print more. Until the economy recovers no one's salary or benefits are safe.

I love the typical Union response that more people will die. That is a choice for the public to make. If you want services you will have to pay for it but the public sector has gotten out of whack in most states and needs to be balanced. Why should my job be any different.

If they did away with my job tomorrow I wouldn't whine about it I would go out and reinvent myself and make more money then I do now. I just happen to enjoy the job I do.
    Last edited by code3retrievers; 05-06-2011 at 05:03 PM.
    John Abramson

Retriever Supply
    www.retrieversupply.com

American Retriever

Code 3 retrievers
    www.code3retrievers.com

I have no problem cutting over-staffing but when the city came to us and said we need to cut bodies we chose to take a pay cut as well as give up other benefits so that firefighters with less then 3 years on would not be laid off.
    Its called sacrifice during tough times and working with the administration to make things work. We take care of our own when we can.
    Would I lose my job probably not (able to retire soon) but I voted for a pay cut rather then see the 20 year old fire fighters lose their job.
    We also down sized through attrition.

Where do you think this money is going to come from? Maybe Obama could just print more. Until the economy recovers no one's salary or benefits are safe.

I love the typical Union response that more people will die. That is a choice for the public to make. If you want services you will have to pay for it but the public sector has gotten out of whack in most states and needs to be balanced. Why should my job be any different.

If they did away with my job tomorrow I wouldn't whine about it I would go out and reinvent myself and make more money then I do now. I just happen to enjoy the job I do.
    RIGHT ON RIGHT ON

Quote Originally Posted by caryalsobrook View Post
    Other than the government WHO HASN'T HAD TO CUT JOBS?? wHO HASN'T HAD TO TAKE PAY CUTS OTHER THAN GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES? WHO HASN'T SEEN THEIR RETIREMENT SAVINGS GO DOWN OTHER THAN GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES? Tell me tell me. I don't know of any.
    Unfortunately this is not entirely true. I know my salary has been cut, we have positions cut but not through layoffs, our retirement savings were in the same 401k's and 457 plans as everyone else. Our state retirement which I have contributed for the past 23 years at 7.65% while our city contributed 2% or less is now in a shambles and has been changed to correct the problems. (Higher rates 11% and longer terms before retirement)

Our unions here chose a common sense approach to work with the State in correcting the problems with the retirement system, to make it solvent with out burdening the State further.
    I would never trust any one else for my retirement including my pension system or the federal government even though we are not eligible for Social Security.
    Perhaps perhaps everyone should plan for their own future and not depend on any other entity.
    John Abramson

Retriever Supply
    www.retrieversupply.com

American Retriever

Code 3 retrievers
    www.code3retrievers.com

Unfortunately this is not entirely true. I know my salary has been cut, we have positions cut but not through layoffs, our retirement savings were in the same 401k's and 457 plans as everyone else. Our state retirement which I have contributed for the past 23 years at 7.65% while our city contributed 2% or less is now in a shambles and has been changed to correct the problems. (Higher rates 11% and longer terms before retirement)

Our unions here chose a common sense approach to work with the State in correcting the problems with the retirement system, to make it solvent with out burdening the State further.
    I would never trust any one else for my retirement including my pension system or the federal government even though we are not eligible for Social Security.
    Perhaps perhaps everyone should plan for their own future and not depend on any other entity.
    I see you are from a border state that has to shoulder a burden that states like mine do not. I does my heaart good to see one who works for the government recognize that the problem is real and wants to take a sane approach to solving it.
    Your last sentence "perhaps everyone should plan for their own future and not depend on any other entity", is exactly what many of us have had to do.

I do have one question though. I did not realize that there were still state employees that were exempt from social security. That appears to allow your state to avoid the 7%+ share of the tax and only contribute less that 2%. Is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by caryalsobrook View Post
    I see you are from a border state that has to shoulder a burden that states like mine do not. I does my heaart good to see one who works for the government recognize that the problem is real and wants to take a sane approach to solving it.
    Your last sentence "perhaps everyone should plan for their own future and not depend on any other entity", is exactly what many of us have had to do.

I do have one question though. I did not realize that there were still state employees that were exempt from social security. That appears to allow your state to avoid the 7%+ share of the tax and only contribute less that 2%. Is that true?
    You are basically correct. In AZ public safety was allowed to opt out approximately 30 years ago (just an estimate). The city does not pay into Social Security and neither do I but I will not be entitled to any benefit unless I work at least 40 quarters at another occupation. The cities share fluctuates with our fund values and the number of members retired. For my first 18 years of my career our city paid 0-2% but after the last crash and the short fall of the retirement funds due to the states mismanagement, it has caused the cities portion to rise to extremely high levels well above the rate of Social Security. Our state along with the unions have attempted to cap the taxpayers portion and at the same time raised our contribution to the system to over 11% from 7+%.
    Up until a few years ago our pension was funded at over 120% but now is 60% funded. The fund was heavily invested in real estate as well as other investments that went sour.

It is in everyone's best interest to straighten out the mess. I benefit from having a pension for hopefully 30+ years of service and the public gets a cap on their liabilities or the alternative is to have a bankrupt pension system.

I do not know the original intent of the opt out other then most Fire fighters retire around the age of 52-53 and have a 10 year or so life expectancy after retirement (this is a statistic that I had read 20 years ago) so they would never on average reach the Social Security retirement age. Today's firefighters are living longer due to the use of self contained breathing apparatus and healthier life styles but we still die at a much younger age then the average person due to sleep schedules, stress, and the absorption of toxins and carcinogens through our skin during fire fighting operations.

By the way people like Roger have very little understanding of how a lot of local governments work. In our state it is illegal for a city to run a deficit.
    There are only 2 choices cut services or raise taxes, ultimately it is the public's decision.
    Last edited by code3retrievers; 05-07-2011 at 12:13 AM.
    John Abramson

Retriever Supply
    www.retrieversupply.com

American Retriever

Code 3 retrievers
    www.code3retrievers.com