The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flea and tick medication

Quote Originally Posted by eobrien01 View Post
    I switched to Scalibor collars and I've gotten much better results. Haven't found an embedded tick on them since and a lot less crawlers. When I was using frontline I found some engorged ticks and tons of crawlers.
    Frontline doesn't kill ticks until after they bite. It also doesn't repel ticks or fleas either. From my understanding, K9 Advantix and Vectra 3D are the only ones that repel. Vectra is still controlled through prescription though I believe.
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH QAA (Shooter)

Troy, that is my understanding as well. That is why I paid $90 for just enough K9 Advantix for my three, (won't even provide 2 months for all of them) I sure wish there was a generic that would work!!!!!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I put my dogs on Revolution a couple of months ago. It takes care of fleas, ticks, heart worms, round worms, and hook worms. It does not kill tapes. I found a couple of fleas and one dead tick on my dogs in the first week. Since then, nothing including after my dogs were in an area where I ended up being a tick buffet even after using repellent. It ain't cheap at $80 for six doses (at Drs. Foster & Smith) but it actually works out about the same as the combined heart worm treatment and flea preventative I was using. Plus, my older dog who has had sensitivity problems in the past with flea topicals had no problems with it. Once it was dry in just a few minutes, he was right back to his normal self.
    Last edited by J. Walker; 05-19-2011 at 09:39 AM.
    "When a good trainer stops learning about dogs, he stops being a good trainer." the late Gene Hill

"If you want to find out what kind of trainer you are, leave your transmitter in the truck." the late Rex Carr

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood..../dog_formulas/

I have been using Advantix the past 3 months have have found several live feeding ticks on my dogs neck. A little pissed off I bought 8 doses, which was well over 100 bucks.

I like the idea of the tick collar but would hate taking it off every day for training.
    Gavin B.

I put the scalibor collar on pretty tight and tuck it under the shock collar during training. The only time I take it off is when we run a test/trial. The collar is supposed to be waterproof and last 6 months. The vet said that the dogs shouldn't bite each others collars when playing but my dogs dont really do that.

I've had excelllent success with BioSpot. I know some say its not a "waterproof" as the others, but I've been using it on several dogs for going on 3 summers now and have not had a flea or tick issue at all.
    Josh Ward

HRCH UH Crosspeakes Colonel Cooper 600+ HRC points

O.P.E. Retrievers

Outdoor Product Exchange

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Ward View Post
    I've had excelllent success with BioSpot. I know some say its not a "waterproof" as the others, but I've been using it on several dogs for going on 3 summers now and have not had a flea or tick issue at all.
    I quit using BioSpot several years ago because it just flat out didn't work. I used it with my late Golden and it seemed to work fine but the last two years, there was no reduction in fleas or ticks and I even treat the yard several times in the spring and summer. For me, while it is cheaper, it was money wasted.
    "When a good trainer stops learning about dogs, he stops being a good trainer." the late Gene Hill

"If you want to find out what kind of trainer you are, leave your transmitter in the truck." the late Rex Carr

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood..../dog_formulas/

Been using BioSpot for several years, no ticks, no fleas. But whatever works, use it (or not).

Senior Member DrCharlesBortellPhD's Avatar

Homemade natural tick and bug repellent. 1 cup Avon Skin So Soft oil, 2 cups white vinegar, 1 cup water, 1 tablespoon Eucalyptus oil. Fills a 32 oz. spray bottle. Spray on dogs everyday before training, keeps the ticks away. Spray on yourself too!

Works!! Especially great to use in conjunction with "commercial tick/flea treatments" because will not interfere or react to chemicals in them and adds an extra barrier for dogs, especially in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    Frontline quit working on my dogs. I switched to K-9 Advantix and have had great success.
    Professor

Great choice!

FYI, K9 Advantix is now K9 Advantix II. New improved formula... with an added ingredient to kill eggs.

Found 2 ticks on my dog out training recently that were deader than dead, didn't have a fighting chance to start feeding.

Please note: When applying K9 Advantix II... be sure to apply to 4 spots, unlike other meds.

Barb
    Ten - BLM - FC AFC Bluenorth's Rock Hard Ten MH (at stud)
    stud link, info & photos on RTF: http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...Ten-MH-QAA-WCX

http://www.lanesend.com/2012/02/rock...d-to-beat.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Canidae - Natural Pet Foods - http://www.canidae.com
    K9 Advantix II- Take a bite out of Fleas, Ticks & Mosquitoes - http://www.advantixiicanine.com/
    OllyDog - New Tricks in Gear for Dogs - www.Ollydog.com