The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dan Hosford- Working Man's Retriever

Default Dan Hosford- Working Man's Retriever

I never see anyone talk about using the Dan Hosford material...is there a reason? I think he's really awesome...and super easy to follow, especially for beginners like myself. Is he just undiscovered, or is everyone partial to Evan Graham or Mike Lardy? Just want some insight!
    SHR Kentucky Lake's Best Chance
    Kentucky Lake's Lean Cuda Sky (needs 1 more pass)

Are you talking about Dan Hosford from Spokane? He's a real nice guy, I remember him from running NAHRA back in the 90s. I didn't know that he had a training program. Is it a book, DVD both?

John

Never heard of him....
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:

MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

I googled and came up with 4 videos @ $35 each that cover ob and the conditioned retrieve. Most people here are very performance oriented and want a complete program that has proven successful in whatever venue they compete in. That may be why you don't hear him mentioned. I did not know who he was either. That does not mean he does not have something to offer.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

i judged his string of dogs at the NAHRA invitational. every dog was well mannered, eager and a joy to watch. i believe every one of them passed, if my memory is correct.

whatever he has to say is probably worth listening to if you in the HT game, in my opinion.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    i judged his string of dogs at the NAHRA invitational. every dog was well mannered, eager and a joy to watch. i believe every one of them passed, if my memory is correct.

whatever he has to say is probably worth listening to if you in the HT game, in my opinion.-Paul
    I don't know him other than seeing him at a few hunt tests long ago, never trained with him, but my opinion is the same as Paul's.

.... and from the little I was around him, he was a straight shooter and a nice guy.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

A very nice and knowledgeable man. His DVDs have just started coming out. The conditioned retrieve set was released last year and the obedience one came just a month or two ago:

http://www.goestores.com/storename/d...pt-259259.aspx

They're both 2-disk sets that run 6-7 hours and are broken down step-wise so you can watch it and then train it. What's really cool is that he's using dogs in that phase of training so you get to see different escape responses happening in real time and how to deal with them.

I know he's about completed the upland DVD, which is about 3 hours in duration, I believe, and is planning a puppy DVD, started dog, advanced dog, secrets of blinds and I think there's another one or two planned. He has a pretty good Facebook page with some videos, etc:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dan-Ho...17323798321747

Like I said, and others did too, nice guy with lots of knowledge. Been at it since 1971.

When I got my first field golden and decided I wanted to work on putting a WC on her , several people recommended Dan. I have worked with him for 3 years now and believe me, he had his work cut out training me, training the dog was a piece of cake. One of his favorite sayings is “Rarely is it the dog I worry about.” Dan’s passion is training the trainer to train their dog and this comes across in his DVD’s. He is excellent at explaining not only how to do something but why. These videos are just starting to come out. I only wish they had been available when I started out! They would be a good addition to anyone’s training library.
    Jean

MHR Firemark Serendipity MH, CDX, NA, NAJ, NF "Seren"
    WR Firemark Little Hot Tee***, "Tee"

Banned

I've known Dan for 11 years and consider him a friend.
    He is very well known out here in the West and particularly the Pac NW, especially in the NAHRA circles.
    He is a darned good trainer. I've seen Dan run hundreds of dogs -- a few of his lower level dogs seem a bit intimidated when coming to the line (but very mannerly), but his upper level dogs are very very focused and do not seem intimated at all.

I haven't seen any of his material, but my guess is that they are worth the money.

Banned

I've been judged by Dan a number of times and I've judged him a few times.
    I may be cutting my own throat here, because Dan threatened me that if I ever put this picture of him up in a public area, that he would never pass me again ...

Just to show you that he is a "real" dog person, here is a pic of him giving lovies to a pocket pooch............... It took me a long time to be able to sneak up on him and get a picture like this.
    I suppose my days of passing a Hosford test are over with