RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Flea and tick medication

6K views 30 replies 25 participants last post by  Jim Stevenson 
#1 ·
Is anyone not using any of the monthly treatments? I ask only because when I apply it to my 2yo lab, he starts walking around in circles and acting like it is bothering him. Or am I off of my rocker?

#4 ·
Mikegillam, thanks for your post. You are not off your rocker. Our 2 year old yellow female does the same thing when I apply the topical flea medication. She starts walking around in circles as well and stays away from everybody. The good news is it only lasts the first day its applied. Never had any of our other dogs act this way, they always ignored it. Each time I apply it now she seems to react a little better. You'd think she'd get over it by now.
I just bought the three pack Walmart product Pet Armor for $28 which is $20 less then Frontline. Both products contain the exact same ingredients. How much difference could there be?

#5 ·
I recd an email recently about some holistic preparation that was supposed to be good, but who knows. http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/natural-flea-and-tick-control.aspx

I use Frontline here, but have some of the new generic Fiprogard on backorder w/ Omaha Vaccine now that frontline's patent has run out. May have to run by Walmart if that product is fipronyl since we are due. Saw a tick crawling on the baby the other day!

#22 ·
I use Frontline here, but have some of the new generic Fiprogard on backorder w/ Omaha Vaccine now that frontline's patent has run out. May have to run by Walmart if that product is fipronyl since we are due. Saw a tick crawling on the baby the other day!
I hope you'll let us know how the Fiproguard works out. I saw it in the PetEdge catalog. Looked up the MSDS, and while the active ingredient is the same, the inactive ingredients are different. I'm curious if that will make a difference as to how it spreads and covers the dog (which I suspect of being the main issue in whether it protects a dog or not). I decided to go with Frontline again this time around.

Amy Dahl

#6 ·
Both products are displayed next to one another. According to the labels they have the exact same ingredients. I suppose there could be some difference in the exact same ingredients (age purity etc), but I don't know.

I still get mine from my vet.

#7 ·
Frontline quit working on my dogs. I switched to K-9 Advantix and have had great success.
Professor

#20 ·
Great choice!

FYI, K9 Advantix is now K9 Advantix II. New improved formula... with an added ingredient to kill eggs.

Found 2 ticks on my dog out training recently that were deader than dead, didn't have a fighting chance to start feeding.

Please note: When applying K9 Advantix II... be sure to apply to 4 spots, unlike other meds.

Barb

#8 ·
Since Frontline lost its patent, you should be seeing more "generics" entering the market. Pet Armour does have the same ingredients, the only issue being it is produced in Malaysia. Sergeant has a product out called Fiproguard which has the same ingredients as Frontline, but is still made in the US. Retail is should be around $15-20 less than Frontline.

#11 ·
Frontline doesn't kill ticks until after they bite. It also doesn't repel ticks or fleas either. From my understanding, K9 Advantix and Vectra 3D are the only ones that repel. Vectra is still controlled through prescription though I believe.

#12 ·
Troy, that is my understanding as well. That is why I paid $90 for just enough K9 Advantix for my three, (won't even provide 2 months for all of them:-x) I sure wish there was a generic that would work!!!!!

#13 · (Edited)
I put my dogs on Revolution a couple of months ago. It takes care of fleas, ticks, heart worms, round worms, and hook worms. It does not kill tapes. I found a couple of fleas and one dead tick on my dogs in the first week. Since then, nothing including after my dogs were in an area where I ended up being a tick buffet even after using repellent. It ain't cheap at $80 for six doses (at Drs. Foster & Smith) but it actually works out about the same as the combined heart worm treatment and flea preventative I was using. Plus, my older dog who has had sensitivity problems in the past with flea topicals had no problems with it. Once it was dry in just a few minutes, he was right back to his normal self.

#15 ·
I put the scalibor collar on pretty tight and tuck it under the shock collar during training. The only time I take it off is when we run a test/trial. The collar is supposed to be waterproof and last 6 months. The vet said that the dogs shouldn't bite each others collars when playing but my dogs dont really do that.

#16 ·
I've had excelllent success with BioSpot. I know some say its not a "waterproof" as the others, but I've been using it on several dogs for going on 3 summers now and have not had a flea or tick issue at all.

#17 ·
I quit using BioSpot several years ago because it just flat out didn't work. I used it with my late Golden and it seemed to work fine but the last two years, there was no reduction in fleas or ticks and I even treat the yard several times in the spring and summer. For me, while it is cheaper, it was money wasted.

#19 ·
Homemade natural tick and bug repellent. 1 cup Avon Skin So Soft oil, 2 cups white vinegar, 1 cup water, 1 tablespoon Eucalyptus oil. Fills a 32 oz. spray bottle. Spray on dogs everyday before training, keeps the ticks away. Spray on yourself too!

Works!! Especially great to use in conjunction with "commercial tick/flea treatments" because will not interfere or react to chemicals in them and adds an extra barrier for dogs, especially in the field.

#21 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info/formula. I've used Avon, as well, going to add your ingredients... most definitly in Conjunction with tick med, that being K9 Advantix II. Repels well.

Barb

#23 ·
PREVENTIC This collar is from Virbac and it kills and detaches Ticks for 3 months. It is the only product that my vet says will work well with dogs who go in and out of the water. Since I have used it, the dogs have had zero ticks. I, on the other hand, need to wear one because this is the worst year in memory for ticks in the south.

#24 ·
Thanks to all who replied online and private messages. Since I don't have enough posts to pm back, this has to serve as my thanks.

#27 ·
I have been using Vectra 3D per my Vet I have only found 1 tic on my pup and he spends alot of time in the high grass around the house. No Flea issues and the only day I found that was after a day of swimming. So I ask this of all of you smarter than I.

Does swimming reduce the or eleminate the effectiveness of the product?

thanks
Jonathan

#29 ·
Swimming doesn't lessen Vectra, it is waterproof provided you don't bath them with soap 24 hrs before or 24 hrs after a treatment. With Vecta some dogs may experience "creeping skin" after it is applied but it doesn't cause any problems. It usually only lasts a day and if you keep applying the product each month it shouldn't happen again after a couple of treatments. It has happened to a couple of dogs at our clinic and the owners thought the dogs were very uncomfortable and wanted there money back and they called Summit and Summit reimbursed them. The info I just gave is from the tech support lady at Summit labs that makes Vectra. If the pets seem uncomfortable after treatment they can bath the dog in dawn and that will lessen the "creepies" but it will also lessen the product. Benadryl can also be given.
Generic products may or maynot have the same ingredients as the real macoy what you are paying for is the support if your dog has an adverse reaction to the medication. If you get the products from the vet and there is a problem the company will pick up the cost from treatments or they garentee there products if your not happy you get your money back. Can get that treatment from generic products.

#30 ·
I pulled this up since one of my puppy buyers was asking about flea control where she lives, and I knew somewhere there was a discussion.

Amy, the Fiproguard has been working great for me. Just ordered another couple year supply. That said, we only really need to apply it for ~2, maybe 3 mos of the year. No flea issue here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.