Tug of War with a retriever puppy
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tug of War with a retriever puppy

Default Tug of War with a retriever puppy

I'm just curious if that works for people and is beneficial. I remember doing it with my first pet lab. She enjoyed it. I avoid doing it.

I only have on example but my current lab hits a rolled up towel like a GSD, even taught her a steady hold... no damage or mouthing and especially no trying to play tug with a bumper or a bird. She knows the difference.
    Last edited by DarrinGreene; 03-31-2016 at 07:30 AM.
    Darrin Greene

I have never done that in the past. With my most recent pup I used Hillmann's method for puppy training. He believes that it is not a problem in the puppy stage. But I now have a year old dog that will always try and play tug. With fun bumpers i almost always need to sit him or he will play tug.

I would not advocate it. I do not see the benefit in ever allowing it to start and wish that I never had.

I always thought tug of war would lead to stickiness. I don't do it. JMO.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR BISS BIS GCH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    HR CH Carolina's Tale of the Hare SHR (Bea)

No way two problems that show up in tug a war puppies for me . #1 sticking to birds #2 just another thing you have to train out as to were the puppies learns to run from you and keep objects away from you

Quote Originally Posted by DDietrich View Post
    I have never done that in the past. With my most recent pup I used Hillmann's method for puppy training. He believes that it is not a problem in the puppy stage. But I now have a year old dog that will always try and play tug. With fun bumpers i almost always need to sit him or he will play tug.

I would not advocate it. I do not see the benefit in ever allowing it to start and wish that I never had.
    Teach the dog a solid "out" command when he's standing. It's easy to do and will solve your issue. Playing tug isn't the issue - it's inadequate teaching of the "out" command that causes your problem.
    Darrin Greene

With my pups I don't play tug at all. After they have been FF'd and we are in play situations I've done it in that context. When we are training tug doesn't even come into play at all. That way I keep play activities completely separate from our work activities. They learn the difference and I don't have any issues that way
    Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble) 5/1/2009 - 1/3/2012

I personally think they know the difference between work and play. My 3 play tug a war all the time with each other with a rope . Never had a problem with a bird. I wouldnt let them play with a bumper or bird.

I opted not to play tug of war with my pup, but I think it can be done successfully as long as you are smart about it. I just didn't see any advantage to doing it, and knew there were a slew of other ways to entertain my dog.

I have a rope with leather strips attached to it that I use with every litter. They chase it, kill it, play tug all while other strips are slapping them, gets prey drive going early.