The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flea and tick medication

Quote Originally Posted by DrCharlesBortellPhD View Post
    Homemade natural tick and bug repellent. 1 cup Avon Skin So Soft oil, 2 cups white vinegar, 1 cup water, 1 tablespoon Eucalyptus oil. Fills a 32 oz. spray bottle. Spray on dogs everyday before training, keeps the ticks away. Spray on yourself too!

Works!! Especially great to use in conjunction with "commercial tick/flea treatments" because will not interfere or react to chemicals in them and adds an extra barrier for dogs, especially in the field.

Thanks for the info/formula. I've used Avon, as well, going to add your ingredients... most definitly in Conjunction with tick med, that being K9 Advantix II. Repels well.

Barb
    Last edited by Ten; 05-20-2011 at 07:42 AM.
    Ten - BLM - FC AFC Bluenorth's Rock Hard Ten MH (at stud)
    http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...Ten-MH-QAA-WCX

http://www.lanesend.com/2012/02/rock...d-to-beat.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Canidae - Natural Pet Foods - http://www.canidae.com
    K9 Advantix II- Take a bite out of Fleas, Ticks & Mosquitoes - http://www.advantixiicanine.com/
    OllyDog - New Tricks in Gear for Dogs - www.Ollydog.com

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post

I use Frontline here, but have some of the new generic Fiprogard on backorder w/ Omaha Vaccine now that frontline's patent has run out. May have to run by Walmart if that product is fipronyl since we are due. Saw a tick crawling on the baby the other day!
    I hope you'll let us know how the Fiproguard works out. I saw it in the PetEdge catalog. Looked up the MSDS, and while the active ingredient is the same, the inactive ingredients are different. I'm curious if that will make a difference as to how it spreads and covers the dog (which I suspect of being the main issue in whether it protects a dog or not). I decided to go with Frontline again this time around.

Amy Dahl

PREVENTIC This collar is from Virbac and it kills and detaches Ticks for 3 months. It is the only product that my vet says will work well with dogs who go in and out of the water. Since I have used it, the dogs have had zero ticks. I, on the other hand, need to wear one because this is the worst year in memory for ticks in the south.
    Gwen Jones

Gemstone's Formal Attire ( Tux ) QAA
    Gemstone's Stimulous Bailout ( Cash ) QAA
    Gemstone's Skyy Blue

In Memory
    FC Gemstone's The Raven
    Gemstone's Tyra Banks QAA
    Gemstone's Lotta Boom SH
    Gemstone's Sweet Southern Jazzmine MH

Thanks to all who replied online and private messages. Since I don't have enough posts to pm back, this has to serve as my thanks.

[QUOTE=windycanyon;802513]I recd an email recently about some holistic preparation that was supposed to be good, but who knows. http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...k-control.aspxQUOTE]

thanks for posting. very fair price to test out.

Quote Originally Posted by afdahl View Post
    I hope you'll let us know how the Fiproguard works out. I saw it in the PetEdge catalog. Looked up the MSDS, and while the active ingredient is the same, the inactive ingredients are different. I'm curious if that will make a difference as to how it spreads and covers the dog (which I suspect of being the main issue in whether it protects a dog or not). I decided to go with Frontline again this time around.

Amy Dahl
    Amy,
    I have 2 doses left of Frontline and the Fiproguard was just getting shipped out today, so it'll be interesting to see as well. So far, all reports have been good. Lord knows I have plenty of ticks here, and thankfully Lyme is not an issue... I just hate the things!

I have been using Vectra 3D per my Vet I have only found 1 tic on my pup and he spends alot of time in the high grass around the house. No Flea issues and the only day I found that was after a day of swimming. So I ask this of all of you smarter than I.

Does swimming reduce the or eleminate the effectiveness of the product?

thanks
    Jonathan
    "Ad Medicor Proeliator"
    Medic Up!

Anyone use the Liberty brand of flea tick topical, that is available at Tractor Supply??

Swimming doesn't lessen Vectra, it is waterproof provided you don't bath them with soap 24 hrs before or 24 hrs after a treatment. With Vecta some dogs may experience "creeping skin" after it is applied but it doesn't cause any problems. It usually only lasts a day and if you keep applying the product each month it shouldn't happen again after a couple of treatments. It has happened to a couple of dogs at our clinic and the owners thought the dogs were very uncomfortable and wanted there money back and they called Summit and Summit reimbursed them. The info I just gave is from the tech support lady at Summit labs that makes Vectra. If the pets seem uncomfortable after treatment they can bath the dog in dawn and that will lessen the "creepies" but it will also lessen the product. Benadryl can also be given.
    Generic products may or maynot have the same ingredients as the real macoy what you are paying for is the support if your dog has an adverse reaction to the medication. If you get the products from the vet and there is a problem the company will pick up the cost from treatments or they garentee there products if your not happy you get your money back. Can get that treatment from generic products.
    JoAnn Stancer
    Sandspring Chesapeakes
    MySpace Blog:
    http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...ndID=442677052

To live for today

I pulled this up since one of my puppy buyers was asking about flea control where she lives, and I knew somewhere there was a discussion.

Amy, the Fiproguard has been working great for me. Just ordered another couple year supply. That said, we only really need to apply it for ~2, maybe 3 mos of the year. No flea issue here.