The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Waterboarding, Why is it torture?

Default Waterboarding, Why is it torture?

OK, serious question. For those that believe water boarding is torture, what is your reasoning?

Seems to me I went through worse in the 70's just to get a red cross advanced survival swimming pass as a youngster. We did everything in lake not a pool.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    OK, serious question. For those that believe water boarding is torture, what is your reasoning?

Seems to me I went through worse in the 70's just to get a red cross advanced survival swimming pass as a youngster. We did everything in lake not a pool.
    This could be a reason-----------------

Although a variety of specific techniques are used in waterboarding, the captive's face is usually covered with cloth or some other thin material, and the subject is immobilized on his/her back. Water is then poured onto the face over the breathing passages, causing an almost immediate gag reflex and creating the sensation that the captive is drowning.[1][2][3] Waterboarding can cause extreme pain, dry drowning, damage to lungs, brain damage from oxygen deprivation, other physical injuries including broken bones due to struggling against restraints, lasting psychological damage and, if uninterrupted, death.[4] Adverse physical consequences can manifest themselves months after the event, while psychological effects can last for years.[5] The term water board torture appears in press reports as early as 1976.[6]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterboarding

Well the stock answer used to be that torture didn't work for getting valuable information. Guess that myth is busted....

Executing terrorists without a trial is OK, Waterboarding a terrorist to gain information and letting them live, not OK. Doesn't seem too logical to me. I guess they could have asked UBL if he wanted the bullet or to be waterboarded repeatedly for 6 months and live in prison the rest of his life and see what the terrorists think is the worse option. Personally I think 6 months of waterboarding then the bullet to the head would have been better but I'm ok with how it went down too.

Skywatcher Salem Orchard Hard "Cider"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBayDog View Post
    Well the stock answer used to be that torture didn't work for getting valuable information. Guess that myth is busted....

Executing terrorists without a trial is OK, Waterboarding a terrorist to gain information and letting them live, not OK. Doesn't seem too logical to me. I guess they could have asked UBL if he wanted the bullet or to be waterboarded repeatedly for 6 months and live in prison the rest of his life and see what the terrorists think is the worse option. Personally I think 6 months of waterboarding then the bullet to the head would have been better but I'm ok with how it went down too.
    The information obtained was after the waterboarding stopped.
    Waterboarding Timeline Shows Torture Did Not Lead To Getting Bin Laden

Khalid Shaikh Mohammed was reportedly waterboarded 183 times, but that took place years before he was at Gitmo, and did not produce information leading to bin Ladenís demise. By the time the name of the courierís name, Abu Ahmed al-Kuwaiti, was learned, it was 2007, and that was years after waterboarding and rendering to black sites had stopped.

http://www.alan.com/2011/05/03/water...ing-bin-laden/

Torture, according to the United Nations Convention Against Torture (an advisory measure of the UN General Assembly) is:
    ...any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him, or a third person, information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity. It does not include pain or suffering arising only from, inherent in, or incidental to, lawful sanctions. --UN Convention Against Torture[1]

Torture is prohibited under international law and the domestic laws of most countries in the 21st century. It is considered to be a violation of human rights, and is declared to be unacceptable by Article 5 of the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Signatories of the Third Geneva Convention and Fourth Geneva Convention officially agree not to torture prisoners in armed conflicts. Torture is also prohibited by the United Nations Convention Against Torture, which has been ratified by 147 states.[2]

I've seen numerous vidoes and it doesn't seem like torture to me.
    Oh, heck a bad guy might feal pain. WAH WAH WAH!!!!
    HMM psycho damage??? What have terrorists been doing to the entire free world?
    Still think it is NOT harsh.
    Looks like a walk in the park compared to what kids did in the 70's to get that Red CRoss anvanced survival swimming pass.

Roger,
    You are a sympathizer. Dont you wish you could ask Daniel Pearl if he would have rather been waterboarded or would you just want your head cut off?
    This is a fight for survivial, that you don't seem to get. This is war, but this is not a normal war with rules only pertaining to one side. If or when you have a family member killed by terrorist maybe then you will sing a different tune.
    These people feel nothing for human life, and you are offended by our actions to get to the bottom of these terror groups and kill them one by one from the top down.

Where do I send your one way ticket? As your travel agent, I will pick a nice cozy mud hut, so you can sit around sip tea and talk about how violent the US is in its torture methods. All the while you strap a bomb vest on a school child to go and kill US Servicemen who happen to handing out tables and pencils that day.
    As a vetran who served my country for 22 years, allowing people like you freedoms to enjoy makes me sick. I truly hope you check your status in this life to see who's side you are on.
    Oh and Roger, how many friends and family did you have killed on 9-11?
    canine n. Synonymous with courage, valor, trust, selflessness. If we learned to be half of what dogs are, the world would be a much better place

Roger, you went through worse than this in SEAL school, didn't you??

Just askin'........

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

OK Roger,
    Is this torture?
    Flip someone into the water, pitch black lake, off a boat and have the boat flipped on top of them??? NO lifejacket?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 2labs View Post
    Roger,
    You are a sympathizer. Dont you wish you could ask Daniel Pearl if he would have rather been waterboarded or would you just want your head cut off?
    This is a fight for survivial, that you don't seem to get. This is war, but this is not a normal war with rules only pertaining to one side. If or when you have a family member killed by terrorist maybe then you will sing a different tune.
    These people feel nothing for human life, and you are offended by our actions to get to the bottom of these terror groups and kill them one by one from the top down.

Where do I send your one way ticket? As your travel agent, I will pick a nice cozy mud hut, so you can sit around sip tea and talk about how violent the US is in its torture methods. All the while you strap a bomb vest on a school child to go and kill US Servicemen who happen to handing out tables and pencils that day.
    As a vetran who served my country for 22 years, allowing people like you freedoms to enjoy makes me sick. I truly hope you check your status in this life to see who's side you are on.
    Oh and Roger, how many friends and family did you have killed on 9-11?
    We have people here in the United States prison system that have no regard for human life if what you say is true why don't we torture them????????????

We are supposed to set the example for the world. Why do we have to stoop to the terrorists level??????????? There were atrocities performed by the Germans and Japaneese against American prisoners of war. Did that mean we needed to treat the German and Japaneese POW the same way ours were treated???????????

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Roger, you went through worse than this in SEAL school, didn't you??

Just askin'........

RK
    I never said I went to SEAL school. Get it right don't start spreading lies about me. I said SEAL recuriters came to our Radio school in Bainbridge Maryland.