The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Repeal Frank-Dodd & End The Fed

Default Repeal Frank-Dodd & End The Fed

Our only shot at returning to a FreeMarket economy before it is too late!

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...154010575.html

With the slow death to our Free Market economy over the last 100 years, Government speculation into what they think as opposed to reality is why we have the mess we have today, mostly created by the Fed Reserve and short-sighted politicians.

No More, Too Big To Fail!
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson

Look at the markets from 1800-1913. They were a mess. They have 5 different depressions nearly the size of the great depression. There was massive instablity. Is that what you want to return too.Since the great depression however things have really improved. Over time the deviation in inflation has been consistently shrinking, markets have stabilized, the banking sector is so much better. This is due to the regulation and the Fed. There is opportunity to improve and I do not like many of the Feds moves recently. But getting rid of these tools would be a big mistake

Recently, a majority of economist would say the fed has helped stabilize the economy. Through TARP and new bank regulation. The reason things are still bad now has little to do with financial markets. Now the problem is that the US economy doesn't have a bubble to live off of and we are coming to realize that we have lost many of our competitive edges. these are long term issue. Wall street has it's issue but getting rid of the fed would be stupid I think. I like Ron Paul but he is a little bit crazy.

Yes there are 10-20 banks that are too big to fail. However, that whole argument that it encourages too much risk don't make sense. Who are the decision-makers in a bank. The stockholders and the senior leadership right? What happens if the bank gets in trouble? Yes, if needed the fed will come in and save the bank but they only save the infrastructure of the bank. In all the major banks that got in deep trouble the CEOs lost their jobs and the stock holders took a bath. So the people that make the decisions have no protection, thus no incentive to take excess risk. Well except for Goldman which is a whole different story and stinks if you ask me.

The regulation is critical becasue there are massive agency problems in the Banking and finance sectors. At times they have acted predatory toward it's customers and it is good that the government steps in and protects consumers.
    Last edited by Nate_C; 05-10-2011 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate_C View Post
    Look at the markets from 1800-1913. They were a mess. They have 5 different depressions nearly the size of the great depression. There was massive instablity. Is that what you want to return too.Since the great depression however things have really improved. Over time the deviation in inflation has been consistently shrinking, markets have stabilized, the banking sector is so much better. This is due to the regulation and the Fed. There is opportunity to improve and I do not like many of the Feds moves recently. But getting rid of these tools would be a big mistake

Recently, a majority of economist would say the fed has helped stabilize the economy. Through TARP and new bank regulation. The reason things are still bad now has little to do with financial markets. Now the problem is that the US economy doesn't have a bubble to live off of and we are coming to realize that we have lost many of our competitive edges. these are long term issue. Wall street has it's issue but getting rid of the fed would be stupid I think. I like Ron Paul but he is a little bit crazy.

Yes there are 10-20 banks that are too big to fail. However, that whole argument that it encourages too much risk don't make sense. Who are the decision-makers in a bank. The stockholders and the senior leadership right? What happens if the bank gets in trouble? Yes, if needed the fed will come in and save the bank but they only save the infrastructure of the bank. In all the major banks that got in deep trouble the CEOs lost their jobs and the stock holders took a bath. So the people that make the decisions have no protection, thus no incentive to take excess risk. Well except for Goldman which is a whole different story and stinks if you ask me.

The regulation is critical becasue there are massive agency problems in the Banking and finance sectors. At times they have acted predatory toward it's customers and it is good that the government steps in and protects consumers.
    There is more financial instability now than at any time in our history thanks to the Fed! They continue to weaken the dollar at the request of the Treasurey Secretary.

We don't have a bubble currently? Heck, we have the biggest bubble in the history of this country. Instead of addressing the bubble, they just push it further down the road making it bigger and bigger.

Why should the Fed ever save any bank? If a bank makes bad decisions then shame on them and the people that place thier money there. Insuring despositors money up to $100,000. is one thing, proping up failed financial institutions is financial crazyness!

Nate, what do you have against the USA returning to a Free Market economy? Has the government done a good job of managing the people's money, industry, anything other then our military?
    Last edited by Franco; 05-10-2011 at 08:12 PM.
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Nate_C View Post

Name me ONE regulation, just ONE regualtion that has stabilized the economy over a long period of time. JUST ASKING

Banks & Financial play a critical role in our economy. Without them the economy would grind to a halt. No Checks, Credit Cards, bank cards. Also who do you think processes all the cash in this country? 10 largest banks: process 80% of all payments in this country. They also provide loans to small businesses and consumers. They are market makers in that way. If you lose one is would take years to replace them. If you lose 200 it would create a huge void. It would turn a 2-3 year recession into a 10 year recession.

No we are not in a bubble now. A bubble is an artificial acceleration of the economy. Though the housing inventory is still out there and accelerator (jobs & investment income) from the housing market has dissipated. So my point was that even after we “recover” from the current recession, we are never going back to where we were.