The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flea and tick medication

Default Flea and tick medication

Is anyone not using any of the monthly treatments? I ask only because when I apply it to my 2yo lab, he starts walking around in circles and acting like it is bothering him. Or am I off of my rocker?

There's a bunch of flea/tick medicines out there. First, check with your Vet and he'll recommend one. However, check Walmart for Pet Armor at $28 per 3 mos worth.

Greg Lee
    Timberpond Retrievers

has anyone been using the pet armor long enough to give a true opinion? I use advantix and wouldn't mind saving a few dollars if it works the same.

Mikegillam, thanks for your post. You are not off your rocker. Our 2 year old yellow female does the same thing when I apply the topical flea medication. She starts walking around in circles as well and stays away from everybody. The good news is it only lasts the first day its applied. Never had any of our other dogs act this way, they always ignored it. Each time I apply it now she seems to react a little better. You'd think she'd get over it by now.
    I just bought the three pack Walmart product Pet Armor for $28 which is $20 less then Frontline. Both products contain the exact same ingredients. How much difference could there be?

I recd an email recently about some holistic preparation that was supposed to be good, but who knows. http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...k-control.aspx

I use Frontline here, but have some of the new generic Fiprogard on backorder w/ Omaha Vaccine now that frontline's patent has run out. May have to run by Walmart if that product is fipronyl since we are due. Saw a tick crawling on the baby the other day!

Both products are displayed next to one another. According to the labels they have the exact same ingredients. I suppose there could be some difference in the exact same ingredients (age purity etc), but I don't know.

I still get mine from my vet.
    Tom Dorroh

Frontline quit working on my dogs. I switched to K-9 Advantix and have had great success.
    Professor
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR CH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC (Blew)

Since Frontline lost its patent, you should be seeing more "generics" entering the market. Pet Armour does have the same ingredients, the only issue being it is produced in Malaysia. Sergeant has a product out called Fiproguard which has the same ingredients as Frontline, but is still made in the US. Retail is should be around $15-20 less than Frontline.

I switched to Scalibor collars and I've gotten much better results. Haven't found an embedded tick on them since and a lot less crawlers. When I was using frontline I found some engorged ticks and tons of crawlers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikegillam View Post
    Is anyone not using any of the monthly treatments? I ask only because when I apply it to my 2yo lab, he starts walking around in circles and acting like it is bothering him. Or am I off of my rocker?
    Sounds like he's having a sensitivity reaction to the chemical; prob. overdose symptoms. Some dogs may be more sensitive to fipronil than others. Advantage (imiclaprod) is tolerated better by dogs, but isn't effective on ticks and doesn't last as long.